Our Other Cars Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Our Other Cars « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2557
Posted on Monday, 08 May, 2017 - 06:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have started this thread for members to post photos of cars that they own or which are kept waiting for restoration/resurrection as appropriate.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Monday, 08 May, 2017 - 05:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok I will start with a car that I px on an old Jaguar that I restored many years ago.
the seller kept on for me to test it up the road so I did, when I returned he said what do I think I replied not a lot, it would not self centre on the steering and had bump steer.
His replie do I still want it?
I said of course but it will have to go and be parked up in the shed till I sort it out.

Forward eighteen years and a phone call from the club of which I do not belong [to many makes to join all] Could I bring the car to Silverstone? for a special celebration, two weeks time. My replie well it has not been used for years but I will see what I can do.
Drained the petrol tank, cleaned the carbs, repaired the electric pumps, cleaned the contacts and fitted new condenser etc and to my amazment the 3rd turn it fired up.
Pumped the tyres up and drove it out of the shed, no foot brakes!
Gave the car a run with the working hand brake,
I soon remembered why I parked up and never used it.
Anyway fitted new wheel cylinder rubbers, bled brakes, fitted new radiator hoses, petrol hoses, a tin of octane booster!
And set about the steering, castor angles set fully forward on the ecentric cams set them up to the correct angle and ajusted the tracking then a road test wow what a ride, ok so two days to go I decided to see if it would pass an MOT no probs apart from imbalance on hand brake.
All done but no time to clean the years of dust and bird droppings.
Arrived at Silverstone track and parked the most filthy car.
But a warm welcome was given.

So time to run the circut, cripes I was in the middle and thought what if I break down!
For saftey I decided to get to the rear of the Healeys Ha Ha I could slow down and let the pack go so I then had a clear run and at full power through the chicanes this I did with the two laps with the octane booster throwing flames from the side exhaust on throttling off.
When we returned and parked up a crowd gathered some wanted to buy others were just intrested in the car.
I said why the interest in this dirty one the replies was that the cameras were on my car on the big screens round the circut.

what a weekend that was.
Car now back in the motor house resting but not untill the next event for Charity was completed and that brings me to another intreresting motor car.
David forgot to make a new thread and topic can you move to say our other cars.
I have a feeling this is going to long thread!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Sunday, 07 May, 2017 - 04:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ross, no farm but have hens, ducks, geese, guinea fowl.

The field I let the local farmer have in return for corn and some car storage for overflow cars that I have never gotten rid of.

The old tractor had a loader on that I used, one day useing it in the cold it snapped it half!
Repaired it and put it out to rest with out a loader.

As a car nut have had some interesting events. Can put some pix up if interested.

David Gore

Post Number: 2555
Posted on Sunday, 07 May, 2017 - 07:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"As a car nut have had some interesting events. Can put some pix up if interested."

Patrick - Yes Please...............

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Sunday, 07 May, 2017 - 08:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes please Patrick.
"Car storage for overflow cars I have never gotten rid of"
I'm interested

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, 08 May, 2017 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

Wow, great story.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Tuesday, 09 May, 2017 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The next outing for the Healey was at a local charity event with seven other cars that I displayed with others.

Pix of the six cars.

The story is about the car behind the Healey, brought out from being stored and drove to the event! dust and all.

This is a brief story of how the VW Beetle got on the scene.
The car and company is Tatra and the car was reported to be for the use of the Czechoslovakia embassy in London.

The Chief technical and design director of the company was Hans Ledwinka.
Ledwinka also taught at the Prague university where he met Ferdinand Porsche he in turn was ordered by Hitler to build the peoples car and it is now known that he copied unlawful imitations from the Tatra car.
The not so known fact is that VW had to pay millions of D Marks for an out of court settlement for stolen patents.
The car in the pix below is the Tatraplan 2.0 litre flat four air cooled rear engine set up.
The T87 had the V8 air cooled rear engine set up.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 414
Posted on Tuesday, 09 May, 2017 - 10:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

Is the Tatra yours?

If it is, I officially have to be jealous of you.

There are precious few cars I have any interest in owning at this point, Mont Verde High Speed, Facel Vega HK500, 2cv, Morgan (of any kind), and Tatra (any kind) and maybe an Espada.

Of that list the Montverde and the Tatra are right at the top. The Montverde because it is gorgeous and the Tatra because it has an air cooled v8.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 415
Posted on Tuesday, 09 May, 2017 - 11:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's some shots of the Lotus

It has the 907 engine which I think is the only engine they designed themselves. It is a great lump.

The styling is a characture of 1976. A total period piece what looks for all the world like something sketched in a notebook by a a 13 year old boy.

On the other hand, you have to love the windshield surround!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Tuesday, 09 May, 2017 - 17:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes the Lotus engine when in full song is a note to behold.
lovely butch styling.
Yes all the cars shown are still in my possession.
More on them and more, I did say this may well be a long thread.
Pix of Tatra engine and the small fin denoting flat four engine.
not forgetting the three rows of rear windows to see through for reversing.

And one from my trip to Wales yesterday, the return on the as I call it "new Severn bridge crossing"

John Beech
Grand Master
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 381
Posted on Friday, 12 May, 2017 - 01:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a fantastic story! Makes me wonder if I was raised in a whisky barrel and someone put the bung in early because I've never so much as heard of the Tatra. Moreover, I've also never heard the story of F. Porsche misappropriating the Beetle's basic design concept, much less about VW subsequently paying millions in settlement as a consequence. I am simply flabbergasted because up until this point I thought the story of the red Healey was über interesting. Yet it turns out to be nearly a footnote in the story about your cars. Makes what I have downright boring in comparison. Have you more to share about the Tatra, like what driving it is like, do people do double-takes, how you acquired it, and whether repair parts are available or if you have resorted to making them? That split rear window is reminiscent of a bat wing Alfa.

Graham Watson
Experienced User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, 12 May, 2017 - 05:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes please more on the Tatraplan from the owner/driver perspective!

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 423
Posted on Friday, 12 May, 2017 - 10:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

Is owing a Tatra like this?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Friday, 12 May, 2017 - 11:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That video is AWESOME!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Friday, 12 May, 2017 - 18:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross it could be but!!!!!!!!!!!!

My story from the beginning was when the phone rang many years ago.
This was a friend in London who I purchased cars from, from time to time.
The car he was selling was a early A90 that was stored not used for years in a lock up.
The sale condition was that I had to buy the Tatra as well with no docks as it was the X embassy car.
The car had just shown itself in a comparison test with two other Makes of cars this I found out later.
The car let itsself down on test with the reverse gear letting go with damage up a steep hill!
The event is documented in a car magazine from years ago.
Back to the cars lock up, looked over the A90
all ok, then a look at the Tatra cripes what is that! new nothing about the make and was not that interested in it, more so with the gearbox fault.
much haggling and the deal was done.
I decided to sell the A90 and garage the Tatra.
As the years passed by The more I looked and studied the car the more interesting the cars engineering design became.
Could not find much data etc on the Tatra, then a book was published in English, this was called the "Tatra The Legacy Of Hans Ledwinka"
This then led to my getting the car up and running.
Hum I need a gearbox as the one in the car was beyond repair.
I need a plan, I was given a Zetor tractor for a small favour with engine damage from a local builder.
A trip to the local tractor dealer and who has contacts in Czechoslovakia who in turn put me in contact with a owner who had a non runner.
The car would only be sold complete but he would remove the gearbox this was duly carried out and delivered to the Zetor factory.[still have a car in Czech somewhere!!!!!]
This the gearbox was crated up with the engine parts and delivered to the UK.
Fitted the box to the car only to find that on completion the gearstick would only select three forward gears so returned the car to the garage for storage.
Fast forward more years and a re-read on the book and found that "Glockengetriebe gearbox" only forth gear was engaged by sliding the gearwheel axially to meet its pinion with the clutch pedal simultaneously released the lock of the gear wheel so that without pressing the clutch pedal the forth gear could not be selected.
As for driving the car it is surprisingly different in a 40/50s car.
Steering light and precise, handling good, engine noise quiet, seating good, engine lively performance for a boxer 2.0L
a few pix.

This car has a Lady.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, 13 May, 2017 - 00:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We got these Tatra cars imported to Switzerland after WW II, and I remember them well as a boy. I think there are still a handful around that have survived to this day, seeing one occasionally at car shows or meetings.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Saturday, 13 May, 2017 - 01:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thats pleasing to know.

John Beech
Grand Master

Post Number: 384
Posted on Saturday, 13 May, 2017 - 02:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brief video about a Tatra like Patrick's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a8GVhZiP4c

Patrick, is the tractor you mentioned the one in the photo? What's the story about this?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Saturday, 13 May, 2017 - 02:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe a new topic on tractors we own and another on motor bikes!
Still more cars to come and maybe the next one that has already sneaked in one of the tatra pix.
John that sure is the model that I have, two in the UK don't think they know about mine.

John Beech
Grand Master

Post Number: 386
Posted on Saturday, 13 May, 2017 - 03:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll start the one on motorbikes.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Saturday, 13 May, 2017 - 08:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
You have all seen my 25 Chevrolet, so I won't post again unless anyone hasn't seen it would like to see it, or if there is any part of it someone would like photographed.

