My Garden at Home - 2017 - Early Spring Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » My Garden at Home - 2017 - Early Spring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 04:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now that we have the "Idler Chatter" category, and since certain members here have expressed an interest in seeing what's going on in the garden surrounding my house over the years and seasons, I thought I'd share what's blooming and growing now.

2017 - Early Spring in the Garden

Right now we're in the earliest stages of the tree peonies coming into bloom along with the earliest of the herbaceous peonies. My partner is big into Japanese maples and conifers, too. I particularly like the single-flowered keria, with its electric yellow blazing out like a beacon from its shaded location.

The tree peonies are, as always, simply spectacular.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 05:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian our tree peonies are just starting to flower!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2521
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 07:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian and everyone,

More photos please - always interested in what plants grow in the different gardens around the world.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 07:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,
What a magnificent set of images.
Beautiful garden, beautiful flowers and plants, shot beautifully.
Very well done mate.
Thank you for sharing with us.

Great pics Patrick,
How about a few more?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 08:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks to all for the kind words. Beware of what you ask for. Omar can tell you that he's already been through one year's cycle of tree peony season, herbaceous peony season, lily season, iris season, . . . in the Hanger-Vogel garden.

The work never ends, but when the days of winter draw to a close what a glorious show we have from the earliest days of spring right up to the latest days of autumn!

This year was a particularly warm winter, which helped a lot. Our magnolias, though, were not at all happy with the single night that was well below freezing that came after they had begun to have major bud swelling. It would have been one of our most magnificent years for magnolias otherwise.

I just finished giving SRH33576 a bath and the tree peonies in the driveway island have all begun opening just since yesterday as well as a bunch more around the property that are further from the house.

Brian

P.S. to Patrick: What cultivar of tree peony is that? Yellow is a fairly rare color and it was used quite a bit to create the Itoh hybrids and get yellow into them.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is all I can offer regarding my garden

Lots of zero maintenance natives, but I am a lawn keeper, so love having and maintains a nice lawn.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 587
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 13:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a Rolls-Royce blocking the view of the garden?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 14:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lol
An older pic that sort of showed my lawn

David Gore

Post Number: 2522
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 14:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

You and my partner will have a lot in common when you meet - she is also dedicated to zero-maintenance native plants. The major difference is she has a magnificent branching grass tree [Xanthorrhoea] adjacent to the front steps plus a couple of self-sown "pups" from the first flower spike several years ago. Our neighbour has a native bee hive and the bees think they are in heaven when the spikes flower although they have a never-say-die competition with the little honey-eater birds who also know exactly when the spikes will flower. The bees are one step ahead of the birds; they know the greatest amount of nectar is available just after sunrise so they are there waiting. The birds must like a sleep-in as they come later in the morning or mid-afternoon and you can spend a lot of time watching them hover and dip their beak into each small flower.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 17:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes David,
The less work for me the better.

Gives me more time to spend on the cars

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 18:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, sorry I am not a gardener just plant ones that the wife likes.
However I could send you some seeds or young plants if it is legal.
They seem to pop up between some gaps in the patio.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 20:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They seem to be thriving there Patrick.

Graham Watson
Experienced User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 21:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What great pictures. Patrick I love your lawn, between my kid, the neighborhood kids, dog, etc. my lawn always looks like where they do missile testing!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2017 - 23:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Graham,
It can be hard work, I mow it 3 times a week at its peak, with the mower set on its highest setting, you sink up to your ankles in it.
Don't cut grass low, that's my secret.

The neighbors 14 year old kid gave it what for years ago with his bloody trail bike.
Ripped the middle up in 2 ruts with huge knobby tyres.

No muffler, not registered, starting it at 7am on Saturdays and Sundays.

Well that all stopped when he didn't put it away one night, and somehow a half kilo of sugar found its way into the fuel tank.

Gee, don't know how that happened, they never did fix it.

David Gore

Post Number: 2524
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 09:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Ramset expanding foam up the exhaust pipe also works a treat.....

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 09:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now that's a good idea David.

I will keep that in mind if the bike ever re starts.

