Importing a car another rampaging rant Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Importing a car another rampaging rant « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 717
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 06:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't get me wrong, I love Australia as much as Russia, but I do detest the swine politian who masquerade as goody two shoes nice guys and gals while they fleece the treasury to feather their own nests.

What gets me hopping crazy mad is their legal BS and there are mountains of it.

Legally I can pay up for an insect appearing Asian car new. Legally it appears I cannot import a 1996 Spur unless I have owned it and driven for twelve overseas. Why?

Oh the Australian Design Rules, and a swag of other legal entanglements to protect the dealerships.

Its all touted to protect me or the OZ public.
Forget the OZ manufacturer needing protection because its the full dodo now.

Frankly I should get compensation for listening to the lying dribble that the swine pollie pus out there.!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 11:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the UK we don't bother checking imported cars apart from an mot test which is £55 plus £25 registration fee and vat depending on car value.

I think if a car made for say the Hong Kong market is going to be fine in the UK with maybe small mods and adjustments.

We don't have privately imported cars having accidents all over the place. So no worries.

I notice on OZ cop shows that the Ozzy fuzz are very hot on modified cars and also the amount of hassle on has to go through just to fit lowered suspension.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 19:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

pity the UK are not as vigilant on "modified " cars . I witnessed a Golf with wide wheels, lowered suspension etc roll over with 4 occupants on a roundabout. Lack of suspension clearance. Most are undeclared to insurers : void insurance ! I have modified a couple of cars and there is quite a hassle with insurers and form filling including one company asking for an engineers report on a tuned mini engine.
Mark

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 22:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

We in the USA also have politicians who are, to put it politely, tone deaf. For example, in the western state of Oregon politicians recently introduced a House Bill (HB2877) in which they tried to screw the little guy. The proposal was to impose a $1000/5-year tax on cars older than 20 years. They couched it in the language of an 'impact fee' so as to appeal to the greens (of which there are a lot in the Pacific Northwest) and specified it would go 100% to the highway fund. Fortunately, this abomination of a power grab aroused the slumbering giant (otherwise known as the motoring public) and it's been defeated. More info if you're curious:

http://jalopnik.com/proposed-oregon-bill-would-tax-people-with-cars-20-year-1792227249

Finally, Mark, we in America don't operate with anything like the vigilance you mention for our automobiles but we do have bureaucrats overseeing our aircraft market. Interestingly, ever since the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) became heavy-handed with the regulations beginning wholeheartedly in the late 60s but really getting on a role in the 70s, the aircraft manufacturing and sales business took a nose dive from which it has never recovered. Conversely, in the auto market, the government had less of an impact because they don't prohibit aftermarket modifications the way they do with older aircraft where the game is "Mother-may-I?" like it is for autos in your part of the world. Coincidence? Do you have a roaring automobile business, or is it as moribund as our aircraft manufacturing business where pretty much all the new aircraft come from the Czech Republic instead and are in the LSA category, e.g. beneath 1320 pounds? Stupid government!

Grand Master

Post Number: 719
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would hardly call the OZ authorities vigilant when there are hundreds of thousands of ugly ąsian tiny microcars on the roads here that are flimsy deathtraps for the young.

I would call them negligent and I would call their political masters well paid off by the Asian manufacturers. Any trip to the local wreckers can produce evidence of what is really going on here.

The Australian auto manufacturing industry is dead and the wrecking yards are chockers with auto trash that should never been on the road in the first place.

The environmental fallout of this monstrosity is gigantic.

On the other hand even the common old Holdens, Falcons and Valiants made up to the late seventies are commanding big money in the secondhand classic market.

The "safe???" later model cars are the ones in the crusher and land fills AND most tbe commonly abandoned by the roadside cars bear an Australian Design Rule Compliance plate.

Not even the local wrecker will take my 1996 Commodore for free !!!