Loving the Tatra stuff.
Seems VW likes doing naughty things huh.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Saturday, 13 May, 2017 - 18:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And who owns them?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 06:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Back to some oldies in tother shed.
Safari Citroen.

Seven seater.

Never look back!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 06:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And one of the rear rear seats, a can that has a name of who makes VW but my memory fails me!!!!!!!!!

John Beech
Grand Master

Post Number: 394
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 11:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Few will appreciate this, but this is Baby, a 1974 Morgan Olson Step-van, which I've owned more than 20 years. Basically, you'll have to pry her from my hands when I'm cold because she's simply too useful to do without. She started life as a Mac Tools truck and is made of sheet aluminum bucked together with rivets. Powered by a decent 383ci small block Chevy (steel crank, 4-bolt mains, 4-barrel, aluminum dual-plane intake, and dual exhausts), if you can't tell, I love this thing. This, despite lack of radio, A/C, or heat (unless I turn a valve beneath the hood). Said valve allows water to flow through the cabin heater core but because too much heat makes it past the rudimentary air-control door to let hot water circulate through the system the other 10 months of the year, I installed the valve. Anyway, I probably drive her at least once a week and her main purpose is transporting my model airplanes to and from the model flying field because I'm too lazy to disassemble the more complex ones (I have a museum quality scale model of a JN-4 Jenny with an 90" wingspan that requires nearly an hour to disassemble because of all the flying wires and control surface cables replicating the original). However, at heart she's a workhorse (and will accept 16' lumber while still closing the back doors). And once, when I took a load to the dump we went in at 12,800 pounds and upon exit weighed 6800 pounds (to include my fat ass, one skinny helper, and half a tank of gas). Speaking of gas, she attains about the same fuel economy as Tootsie, which isn't half bad in my book!

She's named Baby and is the smaller of my two trucks!
-- She's named Baby because she's the smaller of my two trucks!

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 432
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 12:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Do you have every old car in your possession?

John,

One of the few cars you can drive with the door open.

Here's my mini next to the Golf diesel. Really puts the mini's size in perspective.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 - 22:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, yes I really must sell some but hang on I have a van to put it in!!!!!!!!!!!!! now where's the boat to cross the pond.

Ross, can't remember I don't think so but still more somewhere!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Friday, 19 May, 2017 - 03:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is that an A60 van?
I love those vans. My girlfriend's dad had one in the 70s and it was a great piece of kit.
Love the Citroen - mine is a 69 model ID19 not quite a safari like yours.
Lovely cars Patrick.

John - Your Morgan looks very different to mine mate.....

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, 19 May, 2017 - 04:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John Beech, here is my 1976 Chevy P30 Step Van I bought new in 76. This is the only photo I have of it in this configuration. Before the "Arizona Highway" theme, it was painted with a space theme with space ships and other scenes, side pipes, and of course, six headlights. It was quite a show winner back in the mid 70's. I never thought I'd meet another Step Van aficionado.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Friday, 19 May, 2017 - 05:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar yes this is the A60 1966 with the 1622cc engine, column gear change!
Bought it non runner with the engine, brakes, fuel tank removed but with a new paint job, not good job.
Fitted it up and ran it after a mot, put it to rest in the old pig house.

Originally the van belonged to the Evening Telegraph for the delivery of the newspapers.
Have an old photo with the faded sign written name on it.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Friday, 19 May, 2017 - 22:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had a dark green A60/A55 pickup. 1968 model.

I swapped a 1963 Bedford Duple 56 seat Fire fly coach for the Austin A60 plus £325, a Gibson guitar and amp, and a MZ motorbike.

I look back with a smile at all these mad cap deals I done over the years.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, 20 May, 2017 - 02:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is my Panther Lima. It was built and homologated for us for Racing by Robert Jankell, who owned Panthers at the time.
The engine and suspension were tuned by Bill Blydenstein who used to prepare and build the Vauxhall competition cars. The Lima used Vauxhall Magnum Engine and running gear.
She is the only Panther Lima with an integrated roll cage and a factory hard top that they had to build making a mould of the soft top.
Amongst other rallies and races, we did the Monte Carlo Rally 4 times, the RAC rally 4 times, The Manx rally, the Acropolis rally and over 10 races at the Jerez F1 circuit.
She is still running sweetly on the original un-rebuilt engine!!

My brother and I on the 1979 Monte Carlo Rally. Notice the bent bumper and missing number plate. She didn't like going round corners much!

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 433
Posted on Saturday, 20 May, 2017 - 08:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick F,

EPIC!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Saturday, 20 May, 2017 - 23:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cor!

Hats off to Patrick F.

can anybody trump this racing achievement?

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, 21 May, 2017 - 03:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I forgot to mention that whilst at the Panther factory, we got to drive (within the grounds) their recently developed 6 wheeler which was based on the Tyrrel F1 cars. It had a twin turbocharged American V8 that produced over 600bhp which was a colossal amount at the time!

This is a picture from the net, and all info on these cars say that they built one white one and one black one.

I am 1000% sure that the one that I drove was a medium blue colour.

John Beech
Grand Master

Post Number: 395
Posted on Friday, 26 May, 2017 - 16:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, yes owning a step van is a state of mind ;>)

Patrick L. . . . what, no boat?!?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Sunday, 28 May, 2017 - 02:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh well better put one up, how did I manage to tow that behind the old faithful Gipsy twice a year for delivery to and from the moorings in Weymouth.
Great times but a little heavy on the pocket.

Oh what is that another boat, looks like the son has the bug!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Sunday, 28 May, 2017 - 03:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To get on track with cars, this is my longest project, been on going since 1984.
Pre war is not my strong point with the wood etc.

This one has stop start in 1937.
Guess the car any one!

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 437
Posted on Tuesday, 30 May, 2017 - 07:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

Pretty sophisticated head for 1937. Side draft and down draft SU's??? Is it supercharged?

I changed tires on the yellow tractor a while back and never loaded it. Here I am putting in RV antifreeze.

That was too slow, so when putting in the 20 gallons of water I put the bucket on the top of a 8' ladder. That sped things up.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Tuesday, 30 May, 2017 - 18:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross that will make a ton of difference to the gripping and load lifting.
Clever stuff with the ladder.
I bought a tractor once and it had a salt water ballast to stop the freezing in the winter.
Is the yellow tractor a three cylinder.

The engine in my pix is a Coventry Climax not supercharged, don't think the rods would stand the stress!

pix of the car bought in bits years ago.

Engine fitted chassis restored, rear end temp fitted.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 728
Posted on Thursday, 01 June, 2017 - 05:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ohhh, TATRA! One never knows what one may find here, but it is usually exciting!
Supposedly the largest group of Tatras in the Americas is in Nashville, Tennessee, at the Lane Motor Museum. They are unique, and impressive cars for sure!

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 442
Posted on Thursday, 01 June, 2017 - 11:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

First off I just watched the Tatra video again, what a great video. I am even more jealous than before.

Second, the yellow tractor is an international 404 with 4 cylinders. 40hp?

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 443
Posted on Thursday, 01 June, 2017 - 11:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick F,

Panther put the two wheels at the wrong end, and oh yeah, they forgot to fit a Merlin.

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/balthazar59/media/V-12Modulo.jpg.html

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Thursday, 08 June, 2017 - 18:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, yes that video is something else.
This link is of my 1951 Jowett Jupiter Farina 109 at Goodwood 2011.
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/gallery/Jowett-Jupiter-109-98299.html
If you scroll the pixs at the top you will see a T87

Graham Watson
Frequent User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, 08 June, 2017 - 20:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have been to the Lane Museum and it is well worth the trip.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, 08 June, 2017 - 20:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick
Your Jowett is stunning, a friend of mine has a Jowett Bradford and another friend has the handbook of owning a Jowett, great cars!
Cheers
Mike

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Friday, 09 June, 2017 - 05:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mike, yes the Javelin and Jupiter were years ahead of there time.
The Bradford was the real earner for the company though.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 452
Posted on Friday, 09 June, 2017 - 06:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Very nice auto that. I confess I had to look that up on the innerwebs. Interesting breed though.

Thanks.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Saturday, 10 June, 2017 - 04:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross , the Jowett factory was sold to International Harvester who produced the B250 in about 1955 and later the B275.
I have the early Jowett B250 that is in the picture above with the spade lug wheels.
The VIN number is low at 1028

Some folk have said the B250 number first started at 1001.
I will have to try and find out.

The B275 I use on the potato lifter machine.
great fun for the grandchildren picking up the spuds.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Monday, 26 June, 2017 - 03:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Back on track well almost, I forgot about this A55 A60 van in an old shed.
The van has rested for nine years so I thought it would be a good test on the pre ethanol blend petrol that is still smelling ok and see if it has presented any probs like the new stuff.
First removed the distributor and fitted new condenser and contacts setting the gap.
Did a quick puff test on the number one cylinder to confirm TDC, refitted the distributor with rotor arm positioned to number one lead in cap.
Set distributor with points just opening.
Time to check for spark on the removed plug, all ok.
Pumped the old fuel up with the hand pump.
Time to try and start the old girl.
Two attempts and she fired into life.
Clutch free and reversed it out of the shed.
pumped tyres up and drove for a wash.

After a wash.