John Beech
Grand Master
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 10:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My field of weeds . . .
Weeds in springtime
- Our weeds in springtime

Close up of the blossom
- Close up of the blossom

Mowing the south 40
- Mowing the south 40

. . . as for mowing with the deck in the highest position - ain't happening - not in a million years! As it is, the job takes me 2-1/2 to 3 hours and once a week during the height of the growing season is tough on my back (although right now I am going about two weeks between trims). I have a guy I pay most of the time to ride the mower but when he has other work and it needs cutting it's hop on and get it done. Kubota 20hp diesel on a 60" cut Jacobsen surrounds mower that's about 30 years old. Bought it second hand from the airport authority with a new engine and I take real good care of it because a new one to replace it is nearly $15,000 (and the airport doesn't auction them off any longer). Anyway, we don't get the blooms every year (something to do with when and how much it rains).

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 10:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now THAT is a magnificent lawn John, bowling green beautiful.

We may all have to put our heads together to get that Kubota pumping more horses, so you can get it done quicker.

Nice pics mate.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 364
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 11:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Seat-Solutions/HEAVY-DUTY-SEAT-SUSPENSION-HEIGHT-WEIGHT-ADJ-1-3811.axd

Not cheap, but maybe a must have for the mower.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 16:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And here resides GZU7:

Our farmhouse (built 1784) in the background
In the background is the farmhouse, built 1784, where we live and where the ancestors of my wife come from, at least as far back as there are documents to prove it. We had to restore/rebuild it extensively 20 years ago, before we moved here. Last year we had the pond built in the foreground. We do no farming ourselves, the farmland has been let to a nearby farmer.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 18:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John those weeds look the part, lovely.
I have weeds "snakes head" in the grass that I am told not to mow till they die then the grass is soooo long.

The wild garden is a sea of blue.

Spring is well and truly here out of the wind.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross what a good idea with the seat.

I have a old Kubota 4wheel steer it goes like the clappers but the bumps do slow you down.
Will look into the seat setup.

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like to collect Iris, I have a good few. Here is a sample of some of the colours/specimens I have collected.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan never seen such a lovely variation of colours.
We seem to have these sprouting up in different parts of the garden.

love hearts to all the gardeners wife's!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 21:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas,
Magnificent mate.

You have a house that is older than the founding of my country!

You probably have mail boxes older than our oldest city!!!

Beautiful residence for a beautiful car.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 21:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lovely pics there Patrick.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Did you take the pics of those amazing looking iris?

Beautiful colours.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 22:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I took all but two of them Patrick. Some I have are yet to flower as they can take a season or two to settle down. It's then when I use others photo's.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 22:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great job Alan.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2017 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, Alan, Patrick, great spring photos, best season of the year.

Jonas, beautiful house. How's the garage?

We just put in the annuals this morning. They look nice but being a vegetarian, my wife eats the edible ones.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 00:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You will need to plant double mate, so you can keep food on the table for her.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 00:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wont put them all up but here are a few more, these are my photo's.

enjoy

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 01:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross
This is the back side of our house with the garages, where GZU7 just peeks out with her back, showing her former UK registration:

Back side of our farmhouse

And this is the sunny side of our house with the added greenhouse (aka wintergarden/conservatory) and part of the lawn. We have a robot mower to cut the grass. It took me approx. 700 meters of buried filament for the boundaries to keep the mower from running away.....:

The "sunny side" with conservatory

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 07:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great pics Alan,

Thanks for sharing mate.

Jonas,
thanks for the extra pics, your property is amazing.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 12:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas,

I remember seeing a robot mower in a little 2 meter square pen at the home center.

There was a sign warning you not to enter. I remember thinking no one in their right mind would enter the ring with a robotic lawnmower.

