MIGs and SUKOI Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » MIGs and SUKOI « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 682
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 03:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In August when I return to the ghost of the Soviet Union I will be checking out a few things. Unlike 1999 and 2000 I don't expect to see Mig gauges peddled on the street as things change over time even in Pyongyang.

However, I will be making a beeline for certain er places where I may be able to get my MIt's on a silenced pistol gripped Klashnikov, or perhaps even an underwater Klashnikov which would be damn good for hunting endanged species.

However, what I really want is a 1980s Mig engine just like the one that naughtily flew tad too fast giving away secrets in the Middle east years ago.

The exhaust on these beasties is massive. I'd like cement down one of these in my front yard and crank it up when the music at one of my drinking sessions gets loud enough for my pet racing Goanna to bite its own head off.

The flames may encrouch the council land next door but the council understands me.

Now do ant of you chaps have an old RR jet engine you play with. I like the roar of jet engine because its good for the kiddies and its keeps the insects down.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 05:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Vlad as it happens I used to be custodian of a fleet of Rolls-Royce Avons that were a mish mash of 1534 and 1535 series. These then got upgraded to the current Avon 200 models.
Where I work now we have the world's largest fleet of Avon 200s and we also have an RB211.

I dont play with engines anymore as I have changed disciplines altogether.

If you need any info on the Avons - fire away.......

Mark Luft
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 06:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad, ask the Gods of Ebay and ye shall receive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/English-Electric-Canberra-WK128-RAF-Aircraft-Rolls-Royce-Avon-Mk1-Jet-Engine-/131452112034?hash=item1e9b280ca2:g:2k8AAOSweWVXfnWk

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 996
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 06:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

I have the best little hidden viewing spot at Sydney airport.

The RB211's still bring a tear to my eye as to how beautiful they sound.

The new Trent is nice, but way to quiet.

Omar,
That's an amazing story.
Do these Avons get used in the petroleum industry, or are they still attached to aircraft?

I'm looking for a trailerable Merlin that makes plenty of sound for me

This would make a great photo being towed behind my Shadow.

Anyone know where I can obtain a Merlin????

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 997
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 06:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

I'd be up for a Mig Mach gauge or fighter helmet mate.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2396
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 07:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

First, I presume you are dreaming rather than serious!!!

Given the number of recent Spitfire/Hurricane/Mosquito aircraft restorations being completed in the UK, Mustang P51 restorations in the USA plus the recent engine fire on the Battle of Britain Flight Lancaster, I suspect there is an ongoing strong demand for Merlins from the restoration sector.

The best source for a Merlin may be a 1950's/1960's/1970's racing speed boat buried in someone's shed. As a teenager, the annual speed boat races on the Manning River at Taree usually included a Merlin-engined boat or two, I still remember one particular boat named "Jo Blo[w?]", the noise level from the Merlin was excruciating but always music to the ears. My neighbour in Old Bar knows this boat well as it also competed in races at Silverwater in Sydney, my neighbour was also competing at the same time [in a different class] with his boat powered by a GM V8 modified by himself.

Engines come up for sale occasionally as shown on the following link:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17257/lot/121A/

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 16:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
Yes indeed the Rolls-Royce Avons are still being used in the oil and gas industry to drive compressors and/or generators both onshore and offshore.

Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A very beautiful turbine mate.

I was lucky enough to have a good look in and out of one at a local TAFE a few years ago.

An amazing amount of power from a very compact machine.

They would be a sight to behold working in that industry mate.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 01:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like those small gas turbine APUs they use for air liners. Some are field based portable units on wheels.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 08:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's what I would like to do with a Merlin Robert.

David,
You mentioned that I am dreaming rather than being serious.
I look at it as being serious, that will probably just stay a dream.
Your right though, these things are very rare these days.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 686
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 08:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick I will get Sasha to locate one of each in best possible condition. I saw many many gauges for sale last time I was there,poor bastards just sitting on a footpath/sidewalk selling anything they could to feed their family as the currency had collapsed.

Er Patrick the helmet ah you are not going to use it to get shot out of a cannon are you?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 08:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

I saw the same peddlers in Bulgaria, and I still wear the beautiful black fur hat in my Chev when it is cold.

They certainly had some amazing items, and most I couldn't bring home as they would get taken from me at customs.

The helmets at the time were hideously expensive, but were quite amazing with everything still as new, front pull down screens, comms, the lot.
Probably $20k to supply new to the airforce.

I never saw a Mach gauge though.

Vlad,
I'm always up for something new.
If there was a beer(s) on offer at the end, the canon isn't out of the question.
I'm only small, so should be ok