Column change and pistol hand brake, what a courting vehicle, faded memories!

Makes you wonder how a 1500cc or 1622cc engine could have such a large body.

After a good run the fuel seems to be ok, the brakes etc all OK.
After much thought I decided that it should be used and enjoyed, a phone call to let it be known it is for sale the first to show interest with viewing and trial and a deal was done.
Bob you may well see it about as it has gone to Poole.
Now what is next!

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, 26 June, 2017 - 12:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

The international 275 has the right kind of starter solenoid.

The yellow tractor has a delco stater where the solenoid only engages the bendix after you hit it with a hammer, then when engaged, you must use the hammer to bridge the two bolts on the solenoid to spin the starter. I might film it as it is quite a pathetic affair.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Monday, 26 June, 2017 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross just been out connected battery and gave the old girl heat.
90% of the time she starts but this first time nothing so I have a live feed that I connect to one side of the mechanical switch.
Push the starter lever down this engages the starter gear to ring gear, connect the live wire to switch and off it started.

Not bad for being idle outside for the winter.
while it was running took it down to the potato patch and lifted some spuds.

Will do some more with the Grandchildren when they visit so they can sell them and earn pocket money.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Monday, 10 July, 2017 - 06:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having looked after this car for close on 37 years The owner offered it to me for a fair price.
A quick word with the powers of b and a deal was completed.
First I will get the leather replaced on the front seats.
Driving the car is very agricultural on the bumps,
even after the one shot oiler for the front suspension is used.
The car has covered 54000 miles, the engine is the Kent 1600cc.

David Gore

Post Number: 2602
Posted on Monday, 10 July, 2017 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have always had an ambition to acquire a "Moggie" from the modern era to get a classic sports car body with readily obtainable mechanicals.

Patrick, great decision on your part.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Monday, 10 July, 2017 - 09:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Patrick,

A wonderful acquisition. Well done mate.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Monday, 17 July, 2017 - 04:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, Patrick yes the cars shape and simple workings seem to grow on one.

Today with the help from my son we removed the seat runner bolts, they pass through wooden blocks that absorb moisture so a bit tight to get out.
One snapped so will have to make one up.
1/2" nut and the 1/2" thread bolt has a 15mm head on it, for spreading the load on the runner I suppose.
Trip to the trimmer with seats on Monday all being well!

John Beech
Grand Master

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, 02 August, 2017 - 10:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Based on the steel unit body of an early Datsun 240Z, this is my second go around with a reproduction of the famous 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO.

Lulu's aft flank - and yes, I'm an ass man ;>)
-- Lulu's aft flank - and yes, I'm an ass man ;>)

This is my second GTO because a good friend talked me out of the first (via the traditional application of enough money until I said, yes, of course). It came at a moment in time when I faced an international move and thus, because I was focused on selling pretty much everything not nailed down I sold it (plus my '73 Detomaso Pantera, '66 Maserati Sebring, '95 Suzuki DR350, as well as assorted weapons, and other 'stuff').

A couple years later, a good friend in Alabama called to give me a heads up regarding this one, which was professionally built and listed for sale on eBay (and located in CA). Frankly, there were quite a few people looking but nobody had placed a bid (perhaps because of the high-ish Buy It Now price). Thing is, I knew the effort involved in getting one to this point and I also knew almost exactly what it cost and hence, I judged the asking price to be eminently fair. Thus, without a second thought, I clicked the button and made my first ever eBay purchase - sight unseen - because I've never been one to let the grass grow under my feet once I take a decision!

I soon arranged a ticket for my pal John to fly out and meet with me in San Jose. The car was exactly as represented, maybe better! I completed the transaction and we were off as we spent about a week driving east to cross the United States (a bit more than 3000 miles with detours because I lived on the east coast in Jacksonville, NC at the time).

By the way, the background story I've heard about these things involves a CA Ferrari dealer that had one and upon being quoted USD$1M/year for insurance promptly commissioned a guy with a background in making fiberglass dune buggies to pull molds off his car and modify them to fit a 240Z. True? I have no clue. What I do know is the molds have been in possession of one dreamer after another (and each has been one step ahead of Ferrari lawyers who want them destroyed).

Finally, with fewer than 40 of the GTOs ever made, and with the last one reputedly transacting for something north of USD$30M, even if I ever afford the real thing (I can't), because they're nigh near irreplaceable I would be hesitant to drive it on public roads. Moreover, because I've long had a hard on for the Datsun 240Z, the trap was easy to bait. Especially because I've owned a couple examples - each soon converted from inline 6-cylinder engines to small block Chevy V-8 engines (great fun, believe me).

Easy to tune Webers really add to the look!
-- Easy to tune Webers really add to the look!

Anyway, while my first one was mechanically very nice and really beautiffuly finished, it had a largely stock interior. This one is also well finished and has a far better interior (complete with hand stitched leather on the dash, seats, and side panels). Mechanically, however, this one has only slowly been coming up to scratch. It's still not quite up to the standard of my first one but I persist so it's getting there.

At present the engine has been replaced with a really nice aluminum small block engine (with very nice internals), a very stoutly built 6-speed transmission, plus all the usual Jim Cook Racing brake and suspension bits. E.g. the ones you'd find on a typical SCCA 240Z race car. Anyway, it's a lovely car and loads of fun to drive and turns heads everywhere, the very definition of fun so I hope you enjoy these photos.

GTO interior
Lulu's interior is finely stitched and nicely finished.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, 02 August, 2017 - 16:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, I love Ferraris so much I can't hardly stand it, especially the GTO's from the era of your clone. What a beautiful beast. I agree that the Webers are a sublime touch. I'll bet 99% of onlookers can't tell the difference.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 608
Posted on Saturday, 28 October, 2017 - 10:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recently went to purchase a commuter car to replace my 2010 cheater tdi vw.

I just couldn't bring myself to buy a mazda 3 despite the 40 mpg and super road manners ( my wife just bought one) because they have electric emergency brakes.

Really,... take a $3 piece of cable that works great, and replace it with a complicated, relatively fragile, expensive , electrical deal that, wait for it.....does exactly the same thing.

I just couldn't do it. I got a 1.4 tsi gas VW which has a cable hand brake.

David Gore

Post Number: 2711
Posted on Saturday, 28 October, 2017 - 13:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

My partner has a MY09 VW Eos Convertible with the TDI/DSG engine/transmission combination - magnificent but complicated car to maintain because of its unique folding roof design.

However, she cannot be prised out of the driver's seat under any circumstances and, after 9 years of ownership, I have never driven her car which is still in showroom condition. When I am reincarnated [pun intended], I am coming back as her car having seen the pampering it gets.

Eos

This photo is from the 2009 RROC[Aust] NSW Branch "Aussie Border Bash" event taken underneath the Grafton Jacaranda trees during a lunch break.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Sunday, 29 October, 2017 - 03:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I love Volkswagens David.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Sunday, 29 October, 2017 - 11:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One of the nicest VW made David.

Keep the pics coming John.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 609
Posted on Sunday, 29 October, 2017 - 12:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

My wife does let me drive the Mazda ( if my cloths are clean ) so basically I can drive it one day in 20.

What's the Border Bash?

David Gore

Post Number: 2712
Posted on Sunday, 29 October, 2017 - 13:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

It was a visit to the NSW/Queensland Border region in late 2009 for mainly NSW Club members but also attended by some Queensland and South Australian members.

My report on the event for the NSW Branch Magazine is below:

application/pdfBush Bash
Aussie Border Bash Oct09.pdf (481.8 k)

Needless to say a good time was had by all.....

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 616
Posted on Saturday, 04 November, 2017 - 09:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks like a great time was had by all.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 661
Posted on Sunday, 10 December, 2017 - 23:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mini FTP,

Almost had a FTP on the mini. Drove it to a buddy's house to rebuild the axles. After rebuilding the axles the car wouldn't start.

Battery was good jumping the solenoid did ultra slow cranking as well.

Clue, throttle cable was emitting tiny wafts of smoke when cranking. Starter was seeking ground through every little bit on the engine.

Must have lost a ground wire somewhere under the car with the axles. I might not even have had one.

Bolt in a properly huge 0/4 stranded copper cable from a welder between the coil bracket and the chassis, bobs your uncle.

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, 11 December, 2017 - 00:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross
The mini engine earth goes from the bell housing to the inner flitch if memory serves correct.
And now you will need a new throttle cable as it will have melted the nylon covering.
Mike

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 662
Posted on Monday, 11 December, 2017 - 08:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael,

Good news on both fronts, I definitely did not have ground from the bell housing, I can move the current one to that location.

I don't have a nylon lined throttle cable, I forget where it came from, but it was just a cable running in a metal coil covered with black plastic. I'll just oil it.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 665
Posted on Wednesday, 13 December, 2017 - 11:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a8GVhZiP4c

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 423
Posted on Wednesday, 13 December, 2017 - 22:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross
This is where it should be ok (see pic)

Mike

StevenBrown
Frequent User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, 14 December, 2017 - 03:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My hard drive crashed and don't have pictures on this machine. I'm also a Porsche guy. Owned countless 928's, my favorite. Canada now has free trade with the European Union. So I'm looking at cars we didn't get here. Collect and then sell on type deal. General rule a car 15 years or older, no longer has to pass our safety and emission standards. Open's up a lot of neat cars, not sold here originally.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 666
Posted on Thursday, 14 December, 2017 - 12:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael,

Thanks, I definitely don't have that.