How long does it take before it returns for a recharge? Is it guided or does it sort of bumble around like a sheep? (Which make terrible lawn mowers by the way)

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 17:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross
You can get these robomowers in different sizes, depending on the size of the field it has to mow, for relatively little money. Mine is the second-biggest model by Husqvarna and cost about US$ 2500. I have never watched how long it goes exactly between recharges, but I guess more than two hours. You bury a cable (attached to a pin in the charging station) approx. throu the middle of your field and when the battery is low and the mower crosses this cable it will follow the cable home to the charging station.
Yes, the mower criss-crosses the field between the limiting cables at random. I am astonished that after some time it has gone all over the field, even into corners and rather secluded parts. You just let it work long enough and never let the grass grow too long and the grass-shreds will be unobtrusive.
A warning however: You must plan the layout of your garden before you bury the limiting cable. Every change in the layout requires the limiting cable to be adapted, and that is a rather tedious labor.
Sorry to go somewhat off the theme of this discussion, but after all this caregory is called idle chatter....
JoT

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It doesn't matter Jonas.

We love interesting stuff

That was interesting to know, as I have never seen one of these mowers you are referring to.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick
Google Husqvarna Automower
Here is picture of my Husky 330 X sipping electrons:

Automower at charging station

Here it is at work:

Automower 330 X at work

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I coud watch a machine like that working for hours on end!!!!
Beautiful house Jonas, my father was born in Austria and I love the old Alpine houses

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 22:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a cool machine Jonas.
I've learned something today, so that's a good day.
Your house is stunning mate.
Thanks for sharing all your pics with us.

We are very lucky here on this forum, we get to see such lovely parts of the world.
Just think, it wasn't that long ago, pictures like these would have to have been processed printed and sent to the (single) recipient by air or sea mail.
Now we get to see a beautiful house and an awesome mower in Switzerland instantly.
Great stuff.

What's not so great, is:
I have to push my Husky

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 374
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 22:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas,

Thanks for the pics and info. Off topic but educational.

Speaking of off topic. The random mow pattern reminds me of a story. I guess at some stage in your life everything reminds one of a story.

The story goes something like this. A vision processing autonomous robot competition was held. Robots had to collect colored pucks from a 10 meter by 10 meter arena then drive them to 4 scoring pillars and press a panel a meter off the floor to get points. Multi million dollar robots created by teams of doctorates created all sorts of fancy vision processing systems.

Who won? A single guy entered with a dustpan attached to a RC car with a broomstick sticking up. His code, drive until you hit a wall, turn left, drive until you hit a wall, repeat ad infinitum. The story is rich in guiding principles, but one is that when doing random tasks, bumbling around often works great.

They husky looks like the RR of mowers ... so ... I probably have a couple three test casts of the SOE in white plastic sitting around that were cast without the cylinder to mount to the grill.

You would be on your own for mounting it. But you would certainly have classiest terolien automated robotic lawn mowing system.

Let me know and I can send one out.

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 22:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas,
Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures. I used to dream about a robotic mower when I was a kid. My dad did not have to worry about the mower running off just the operator

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 03:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross
I have sent you a private message
Jonas

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 04:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Our husky is really a great help. No more harking of grass, no more any evil-smelling heap of mouldering grass. You even can program it to start on its own say every Tuesday and Friday at 8am, program it to not work when its raining..... But it leaves about 10" uncut along walls and other obstacles that you have to trim from time to time if you want your lawn perfect.
We live on the ground and first floor. My wife has an artist's workshop in the basement. There are 2x2 garages for the cars. My workshop is in another building about half a mile away.
Under the roof is a very romantic flat that we let. There is also a studio, separated from our ground floor flat, that we also let. This studio was meant for one of our sons during his IME studies, but he married rather young.

Here are a few pics of the attic flat:

Entrance to attic flat
This is the entrance to the attic flat. Straight ahead is the bedroom, above it a small room that serves as an office. Entrance to the main flat from the stairs head to the right

View throu main living area
View throu main living room, foreground dining corner, kitchen far left, bathroom middle left between ladder and oven

living room
View in the other direction, bathroom to the far right, kitchen behind oven, dining corner in the background. Ladder to the gallery/attic

Living corner
Living quarters. Living and dining is one long uninterrupted room. All the old beams of the mighty roof are prominent

David Gore

Post Number: 2528
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 07:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas,

I greatly appreciate you giving us the privilege of seeing inside a traditional Swiss home.

