Scooter batteries. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Scooter batteries. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Monday, 22 May, 2017 - 01:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

after 10 years my scooter batteries have failed. The scooter now has a range of 10 yards before shut down.

The battery case has 2 x 21ah 12v deep cycle batts.(24v) £30 each inc vat plus £7.5 post. So not too bad. However I get my son to check further for a better price.

I suspect only one battery has failed so I will have a spare.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, 22 May, 2017 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert
I have never had experience with scooter batteries, but have had a lot of experience with laptop and hand tool batteries.
Through bitter experience I have found that you definitely get what you pay for with batteries.
Many a time I had found cheaper generic batteries whose poor performance far outweighed the saving that I made.
Cheers!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Tuesday, 23 May, 2017 - 03:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pat,

I was thinking about quality. The originals have lasted 10 years, I suspect the replacements wont last as long.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Wednesday, 24 May, 2017 - 02:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

IMO lithium-ion batteries are the way to go.
For more storage capacity, you can downsize and have less weight and no harmful gassing given off that happens with the old lead acid types.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Wednesday, 24 May, 2017 - 06:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pat L

Thats not a bad idea because the battery case just slots into the scooter with automatic electrical connections, the guts are held in with screws and velcro, so lion could just as easily be used I shall investigate. I am in no hurry.

I will need the scooter on GE June 8 for rebel rousing.

John Beech
Grand Master
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, 26 May, 2017 - 16:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, I second what Patrick L. says with one caveat. The charger will needs be vastly different. Do not attempt to charge using a lead acid charger because fire or explosion is a reasonable expectation. I fool around with a lot of batteries with our models, usually LiPo but sometimes LiIon, so I have a reasonable basis of experience. And depending on how many cells, the charger can be pricey (hundreds).

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Saturday, 27 May, 2017 - 01:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have investigated lion and I have not got a lion charger which will greatly increase the cost.

Explosion or thermal runaway is the most likely result of using my old fashioned lead acid chargers.

So lead acid agm regulated it is.
range is 21 km on lead acid.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Thursday, 03 August, 2017 - 03:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

forgot to post follow up.

I brought 2 x Yuasha 22a/h at 45 quid each.

Also because its for a disability scooter they are zero rated for VAT at 20%.

Also this applies to cars and motorbikes, which have modifications for disabled person(s).