I'll relocate the cable I used there. It's currenty bolted from the coil mount to the bonnet latch.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Saturday, 03 March, 2018 - 06:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
As Holden is no more producing cars in Australia, I started to have a look around for an old Holden I have always wanted for years. A 1961 FB Special.

I stumbled across this in a country town about 8 hours drive from home.

Been locked up in a shed for over 10 years.
A bit of a barn find really.
Only 77,000 miles on the clock. 2 owners.

Look who the Shadow is now sharing a room with.
I couldn’t pass this one up

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 149
Posted on Saturday, 03 March, 2018 - 07:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great find Patrick, happy motoring.

David Gore

Post Number: 2834
Posted on Saturday, 03 March, 2018 - 07:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

You lucky bugger - magnificent find and one we all dream about coming our way sometime in our life.

I will not ask the price as this will probably make my angst worse .

Now where is my Stanley Steamer hiding?????

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Saturday, 03 March, 2018 - 07:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks guys.

Yes David, paid way to much. But I just love originality.

All rubbers are still original.
Front rubber floor mat was replaced many years ago, but back floor rubber is as new as is all interior trim.
Boot rubber is original, but torn in a few places.

All floors are original with only a few spot brazing done to a couple of spots many years ago.
Have this receipt from the panel beater shop.

Rear Venetian is original as is the mesh sun visor.

Just have some wiring to tidy up in the boot.
And try to make sense of the vacuum window washer system.

A couple more pics.

The below shot is detail of the white parts of the seat trim, the roof lining has the same pattern.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 725
Posted on Saturday, 03 March, 2018 - 08:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Never had those in the Northern Hemisphere, too bad it's a great looking car.

Vacuum Wipers now that is a history lesson.

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, 03 March, 2018 - 10:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick - Drive and Be Driven Day is coming up in May. May I respectfully suggest that our RROCA NSW members would be very interested in the Holden?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ri2pOezVhc
Regards,
Brian

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, 03 March, 2018 - 10:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hope I am not distracting this post but I do have to include this video because of the elegance it seeks to portray.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXLlq1nykus
In the 1950s, 60s and 70s my father would buy a new car Holden each year on the basis that it was more effective to buy a new car than pay for a service. How times have changed.
Regards,
Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Saturday, 03 March, 2018 - 19:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A great couple of videos there Brian.
Love the voice over guy in both.

The FB’s getting flogged around the dirt track is a highlight.

Great story of your dad mate.

I’d love to see some pics of the Holdens through the years your family have driven in.

He probably never lost a dollar on his Holdens in the early days, huge waiting list for all up to the 70’s.

Good idea I think your dad had Brian.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Sunday, 04 March, 2018 - 06:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, that is some important motorcar with OZ history.
The condition inside and out is lovely.
Is the engine etc from the Ford Zephyr 6?
Just love the column gear change.
Is it a three speed with the optional overdrive fitted like some UK Fords.
Worked by pulling a knob under the dash.
Hand brake like the Shadow, pistol grip!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Sunday, 04 March, 2018 - 12:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick.
The interior is quite amazing.
All it took was some serious cleaning.
The colours are fantastic.

The engine is a Holden built engine, but based on a pre WWII Buick 6.
It’s called a grey engine here, as it was painted grey.
They started building these engines in 48 when the first Holden was designed.

This is 138 (2.26L) cubic inch 6, single downdraft Stromberg carby standard 12v coil type ignition.
4 main bearings.
Power for this engine was rated at 60bhp (45 kW) @ 5000 rpm.
3.75 in (85.7mm) bore. 3 in (76.2mm) stroke.
Very good low down torque on these.
1st gear is almost redundant.
No overdrive available.
3 speed column (3 on the tree) as we call them here.
Crash first and reverse.

We never saw an overdrive on a Holden until 1986 when the first unleaded Commodore was fitted with a Nissan Skyline 3L 6 cylinder attached to a Jatco 4 speed auto.
This was very unique for us as it had a lock up torque converter & a power/economy button!!
The Holden 6 died in the previous model as they never engineered an unleaded Holden engine.

Yes handbrake even makes the identical sound to the Shadow. The double door click sound when opening & closing the doors are identical to the Shadow as well.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Monday, 07 May, 2018 - 04:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Morgan is coming along slowly.
Fitted the seats and played with some dye mix for the original rear seats side panels and dash.
Still more to do with that.

The steering wheel leather is renewed and cross stitching by hand.

Plenty more trim to keep original with a clean hopefully.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Monday, 07 May, 2018 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love the progress on the Morgan Patrick.
Great needlework on the steering wheel.
Seat colour is fantastic.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 06:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick not so sure with the hood.
A hot sunny day to-day so spent time fitting the shrunk hood to the frame.
Stood back and looked at all angles, an acquired taste.
Will try the tonneau cover next.

BTW with the hood up I had to crawl in and out of the machine I must loose some weight.

David Gore

Post Number: 2876
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 09:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Like all good classic British sports cars, the Morgan should only be driven on fine sunny days. They were never meant to be [or should not be] driven in inclement weather.

As a late teenager, I had many trips in a friend's MG TD roadster however one trip to Orange over the Blue Mountains in the middle of winter convinced me roadsters should only be driven on balmy Spring, Summer and Autumn days,

Unfortunately, the car was subsequently "T-boned" in a serious crash on the corner of Anzac Parade and Alison Road in Sydney around 50 years ago at night. The impact lifted and tilted the car sideways pushing it into the light pole located on the roundabout island in the centre of the intersection killing his girlfriend who was in the passenger seat which took the full force of the impact with the car and then the pole as a consequence of the tilting. If the pole had not been there, the car would have overturned with probably two deaths instead of one.

My friend was not at fault for the accident as the other driver failed to give way at the roundabout.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 17:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes David, a car for summer use with the tonneau cover for parking up and the use of speed when the odd rain storm crops up with an umbrella at traffic lights maybe!
Will try and fit the shrunk tonneau in the sun today.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Wednesday, 09 May, 2018 - 04:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The new tonneau is on car takes on a better perspective.
A old red hood frame cover can be used when the rear seats are in use.

Cripes next year it will be Historic with no road fund and mot exempt, lovely.

David Gore

Post Number: 2878
Posted on Wednesday, 09 May, 2018 - 07:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Great to see another classic sports car returning to the road in pristine condition with many years of use and enjoyment on balmy days/evenings to come.

Congratulations to all involved.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 773
Posted on Wednesday, 09 May, 2018 - 13:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Ugly top on or off, that's one great looking car.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Wednesday, 09 May, 2018 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the comments.
The next job maybe a step to far after a large service a few weels ago, this was on a modern V6 with the great smooth auto change Aisin- Warner auto box that is said to be sealed for life with no filter to change or fitted!
Changed the auto box fluid including the torque converter while hot, including engine oil + filter etc, the gear changes are even more smooth.
All going well but in the back of my mind is the thought of the cam belt and HP fuel pump belt change at 150,000, seems a long time for belt and tensioners etc to last.
Now the problem if I carry out the job, the years on the body are slowing me down but the real problem I think is short term memory loss.

I feel with all the dismantling proceedure it might end up with bits being left over or worse.
Already use a camera on many jobs.

David Gore

Post Number: 2881
Posted on Wednesday, 09 May, 2018 - 21:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

150,000Km [100,000 miles] replacement intervals are the limit for modern timing belts. 150,000 mile intervals would literally stretch the friendship to breaking point IMHO .

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Wednesday, 09 May, 2018 - 22:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David sorry should have been 140,000 miles change, still as you say 100,000 miles is on the safe side unless the belt is made of some new proven material.
Nothing about the driven HP pump cog belt replacement or the water pump tensioners thermostat etc etc.

Maybe dealer outlets need repair work with wrecked engines!

Out with the 944 and a look at the Tatra for a start up while I put the thinking cap on.

David Gore

Post Number: 2882
Posted on Thursday, 10 May, 2018 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

My Toyota 2.8L diesel belt change is every 100,000 Km. Our diesel VW Eos 2L turbo diesel is 120,000 Km or 8 years whichever comes first.

I always change the timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley bearing and water pump each time.

My experience with a timing belt failure is detailed in the attached PDF - graphic illustration of the possible consequences of a belt failure.

application/pdfBelt PDF
Toyota Drive belt failure.pdf (404.5 k)

The engine has since done another 100,000 Km.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Thursday, 10 May, 2018 - 18:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David now that would scare me having a belt failure on a V6.
Having a tensioner bolt work loose with the damage
caused on a V6 would almost total the car!
Car now showing 120,000, I am on borrowed time.

On brighter note a was spent on moving some cars that had not been used for a few years that had collected dust, lined them up and I have one missing!
Cars from each decade from 50s 70s 80s 90s 2000s 2010.

Now what I need is 60s car, the last 60s car owned was a Daimler Dart but would not buy another so the mind is blank ATM.

David Gore

Post Number: 2883
Posted on Thursday, 10 May, 2018 - 20:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Why not a Triumph late TR3 or TR4?