I am interested in the size of the roof beams presumably due to the need to allow for the mass of snow on the roof during winter. Also, I get the impression of a snug, warm and comforting environment for long, cold and dark winter days which are completely alien to those of us in Australia.

Thank you.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 08:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excellent post Jonas.

Is the letting period for longer stays, or quick visits?

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick
This attic flat is not for vacation rental, it is permanently let. It is not very practical for a family with children, but super for a couple. The main room (living/dining/kitchen/bath) formerly was where the hay stack was, before we restored/rebuilt the hose 20 years ago. The entrance was the former upper barn floor where the hay wagons entered to unload, hence the difference in level of about 4' between the bedroom and the main living.
The beams measure about 8x9" in cross section and from the apex to the outside wall over 20'. Originally the roof was covered with wooden shingles, later with terracotta tiles and now for reasons of weight saving with cement shingles, as the insulation, panelling and roof windows add quite some mass. When we got the house 20 years ago from the estate of my wifes uncle the house was in a state of disrepair and in WW1 standard: Just one 6 Amp fuse each for the farmers living quarters and one for the stables, no telephone, an outside loo directly over the cesspit, no bathroom and just one single watertap in the kitchen, single pane windows, heating only from the kitchenstove with the smoke going throu a sandstone oven in just one room..... It would have been more economical to tear it down and build a new house, but the charm and the history would have been lost, just as with a rebodied pre-war R-R.
Please excuse my ramblings outside the original theme of this thread, but I hope you find it entertaining.
JoT

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 592
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 17:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Following on the issue of "native plants" and "mowing", whether manual or automatic, and sheep as surrogates for that task, this is what I am confronted with at the family hunting lodge in Montana...early fall, rather than early spring though. Needless to say, manual is out of the question as well as is automatic. The adjacent National Forest has grazing leases and, there being no fences to deter them, cattle grazing is the only practical solution. As a bonus, they leave fertilizer in their wake. They are, however, smelly, can be noisy with their grunting and braying, and can be scarey if startled, in which event, a careful "bark" from my bodyguards "Mr Smith and Mr Wesson" sends them in the opposite direction. Too bad they don't like to eat sagebrush!

Southern "Yard"

Eastern "Yard"

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 20:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've been fully entertained & educated Jonas, thank you again.

Love the view Christian, great read as well.
Mr Smith & Mr Wesson sound like good for your health

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 00:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr. Lockyer,

Jumping way back to your photo of the butterfly on the bright orangish-yellow (or yellowish-orange) blooms: what is the plant that's blooming?

I see what look like very tiny holly leaves in the photo but I know of no holly that blooms like this. I'm presuming some sort of plant intertwining going on here, but I'm really curious as to what that is.

Dwarf iris season is now coming into full swing in the garden here. It will be a few weeks before the tall bearded iris come on strong.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 03:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian Mr.lockyer indeed.
I am known Pat or Patrick.

Now Brian I am no expert and please don't ask for Latin names but the plant shrub is a fighter and its name if I spell it correctly is Berberis Dawinii hope this helps.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 06:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Come on you Guys in OZ how about a nice bottle bush.
I have a couple of young ones but the old one sadly died of frost damage.

David Gore

Post Number: 2530
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

It is not flowering time for our bottle brushes [Callistemons] right now but I do have some magnificent specimens at my Sydney home along with some beautiful native Lilli Pillis. I live in an area with lots of natural bush and these bushes attract a lot of birds in the flowering/fruiting season - White Cockatoos [pests!!], Rainbow Lorikeets, King Parrots and imported pests Indian Mynas in particular [these became a problem 20 years ago however despite their aggressive behaviour, the local birds have learnt to fight back particularly for their nesting places and their numbers are increasing again thank goodness].

I live in a natural amphitheatre with huge eucalyptus trees and native shrubs which borders the Georges River and is a haven for wild life. One of life's greatest pleasures is to sit on my front balcony in the evening watching birds flying everywhere and listening to their calls as the sun sets, the sky darkens until the last call of the Kookaburras signals the day is done and the night animals come out - I am referring to ring tail possums squabbling over territories in particular however we have a Powerful Owl who enjoys a possum dinner to keep the peace in a manner of speaking. I also have black and brown snakes, funnel web spiders, blue tongue lizards and the occasional goanna makes an appearance [not as often now as home building is removing their habitat] climbing the tree trunks to raid bird nests for their eggs.