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 23:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, there is no problem in the UK modifying cars from the authorities as long as the vehicle is roadworthy, but it is a condition of insurers that all modifications from the car original specification are declared to them . Having filled in the insurance declaration forms , I have not had a premium loading ( perhaps at 60, I am not considered a "boy racer") . However a young lady in her early 20's that purchased my Frogeye Sprite had her quoted premium doubled when she declared the mildly uprated engine and rollover cage !I don't think the UK car industry ( what's left of it ) is in any way affected by regulation in terms of sales.

Mark

Grand Master

Post Number: 721
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 00:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is the press! Just received notice that I can't import a 1996 Spur from Ireland to Australia unless I have owned it overseas for 12 months. The reason? To protect the Australian Manufacturers - nope because they no longer exist or are closing down, it does not comply with Australian design rules - nope it probably does and exceeds them, oh I know it would damage the profits of RR dealers selling million dollar Phantoms - not likely.

Oh I know, we can't afford it in Australia because we pay 5.6 million dollars a year to the boss of Australia Post to sell stamps ? Not relevant. Oh I have it our Prime Minister is a potato with legs who has done nothing apart from smile like a Cheshire cat whilst getting paid over half a million a year while his cronies attack aged pensioners and the unemployed - close and very warm.

Here it is - the Australian bureaucracy has been closely approaching the levels of that of the Soviet Union ! Ah now that looks bloody close. So all I have to do is buy the Spur and get drunk and stoned in Eire for a year and I can import it.

When did a years vacation in the Emerald Isle look so attractive???

David Towers
Frequent User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 01:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Buy it here, register it in your name and, out of the goodness of my heart, I will look after her for you and keep her used so she doesn't deteriorate :-)

What a kind chap I am, thank me later...

Grand Master

Post Number: 722
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 01:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Must check that out David but I am pretty sure by owning it overseas, I have to be overseas and using it on the road. But in any case do you have a garage to store it in?

David Towers
Frequent User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 02:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a garage, it is big enough for mine and a Mazda MX5 and a load of tools and stuff. So, probably not a lot of use to you really but I guess I could alternate between your RR and my Bentley so there would only be one car in the garage at a time!

Alternatively, I could get on with getting the Mazda back on the road then I could probably (possibly) get two SZ sized cars in there.

Kevin Deasy
New User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 03:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why not get it shipped to Russia & store it there in the country where you know how the law works & take it over to OZ in a yeas or so.
On the rust issue,I don't believe it will have any rust at all as the NCT will not pass it if has any rust & as far as I remember it was taken into Ireland at 7 or 8 years old,Did you get the shots of the Irish NCT I sent? If so you can see what it has to go through to pass the test,if it passed it is a good car
Kevin

Grand Master

Post Number: 723
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 04:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good question Kevin. However, the way the law works in Russia is there is no law. Unless, you are Putin of course or you have 60 billion USD in a Swiss numbered account. Given that you can't travel 30 kilometers without going through a police road block protected by many Kalashnikov's and that such a gem would warrant huge bribes and that I am not a member of Vor e Mir the larger of the 2000 mafia families operating in Russian Federation it would be madness to take a Spur to a city where the winter temperature is minus 44C.

On top of that having a car like that would invite attention from many poor but horrifically violent lesser criminals. in Russia you blend in with the poor or you vanish without trace. Any notion that RF is some form of a democracy is dispelled within minutes of arrival as many western chappys have gathered when they arrived to meet their young Russian bride. Trust me I would be safer in bloody Mexico with a Spur.

However, this Irish angle needs further thought given the price asked!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a mate in Moscow who teaches English and he says everything is solved with bribes. He keeps to the university campus and holidays in Greece once in a while. Weird to hear him speak Russian lingo.
Its not a safe place.

I have noticed that Ireland has a few RRs and Bents but of course the rust like the UK cars is a concern. The Irish mot is based on the UK one.

I see loads of photos of Anna from Russia looking for someone to love ( wallet and UK passport ). However a mate has a mail order Swedish wife who speaks perfect English with the odd interesting Swedish word thrown in. She has money of her own plus nurses wages. Age wise they look right. Its when I see an old man with a woman 30 years younger I get suspicious.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 698
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 09:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert I don't get suspicious I get jealous.

Richard.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2017 - 10:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am past all that nonsense.