My choice would be a Lotus Elan with the only concern being regular replacement of the rear drive shaft "doughnuts" as it would be impossible to drive the Elan gently.....

P.S. The reason the lock bolt came undone was the fault of the diesel injection pump rebuilder who forgot to "Loctite" the threads when putting everything back together - the only time I have subcontracted repair work on the truck instead of doing it myself to save time and I paid the price. The repairer offered to pay for parts if I paid for the labour however I had no confidence in them and did the job myself with help from my local Repco parts store who supplied all the parts needed at trade prices. A sidelight was I had the do all the work on the street at my partner's home as this was where the car transporter left the 4WD and there was no way of getting it undercover - the neighbours were taking bets on it being finished when the vehicle would move under its own power!!!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Friday, 11 May, 2018 - 17:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, yes a TR would be a good choice having worked on them in the past, one that I have not dealt with but driven and goes better when driven well is the TR5 with the lucas fuel injection.
Have had dealings with Triumph 2.5 injection saloon what a car in its time.

Repco a part of Replex that is a name I don't hear in the UK now.
Still have my Repco on car wheel balancer from the 60s, last used for checking wheel bearings.
Must donate it.
Just found the instruction book!
A few pix for the memory.

David Gore

Post Number: 2884
Posted on Friday, 11 May, 2018 - 18:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, Repco were an innovative company and a major supplier to the Australian automotive industry especially during the 1960/1970 era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repco

They also made a huge impact in 3 litre Formula One Grand Prix racing with the Repco-Brabham race cars using a chassis designed by Jack Brabham and Ron Tauranac and a production GM BOP V8 engine modified for racing by Phil Irvine and Repco as detailed in the above link.

BT19

I did consider the TR5 however given you were looking for a classic 1960's sports car, I thought the TR4 combined the old and new from that era.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Saturday, 12 May, 2018 - 02:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An interesting read, pleased to hear that they are still in business.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Saturday, 12 May, 2018 - 03:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After lunch thought I would play with the Tatra.
Pumped flat tyres up all holding air.
Slipped a battery on cleaned the contacts.
Primed the fuel pump and carbs with a petrol diesel mix, pushed the key in and pressed the starter and the engine burst into life.
pix engine running what a throbbing sound the flat 4 makes

Plenty more pix I can put up of car but could not give it a run as the rain was starting so returned it to the garage

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Saturday, 12 May, 2018 - 03:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

i am intrigued by the petrol diesel mix Patrick. Whats all that about then?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Saturday, 12 May, 2018 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, the petrol diesel mix 50-1 I have used for starting laid up engines as IMO it lubes the piston rings more so on a vertical engine also lubes the valve guides.
IMO after a lawn mower using a mix from fuel of incorrect fill up of cars that break down the derv does not burn off and the sump oil level increases.

If the engines are left for long periods the petrol mix can be ran through the pump, carbs and a coating of derv is left behind, the tank is drained down and can be left for many years till the car is started once again with the above mix.

The car in all accounts was a Czech staff diplomatic car that was used in and around London after the war.
Mileage showing 43000km

note oil cooler for high speed motoring!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Saturday, 12 May, 2018 - 04:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the tip Patrick. Makes a lot of sense.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Saturday, 12 May, 2018 - 07:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

She’s a real gem Patrick.
Thanks for a good read and pics of a very unusual car.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 775
Posted on Saturday, 12 May, 2018 - 07:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I hope you get that MOT'd and on the road. I'm sure people would smile getting to see that running around town as much as an RR and just a little less than the Morgan.

Too bad how things played out in WWII and afterwards. Ford could have gotten VW and scrapped it, and we could have all been driving around in tatras. Heavy sigh....

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Sunday, 13 May, 2018 - 02:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross no need for an MOT also road fund licence exempt.
Just insurance and to make sure it is roadworthy.
Now that may take a little time.
I have a plan!

BTW the Wife does not want to ride or be seen in it but all the grandchildren do!
I think it is a real hoot, now when is the next party that I can arrive in style!

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, 13 May, 2018 - 11:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It might even float if you were to invert and launch it!

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 777
Posted on Sunday, 13 May, 2018 - 20:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

Really, just drivable and insurance.

I have a theory which has served me well regarding car projects. It goes like this.

Put it on the road, keep it on the road.

If I lived the next town over I would just come over and do the brakes, bearings, tires, fuel and electricals, ( body patch's?) and get that on the road.

Your grand kids will arrive back from getting ice cream in the space ship with such huge smiles your wife will have to go for a ride.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Tuesday, 15 May, 2018 - 04:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, thanks for the offer if you were close by.
When I have time will put the car up on the hoist and see the state of play.
Brakes still seem to work and also the handbrake.
The car is on cross plies as originally fitted.
The rear end may be to loose with radials, hate to tip it over as happened with some SS officers traveling back to the Fatherland at high speed.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 902
Posted on Tuesday, 15 May, 2018 - 09:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick the same model Tatra that you have was offered up for sale not too long back for extremely crazy price $295,000 AUD but the car restoration business that was selling it always asks for nutty prices.

This early Tatra would be scary to drive and you would have to say its appearance is downright ultra spooky. Still a very very rare car and it well deserves to be part of your collection.

As an eye catcher in public I imagine that the only way to exceed its eye catching power would be to have a Cadillac convertible with super loud stereo and have five extremely attractive and totally naked nubile young women with you as you drove along before being grabbed by the authorities.

Its a delightful sinister beast! Possibly best left as is but a mockup doll looking like Mortica from the Adams Family would not be out of place especially with an Uncle Fester character in the back seat complete with a glowing light bulb in the mouth!!!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Tuesday, 27 November, 2018 - 06:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir, Ross etc, an update on the T600.
After much thought and discussion we decided to sell as is, running with all its glory.

A message to the auction house and a trip to the auction site to deliver the Tatra in style behind the RR.
One bidder flew in from Germany just for the Tatra.

Bidding was fast with many live internet bids as well as hopeful saleroom bids.
The hammer finally came down with a bidder from Slovakia only 50 miles from where the car was made in 1950 at Ostrava in the Czech republic.
The new owner then drove all the way from his home town to collect the car in the UK.
Pleased that the car now has gone to a younger custodian.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Tuesday, 27 November, 2018 - 07:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh no Patrick you sold it, you sold the finned Tatra and to a Slovakian who has snabbled it back to from whence it came!

It was a truly ugly car but it was that ugly it was appealing. I thought the gauges on the dash were really nice - nice and big.

That was one car I never saw in real life.

What will you get up to next? Perhaps come down under and hunt old Holdens with Patrick Ryan in Sydney.

May I suggest a Holden FX the first one without indicators and 6 volts in Leather! Perhaps Mr Ryan can post up pics of a sedan, ute and panel van to entice you and then the two Patrick's could come to Mount Coolon where I can show you how to hunt Platypus with my homemade bazooka.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, 27 November, 2018 - 08:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad, to you have any technical drawings for that homemade bazooka? It's coming close to lambing season here and the foxes are already on the prowl!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Tuesday, 27 November, 2018 - 08:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here we go.
Some lovely Holden 48/215 or FX as they are also known.

6 volt system 132 CI (2.1L) 6 cylinder & leather interior.

And Vlad getting ready to hunt cats at Mt Coolon

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, 27 November, 2018 - 08:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice bazooka, does it have heat seeking and night vision capabilities?!

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 984
Posted on Tuesday, 27 November, 2018 - 17:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

About 30 years ago "spud guns" made from PVC pipes that would launch a potato using spark ignited WD-40 as a propellant were all the rage for fun...until the authorities decided that they were just a bit too dangerous. They would give that potato enough velocity/inertia to smash a car window and so that fun quickly became illegal. They were strictly a country boy thing. Urbanites never caught on to them...fortunately.

David Gore

Post Number: 3075
Posted on Tuesday, 27 November, 2018 - 18:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the late 1950's when I was a lad, we made "cracker guns" using a piece of threaded steel water pipe with a slot cut along one threaded end to allow the fuse of a penny bunger to protrude when an end cap was screwed on, a timber stock and a suitably sized marble/ball bearing.

I don't have to tell you the rest suffice to say 3/4inch thick marine plywood offered no resistance to the projectile.

The banning of fireworks and my reaching an age where I could legally own and use an air rifle brought a quick end to my budding career as an arms manufacturer.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Tuesday, 27 November, 2018 - 20:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Times have changed radically since the 1960s in Australia.

I remember when I was ten in Sydney being able to walk into just about any newsagent in Sydney and being able to buy by myself and for little money tuppenny bungers that could blow the fingers clean off your hand.

The trick was to light the fuse and then drop it from a height into a body of water for reasons I can't remember but the bunger(cracker) had to enter the water then explode.

Too much McHales Navy I guess. There was also the caper of letting the things off inside large water drainage pipes to amplify the effect.

Then the law changed so no more explosives for the kiddies or anybody and Guy Fawkes night just stopped. But how I loved the noise and the smell of the things.

Russia in 2000 on New Years night consisted of going into the centre of town off your chops on vodka and watching young chaps throw firecrackers near pretty young girls to hear the sound of the explosion followed by the screams.

The next night on TV was a picture on the TV showing a young boy from Kazahkistan whose explosives handling technique was not quite up to par as his face was blackened by a firecracker.Ouch!