My area is the closest you will ever get to living in the bush whilst being in the city and is the reason I bought and built here 37 years ago.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2280
Posted on Thursday, 20 April, 2017 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, Patricks. I'm only using the formal because we've got two actively participating and it's just easier to differentiate who I'm asking/responding to.

I guess I'll go to Pat L, Patrick R, and (in the case of that other thread), Patrick F.

Just starting out with Pat or Patrick when there are two or three on the same thread makes me feel like I'm doing a variant on the now-ancient Saturday Night Live skit where a nuclear meltdown occurred because of differences in inflection on the sentence, "You can't put too much water in a nuclear reactor."

Brian, who's also known to use the "Mr. Surname" style just on a whim

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 04:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, I will wait for the show of bottle brushes
I'm sure the native species are a picture.
Sounds a very relaxing place to be after a hard days work or just leisure time.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Monday, 01 May, 2017 - 11:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are additional photos of what's come into bloom over the last several weeks, most of which started within the last several days.

Some later tree peonies, early season herbaceous peonies, azaleas, fringe tree (both Virginia and Chinese), a few iris (I think this one is Bluebeard), and others.

https://goo.gl/photos/iJ5eVBBnvXnL3JEJ7

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Monday, 01 May, 2017 - 22:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just stunning Brian,

Thanks for sharing, and terrific photos by the way.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Sunday, 14 May, 2017 - 10:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Next installation. Things are in rapid transition state now, as the photos show. There are some duplicates as certain things are still blooming their heads off.

Garden on May 5, 2017

We were out of town between the 6th and the 10th, with two solid days of rain since.

Garden on May 13, 2017

Brian

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, 15 May, 2017 - 16:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Latest R-R prototype mock-up discovered, still heavily disguised. "H" on front may hint to hybrid power system.

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, 17 May, 2017 - 07:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas, I want one!!

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, 17 May, 2017 - 11:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas,

You surely need a "My other mower is a RR" bumper sticker.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Wednesday, 17 May, 2017 - 11:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is SO good!

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, 17 May, 2017 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas,
What a hoot! It looks great.
Bet it mows even better now.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2356
Posted on Thursday, 29 June, 2017 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Latest installment as lily season is upon us here in Staunton, VA: https://goo.gl/photos/rthqK3WJ1hD4KNj76

Now, of course we're in very late spring/early summer.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Thursday, 29 June, 2017 - 12:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Amazing images & the colours are stunning Brian.

Good photography here mate.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 738
Posted on Sunday, 02 July, 2017 - 23:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Enjoy all your pics and notes. Push mowing is great exercise and enjoyable: my backup when the rider breaks, but it is slow.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2357
Posted on Saturday, 08 July, 2017 - 12:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For those who appreciate the unusual, but very striking, a small collection of five photos of the seed pods of a species peony we have, that are now reaching maturity and bursting open. The dark blue-purple bits are the seeds. You can see in the photo where my hand shows an example of what they look like just as they're beginning to split open.

https://goo.gl/photos/rZWHTPa51NePJ99i6

Graham Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, 10 July, 2017 - 23:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great pictures Brian,
Do you plant those seeds?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2358
Posted on Tuesday, 11 July, 2017 - 02:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

We have not done so as yet, because this is the first year that the plant has been mature enough to produce any (at least in quantity and where we could see them).

Given that it is a species I have little doubt that they'd germinate and produce a plant the same (or similar to, since we have other hybrids about) the parent.

If you happen to be in the USA and would like a few seeds I'd be happy to harvest some and send them to you. I can also ID the species as well, I just didn't look at the ID tag while taking the photographs. It's generally a lot more difficult to get these things through when international mail is involved. As a home gardener there is no way I'll ever go through the time and expense to get a phytosanitary certificate, that's for sure!

Brian

Graham Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, 11 July, 2017 - 04:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the kind offer but I am afraid I belong to the "black thumb" clan!