That made me think back to the 1960s about all the fun and danger.

And I also remembered walking back into a newsagent in Sydney one day with a log of penny crackers all fused together about a foot long and three inches wide and asking the lady there if she wanted to buy my little creation as I had spotted a James Bond Aston Martin Matchbox toy car that I really needed.

Now if a kiddy did that today the Police and possibly even the Tactical Response Group (SWAT) squad would be there in a flash guns drawn.

Ah the 60s, as a kiddy what fun and we could buy cigarettes too!

Anton de Bloch
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 88.121.243.153
Posted on Tuesday, 27 November, 2018 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I was "Younger", our fun was to throw a couple of large bangers up the tunnel of the London underground. You would not Believe the bang. Terrified some people though. Grown out of that now.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 987
Posted on Wednesday, 28 November, 2018 - 10:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Our parents would have been mortified had they known what we were up to and considering these stories and others that shall remain untold to protect the names and reputations of the guilty, it is amazing that we survived our adolescence!

David Gore

Post Number: 3078
Posted on Monday, 03 December, 2018 - 20:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir - not to be outdone has asked me to post some photos from his outdoor collection........ still waiting for Puss Nasty and Roger the Randy Rooster to make an appearance.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Tuesday, 04 December, 2018 - 03:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks to our esteemed Moderator, I have for you Comrades, pics of my original right hand drive Lada Niva.

As you can see it is a totally unmolested original.

Not wanting to brag Jetsetters, but I am the only person in Mount Coolon who owns in this town of 10 in Outback Queensland, not only a Rolls Royce Silver Spirit, not only a Rolls Royce Camargue but yes a Lada Niva.

Everything is original. For example there are rust holes in the rear door you can actually put your finger through, together with rust hole in floor you can put your fist through.

Marvel with wild envy at the fact that this car was built in THE SOVIET UNION, good old USSR, or if you prefer Russian, the CCCP, oh yes Comrades and this one is a beauty.

Notice with envy again with great socialistic theory I have not one but three gear sticks. One obviously for shifting gear, one to change from two wheel drive to four wheel drive, and one for high or low range. Maybe I have this wrong. One maybe for engaging the rear diff lock. I don't know but what I can tell you is this car has not cost me a cent or even a rouble.

That's right Comrades and furthermore see that front bumper bar, that is fabricated from aluminium, that's Soviet aluminium to you, which is about a quarter of an inch thick. Not only that my Lenin loving matey-ho friends the front indicator assemblies are NOT PLASTIC but are indeed heavy diecast.

Okay you say what about the big crease in the bonnet/hood? Well when I bought my country lair eight years ago, I made the mistake of allowing the drunken, that's outback drunken fencer who sold the place to me, to reside here for almost three years rent free and the fool lit a fire in summer down the eastern fence line to backburn and of course he did it on a windy day and the fire got away from him and he had to move the Niva quickly so he rammed it with a backho/tractor but wait, there's more. I did not kick him out because of that but because he accused me of stealing his father's axe and his car's registration papers.

Yes, poor chap got what is called alcoholic paranoia so I kicked the swine to the curb.

But indeedy, I got this car with the property as it was abandoned in the paddock next door by some younger chap that was actually flung out of town on the end of the barrel of a loaded gun. Quirky things can happen like that in Mount Coolon.

Now this export model was made in a town called Togliatti which is on the other side of the Volga river from its sister town called Zhigulovsk. Now I could tell you what goes on inside a place called the COME TO ME sanatorium in Zhigulovsk. A sanatorium which is sounds like a nut house but is infact a very large building in which during communist times was a resort where if you were a good communist and had an ailment you could go for two weeks of the year and all was paid for you like food and your room. Yes I could tell you what goes on in that building but the Administrator would come after me fast so just use your imagination ie both genders, lots of free food, and a tanker full of vodka and you get the picture.

But why is there a town deep within Soviet territory called Togliatti? Togliatti is Italian not Russian. Oh yes - well it goes like this, the head of the Italian Communist Party was indeed Togliatti and he got the entire town (more like a city) of Togliatti named after him which just goes to show that Communism works.

And indeed, if you want to know why most 1970s Fiats and Alfa Romeos are rust buckets that is because the sheet metal to make them comes from Togliatti and is the top shelf low quality SOVIET metal.Ha ha the nasty Russians got you again. Something about a barter deal the full truth of which will never be known but yes Russian Ladas do look like Fiat 124s because they are a copy of Fiat 124s.

Now about the Lada Niva. It has been a called a leech by a few writers because warped gearbox housings etc aside, when these thoroughly ugly cars are put to the test they can go where other 4 wheel drives sink and stay. High clearance from ground, light weight, low gearing, short wheel base, three gearsticks 5 speed overdrive, these little blighters thunder through swamp country just like leeches.

One day I will restore it to its former SOVIET glory because I have 90 kilometres from my door a huge lake in which are Australia's best tasting fish the Barramundi. Some say this lake is bigger than the Sydney harbour and the dam wall has a waterfall in the wet season to rival Niagra Falls. Naturally, there are probably only about forty billion mosquitos together with a few million or so of deadly snakes but you can't have everything in the Outback. There are also crocodiles but we won't go there.

One day Vladimir will come hurtling pass bogged lesser four wheel drives with large hammer and sickles on each door, perhaps even large Soviet flag on his way to Barramundi paradise, yes past Landcruisers, Jeeps and dare I say it Range Rovers.

The other car in the last pics is one of the last WB Holden Panel Vans. I got this for a carton of Rum and Cola - about $30 AUD so don't laugh. It appears to be an original NCR car. That is Nation Cash Register company. It came with a straight 6 carby engine (no computer) and a four speed manual box with the V8 Salisbury diff/final drive.

Laugh at the rusted bottom rear tail gate all you want but with it came a good rust free tailgate painted blue. These panelvans were solid and had a full chassis. So yes you can slot a Chevy 454 V8 straight in with a 6 speed Tremec manual gearbox and then you have not only a car you can travel around the whole of Australia in and sleep in but a van that can really hammer along.

You would not believe how many offers I have had to buy this thing off me -its insane and that is just people travelling through Mount Coolon. These vans have skyrocketed in price to the point that it is not uncommon to see good examples for sale at twice the price of a Spirit or Spur. Insane I know but there you have it. It could well be that over half of Australia's younger generation were actually conceived in the back of these vans.

Naturally, one day I will purchase a WB Holden Statesman and cannibalise it for the seats, dash, and electric windows and front grill lights etc.

These vans are dead easy to work on and are reliable as it gets. No Mercedes/Renault compurised leave you stranded in the outback vans for me!

This van will be fast, reliable, convenient and while others pay $100 bucks a night for a seedy Australian motel room, I will be in the back with Puss Nasty in total luxury and probably a cold carton of full strength beer!

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 282
Posted on Tuesday, 04 December, 2018 - 06:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought you were off the beer Vlad. Have you fallen off the wagon?!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Tuesday, 04 December, 2018 - 06:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can we all picture this?

Vlad in the outback

Vlad going to work

Vlad in the mud

Grand Master

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Tuesday, 04 December, 2018 - 07:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No Larry still on the wagon and getting things done but no doubt I will purposely fall off again in my later years and as Six Vicious said " go out in a blaze of glory "!

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, 04 December, 2018 - 08:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done Vlad, keep the faith, that "blaze of glory" Sid referred to is a myth and anything but glorious.

Harry Heuchan
Frequent User
Username: harry_heuchan

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, 04 December, 2018 - 18:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What is it?I here you say. (It is one of my Projects)Any Guesses?(Not The Master Engineer form UT.. He already Knows)

Z3

Grand Master

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Tuesday, 04 December, 2018 - 20:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The rear bumper bare looks Jaguar the rest the car has me bewildered totally.

Harry Heuchan
Frequent User

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, 04 December, 2018 - 20:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As you can see.
Aluminum body. not Jaguar. but VERY quick.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Tuesday, 04 December, 2018 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maserati?

Grand Master

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Tuesday, 04 December, 2018 - 22:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't think its Maserati, Lancia, Ferrari, Fiat or Marcos or Jensen.

Whatever it is its very rare and totally obscure.

Harry you are too cruel!

Harry Heuchan
Frequent User

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, 05 December, 2018 - 00:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A Clue in this detail

Detail

Harry Heuchan
Frequent User

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, 05 December, 2018 - 00:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The 'driver' for above

driver

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Wednesday, 05 December, 2018 - 01:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bristol?
Facel Vega?

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 286
Posted on Wednesday, 05 December, 2018 - 04:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bristol Zagato Lancia Flavia Sport

Harry Heuchan
Frequent User

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, 05 December, 2018 - 04:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bingo Larry.
1966 (Zagato) Lancia Flavia Sport

(ex Martin Buckley car)
Still in need of T.M.E. (Time. Money. Effort)

Front

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 288
Posted on Wednesday, 05 December, 2018 - 05:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do I win the finished car Harry & do I have to arrange delivery myself or is that included also?!

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, 05 December, 2018 - 05:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is it the H4 OHV 1800cc twin carb model? Great project.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Wednesday, 05 December, 2018 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Harry I do hope you have the side rear windows for this project as I don't think given there were only 626 with three prototypes made so that is indeed going to be a problem if one gets scratched smashed or is missing.

Perhaps you can make some from Lexen.

A very rare beast there Harry I can't see you parting with this car in a hurry.

Top marks though for the mystery.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Wednesday, 05 December, 2018 - 21:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting car, will be a show winner.
The window fixings and door handle had me foxed.
The 50s early sixties had this type.

Must get to the shed and look over my boxer engine 1500cc FWD, also have a Appia 12 1/2 degree v4 engined pillarless car.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3275
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 13:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I guess my C5 doesn't rate.
T and C5

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3276
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 13:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

But. The R-Type is still my favourite.
Mt Beauty

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 17:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Horses for courses, The C5 last of the Hydropneumatic suspension cars to roll off the production line 2/6/17.
Great cars, will in time be a collectors icon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcUSMJ_bEjw

PSA Citroen IMO have now lost the plot with their new type "cushion" comfort suspension.
The seats as well are now designed to soften the bumps!
And IMO a major failing now is due to the lack of self levelling with in the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnTDbUCKhME&feature=youtu.be

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 918
Posted on Tuesday, 01 January, 2019 - 23:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just made a new years list for the case 580. Makes RR ownership look easy.

- weld crack in left loader arm
- weld bucket support
- weld fishplate on boom
- fix left brake
- replace pressure fitting under drivers seat
- rebuild back hoe curl cylinder
- fix stay chains for landing gear
- coolant
- refill air filter oil
- bypass cab heater
- replace left rear tire

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2057
Posted on Wednesday, 02 January, 2019 - 06:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All easy work Ross.

I spent many years doing plant work just after I finished my apprenticeship at the same electricity supply council.

My favourite job in winter was hard face welding of bucket edges.
Not so good in summer.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2362
Posted on Sunday, 06 September, 2020 - 04:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Forgot about these stored in a dry shed.

Light of day for many years, Austin A90 in a solid state.

Out in the evening sun!

Just have to find the old log books!

David Gore

Post Number: 3784
Posted on Sunday, 06 September, 2020 - 08:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

The classic Ferguson "little grey tractor" much loved by restorers here and the only tractor ever to have been shouted [i.e. Oz-speak for purchased by someone else in gratitude] a beer in a pub for services rendered.

https://visitwentworth.com.au/1956-wentworth-floods/

See the 4th post in the link below for the story and a picture:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/16947/16661.html

Spent many an hour in my teenage years driving one on a dairy farm owned by one of Dad's bank customers.

The link to the "Old Grey Fergie" song in the link above no longer works and it may be accessed on the link below:

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-F0ZstwSX8&feature=share

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Sunday, 06 September, 2020 - 08:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great pics Patrick.

Just goes to show there are still probably millions of treasures still waiting to be unearthed.

Hope you and your family are all well during these unusual times.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Monday, 07 September, 2020 - 01:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

wow Patrick.........
lovely cars and great photos

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2363
Posted on Monday, 07 September, 2020 - 04:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks chaps. David the Fergie is a 6 volt all petrol model.
Can-not remember the year but will hunt for the log book.

More pictures on the cars as I ease them out of the barn next week.
Tyres all flat but still pump up, so far.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, 07 September, 2020 - 23:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

So, we're showing off our toys eh,....

Ok, Well my daily driver and tour vehicle is my 95 Nissan Pathfinder.

2 weekend ago I just did the 990,000klm service and apart from a slight drop in compression, she runs like new.

Around 950,000 I replace the starter motor and at 980,000 I replaced the alternator only because the brushes had worn out, I still have the alternator and will replace the brushes etc later and have it as a spare. The only other item is the radiator was replaced at the 800,000 as the tank was cracked inside where it dose'nt show, I took it to get a pin hole in the core fixed and it was cheaper to replace the whole thing with a new radiator than fix the core.

The disc pads and drum shoes were replaced at 400,000 and this first replacement set is STILL going! The originals I still have and they are less than 10% worn.

I had planned on doing a full engine rebuild at 1 million K's,....

Next is my International D1310:

I'm going to put it on club reg aand just have to get the horn working to get the roady.

I've replaced a brake line and fitted NEW tyres, got the windscreen washer working.

But for safety I replace the headlights.

You can see the left is the original light, its reflector was so bad you would get more light on high beam if you lit a match and stuck it outside the window!

The right is the new headlight.

I repainted the grill and IH badge.

Looks a lot better, I'm not going for a restored look, I want to keep the patina and will paint it in a fake business livery, I'm thinking of a combination gun shop and brothel,...

This one has the same engine in it that was used in the International 6x6 army trucks, and it has the twin carby's and duel headers.

Yeah, it needs a little more than the smell of an oily rag but it has a bucket load of torque.

Ok,...

And now for something different.

I have a couple of years ago now imported a 1959 Kaiser Jeep- M35A2c

Other wise known as a 'Deuce and a Half'

These were designed to run after a nuclear war.

They are EMP proof and everything is mechanical.

It dose NOT require electricity to run!

It has a multi fuel engine that is a compression ignition device.

And I have the only one here in Australia.

There are a couple of M series wreckers with the gasoline engines here and two of those are in a tank museum used to move tanks around.

Mine spent its sevice life as a tanker for fire fighting on the base.

It served with 1st Battalion 19 Special Forces Group Utah.

It was retired and surplussed out in 1970, they kept the tank but left the rear PTO on and this makes it rare, they then fitted it with a brand NEW A3 bed (the side fold down unlike the A2's where only the tail gate folds down)

Troop seats and cargo cover.

Then sold off.

It went to a rich guy who had his own private car museum in Utah, he died about 3yrs ago now and his kids who wanted nothing to do with his collection sold everything off.

It was purchased by the deputy sherrif in Idaho.

He had it for 6 months during the ski season and decided to get a 5 ton.

He had borrowed some money to get this even though he low balled the estate and wanted to get his money back.

So I ended up getting it for what he payed for it, and then had to ship it home.

It came with 9 spare wheels, the soft top conversion, artic covers, tools,... well about a ton of spares and accessory's.

The only thing it needs is the 'Whistler turbo'

Mine has the 'D' turbo that is quieter.

But,.. I found a NOS 'C- Whistler' turbo!

SO later I'll have that glorious sound when I swap the turbo's over.

Being a Multi fuel it can run on diesel, jet fuel, used engine-gear-diff-cooking oil and marine oil diluted with petrol or moonshine.

It loves Vegetable oil as peanut oil was the first diesel oil until they got it as a byproduct when refining petrol.

So I can run it on fish and chip oil!

Before this whole C-19 farce I showed it at Hanging Rock and it WON Coolest Ride award!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afFaWPWu-2A

Well You cant have a M35A2c without getting the trailer that was made for it,....

You need the set!

So I got a M105A2 trailer to keep it company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkHOty3tLSE&list=PLWlo0FHJflTdKihcxyg6rTO61RN5MPDB3&index=6

Oh yeah, the M105 was refurbished in 2009.

It was effectively rebuilt with all NEW parts and then sold as surplus!

I wanted the standard configuration trailer with troop seats/cargo.

But I got a rare CBC hard top trailer as it was just karma,... I can still get the side/bows and cargo cover and can have the standard configuration when ever I want/need it as the hard top unbolts and I effectively have 2 trailers.

Oh, I did take the Deuce seats and have them recovered in canvas as peoples 'battle rattle' tore the drivers seat to shreds.

And to finish I managed to find a restored and WORKING Vic-1 coms system for the Deuce.

Oh and for those who were talking about the Holden vacuum wipers,....

The Deuce has pneumatic wipers,....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJb8yb0EES0

The only electrics in the Deuce is the lights, started motor and lift pump in the fuel tank and it dose'nt need it to run.

There is only 1 fuse in the whole vehicle and thats for the lift pump.

So if I have'nt bored you all to tears by now,....

Graham.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Tuesday, 08 September, 2020 - 00:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not my cup of tea but pretty much indestructible.

here's something must trucks can't do.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, 08 September, 2020 - 00:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxwwim244mk&list=PLWlo0FHJflTdlOxE6wRE9SChUKmEA-z20&index=11&pp=QAA%3D

Notice the millage, yes, its not even run in yet!

Actually Ross, mine can.

The engine is sealed and the whole truck is rated for operation UNDERWATER for 4 hrs duration.

Mind you the service afterwards,....

Only thing is the air intake has to be above water.

Graham.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Tuesday, 08 September, 2020 - 12:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

All they did for that stunt was fit a snorkel and load the tires.

There is tons of footage on youtube with these things up to the hood, plugging along quite happily.

Gas jeeps ... well that's another story

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, 08 September, 2020 - 12:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Correct Ross, I have seen lots of vids on U-tube of these vehicles driving through high water,...

Have you seen the vids of the national guard driving their modern vehilces through water deeper than the air intake, it hydrolocks,... and then floats away as they bail out and swim for safety,....

(Hurricane Katrina)

Would'nt want to have to explain that when you get back to your FOB.

For going through waters like that there is a 'Fording Kit' you need to use, it take the breathers from the Axles-gearbox-transfer case
and routes it into the air filter box.

AT the bottom of the bell housing there is a plug stored in its threaded holder, you take that out and put it in the hole venting the bell housing sealing that from water ingress.

With normal operation it should be open.

Graham.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2075
Posted on Thursday, 10 September, 2020 - 04:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

wow that Kaiser Jeep is the business.....

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, 10 September, 2020 - 16:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well today I got the horn working on my Inter D1310 and I got the Tacho working!

Now ready for its roady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osh2QpQJjpc

Graham.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2364
Posted on Friday, 11 September, 2020 - 06:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A quick look up on the tractors serial no TE13025 shows It was manufactured in 1947.

Down to the barn to extract more cars the Daimler is next

Jag xj6 when time permits.

The 1 off 1965 Morris Oxford estate with factory 1.5 diesel fitted, special order from a haulier when new.

Next to see the light of day from 30 years ago is the 58 2cv v5 states 300cc?

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Friday, 11 September, 2020 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

Excellent!

Patrick,

Why are you pulling everything out?

I am going to guess you are going to hold your very own classics rally.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Friday, 11 September, 2020 - 09:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Also, I have always wanted a 2cv and they are pretty rare in the states.

If you have any interest in selling it, PM me.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 252
Posted on Friday, 11 September, 2020 - 18:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, you should know that the early 2CVs had 375cc engines (that is three hundred and seventy-five ccs), and are - what's the word I'm looking for - gutless. They are sought after because they are special in their own unique way, but they are unsuitable for use as anything other than a bit of sloooow fun. I have a late one with 602ccs. Though it will never win a drag race it is as fast as any other car in town traffic and cruises on the inside lane of UK motorways at a comfortable 60MPH. It will even overtake the occasional slow vehicle, but doesn't like headwinds and uphills. See the thousands of internet stories of 2CVs crossing deserts or continents and driving around in the Arctic.

Every part of a 2CV is available for spares/repairs - the 2CVGB club remanufactures rare bits.

Mine is used more than the Cit CX or the Bentley T because it is convenient and easily repairable. It took the body off and had it re-vamped soon after I bought it. The chassis is a galvanised copy which should last for ever.

But they are fun and they make friends. If you decide you want one for use in the USA consider buying a "back to factory condition" LHD car from one of the firms that do complete rebuilds for a bit over 10K GBP.

Alan D.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Friday, 11 September, 2020 - 22:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Thanks, I would guess the 600cc unit is more common and easier to get parts for.

In your opinion, what would be the "best" year?

Also, is there anything to specifically look out for when buying one of these?

I would really only consider a used unit half for the education in fixing it up, half for the price, and half for not being self conscious about parking lot bumps and such.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2076
Posted on Saturday, 12 September, 2020 - 01:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Ross,
i have come across Citroen 2CVs on at east 3 occasions on copart.com. These cars were all in the USA and they all sold for peanuts.
Keep an eye and one day another will come up.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Saturday, 12 September, 2020 - 01:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Good idea.

I would need one that is close to working though.

Best

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2365
Posted on Saturday, 12 September, 2020 - 01:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

you should know that the early 2CVs had 375cc engines.............not according to DVLA V5

Also DVLA state the year as 1958, however the serial no 421744 in my data book makes it 1952.
On opening the washboard bonnet I see it has service history!

Oh dear just remembered I have a later mint 2cv passing away peacefully with some Lancia's.

Ross the early 2Cv is a 6 volt, and the advantage for you is it being a left hooker!
I have to many cars so will be moving some on as I did with some of the motor bike collection.
Cripes can this be true https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1255117

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 253
Posted on Saturday, 12 September, 2020 - 03:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That "car and classic" 2CV is an example of an early car which is an "enthusiast" vehicle. If you have one in UK you are expected to go camping at every opportunity with the roof down, and spend the evenings barbequing and drinking. If that is what you want, good for you, and you will meet lots more enthusiasts, it's the perfect vehicle for that, but IMO it is not really a car fit for 21st century driving.

Look at a 2CV website for details of the different engine sizes fitted at different times. Mine is a 1988 car, a Charleston, with 602ccs, inboard front disk brakes and LHM hydraulics. It has been on 300mile trips to holiday homes with two up and the rear loaded with luggage, no problems, but for longer journeys I choose a bigger car.

The 602cc engine is powerful enough to cope with 21st century traffic if you don't want to beat everyone else off the mark at traffic lights, but if you remember the rules "If in doubt put your foot down", and that it is almost impossible to burst the engine, and that your ears will ring at the end of a long trip, then go for it. There are lots of helpful books to assist the 2CV novice.

You will learn the technique of defensive driving, because the car has no modern safety features except seat-belts - no ABS, no air-bags, no side-impact bars, no crumple zones (except the entire body and chassis), no collapsing steering column and so on, but it is FUN FUN FUN, and as I said before, it makes friends,

Alan D.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Saturday, 12 September, 2020 - 04:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

6v and 300cc is a little too rustic for my blood. I think I'll be looking for a 600cc unit.

Alan,

The odd of me crossing paths with a 2cv maven rounds to zero. No enthusiasts here.

This would be the lowest powered vehicle in the fleet ( not counting motorcycles of course)

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Saturday, 12 September, 2020 - 05:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here you go Ross....
https://www.copart.com/lot/42785870/salvage-1972-citr-ds21-ny-newburgh

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Saturday, 12 September, 2020 - 05:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

and one more....

https://www.copart.com/lot/43754140/clean-title-1973-citr-3cvazamm28-ca-sun-valley?resultIndex=422&totalRecords=596&backTo=%2FlotSearchResults%2F%3FfromSavedSearch%3Dtrue&from=%2Fsavedsearch&searchCriteria=%7B%22query%22:%5B%22

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, 12 September, 2020 - 18:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The white car probably has a 435cc engine, assuming the date quoted is correct. Argentinian series are not covered by my manuals, but a trawl of the internet would confirm/deny that.

More powerful than a 345 but still sluggish - 26hp SAE compared to 33hp for the later 602cc cars. When you need all you can get, like going uphill, the extra 7hp works wonders. Even the extra 2ccs on the bigger engine must be worth having.

Alan D.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2366
Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2020 - 05:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The last to extract from the barn was the XJ6 first registered March 1973 one previous owner with 81000 miles.
Was going to get the 2Cv running now that the TE20 is up and running.
However the William Lyons design of the Jag has me more excited, so will get this one up and running.

Plenty of dash switches and gauges.

Last used when I purchased the car in 1998, plenty of repairs to the loom and make up plug leads as the wild life have had a good chew!

Overhaul the petrol pumps and carbs and make sure the engine is free.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2020 - 06:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I like the RAC badge on the XJ's grill. I have one on the red mini. I think if I broke down calling the RAC in Carver Massachusetts USA wouldn't get me much.

What engine is the red 2cv and is that one going as well?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2367
Posted on Tuesday, 15 September, 2020 - 05:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross, the badge was on the Jag when I bought it.
This was the AA badge (Automobile Association)

The 2CV Special has the 602cc, I will be keeping this one for the time being.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Tuesday, 15 September, 2020 - 10:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

My mistake, I went and looked at the mini and it's an AA badge as well.

I found a promising candidate in Ashford which is relativly close to London where it would be shipped from. On the other end I am right near Boston which is a big port as well.

The car is cheap enough and has a galvanized chassis and little rust. Not all sellers trust international sales so I have to wait and see if he will be OK shipping.

I contacted a logistics company I have used in the past so we'll see how that goes.

I was thinking that it might make sense to wait until the end of the year and see if the exchange rate improves but lots of other stuff could happen at that time as well.

Anyway,

Good luck with the car purge. I have to do one of those myself at some point.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 309
Posted on Friday, 18 September, 2020 - 22:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Ross, Just going back on something I mentioned before, I found the video and thought you might have a laugh as I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC2felZpp64

Graham.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2020 - 07:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

Nice.

I think the snorkle can be 1cm above the water just fine, one under ... well, that's a different story all together.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2020 - 09:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In a similar vein - the Melbourne Fire Service

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=janfyzt4Qyk

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2368
Posted on Tuesday, 22 September, 2020 - 06:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cripes, on with the Jaguar loom repaired and all HT leads made up and replaced.
New distributor contacts.
spark plugs removed no 6 was seized but freed up with a little bit at a time.
Carbs repaired and set up, electric pumps serviced and repaired, old stale fuel removed what a smelly job.

Fresh fuel and would it start no, just firing somtimes and then nothing.

Time has not clouded all of the brain!! time to service the cold start enrichment device (starting carb) wow refitted after a good service and the old girl sprang into life.
A trip round the corn stubble to clean the underside.
Jobs to do
Washer pump
Exhaust repairs
Oil filter change.
Electric windows
Brakes, caliper overhaul
Clean, some paint, polish
So far one bit of corrosion inner rear wheel arch.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 668
Posted on Tuesday, 22 September, 2020 - 09:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

a trip around the corn stubble to clean the underside is a novel labour saving idea, top marks for innovation go to Patrick.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Tuesday, 22 September, 2020 - 14:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

very clever indeed

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Wednesday, 23 September, 2020 - 10:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Those points look all too familiar.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2369
Posted on Wednesday, 23 September, 2020 - 16:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Ross Same as the Shadow, pumps can be serviced if done correctly, all contacts faces must be ground exactly the same.

More jobs to do
Floor operated dip switch
O/S inner headlight unit.
Radiomobile eight track unit and electric aerial to get working.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: