Our Dogs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Our Dogs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 978
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 04:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is a good place to put the dog discussions.

I started off having one rescue dog. Then the wife convinced me that she needed a friend for company so I got her another rescue dog. Then my daughter wanted an indoor dog to cuddle - so we got a lovely dog from the shelter -a small handbag size dog who after 3 days made us realise why he was in the shelter. The most ill mannered ungrateful foul tempered aggressive dog you will ever meet. My little daughter was too scared to have him in the house. Naturally he had been abused before. So i put him outside with the other 2 dogs and in 2 years they have turned him around into the most loveable thing ever. He still however growls at any human below 4 foot tall.
Then 3 months ago a friend begged me to take his puppy away now that it had grown into a full size clumsy dog. The most beautiful husky ever (yeah in Dubai!!!) The husky eats all my trees, my grass, my electrical conduits and you name it. I have lost hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. I also needed to take the Continental R to have the rear bumper polished where she had scratched the paintwork with her nails.
4 dogs each with their own little story - but they are as happy as Kelly's and John's dogs because all dogs respond to human engagement in equal proportions.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 252
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 06:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Omar
Well done for taking in and caring for the shelter dogs!
When I was on holiday in Cyprus I found a large dog wandering all over the road in a nature reserve (Probably dumped) , so I found a peice of rope and made a crude lead , took it back and gave it a drink , this dog was a friend for life , it would not let me out of it's sight!,but what to do?? I couldn't keep it I was on holiday I did cosider flying it home but then what to to while we're at work?
So with heavy heart I had to take it to the shelter , god that broke my heart I was blubbring like a good 'un , they had to drag the dog away from me both of us crying(oh and charge £100 for innoculations lol).
I went back o few days later and they said it had been rescued , I just hope it was by someone a kind has you Omar.
Happy new year
Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 979
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 08:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am the first to confess that I am a softie with animals. Although Ross I think a lot of us on this forum are like that.
Dubai is home to lots of people and they eventually leave to go back to their countries. Often they will try to find homes for their animals and sometimes they will take the with them. I have homed a 30 year old tortoise, a 20 year old turtle and I also have a parrot and a goldfish....
The zoo is also complete because I have three little monkeys (although most families call these types of monkeys "our children")

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 829
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great stories guys.
Yep
I think we are all on the same page here regarding loving our dogs.
I am currently at my eldest sisters house On the central coast of New South Wales getting ready for New Year's Eve.
I was confronted with this while reading your posts regarding dogs.

This is Molly

David Towers
Frequent User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 11:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Two dogs here, they own me and allow me to be their servant/slave/cuddler etc. They even allow me to drive them around in the Bentley which they own... well, they must do as they both insist on sitting in the back in splendour with their heads hanging out of the windows. Chester (who is a fat Basset thing... nearly) even barks at other dogs as they are being walked as if to call them 'Plebs!' as he is chauffeured about. He was actually bought which goes against the grain somewhat as there are thousands of dogs in shelters that need homes whereas cute, fat puppies (which he was) will always get a home. However, the shelter we had supported with a monthly cash payment for many years refused to let us have a dog! Apparently, having children and cats and another dog made us bad potential 'owners'.

They have never received another penny from me since. I now pay to support a dog in a Dogs trust kennel that can never be re-homed due to behavioural problems.

Phoebe who is my baby lab (now 9 years old) was rescued at 4 months old by myself and some others from a, frankly, disturbing home life where she was kept in a locked windowless shed 24/7 in her own filth etc. She was utterly terrified of people and even now, 9 years later, she takes quite a while to let people new to her get close. She is also the sickliest dog I have ever known and over the years she has cost a fortune at the vets.. I am talking Bentley ownership levels of fortunes here as well! She currently costs £140 per month in drugs to keep her going along happily. I begrudge not a penny of it!

Chester however is a fat, useless slob who, as dogs go is neither decorative nor useful. He eats everything in sight, follows his nose to an alarming extent, comes when called... eventually, maybe, and complains and grumbles constantly. He is also the most loving, needy dog I have ever known (he is currently beside me with his head on my left forearm so I can't type properly... this is usual!) and has to be touching me somewhere when we are at home. I have not visited the bathroom aloe in decades.., when out however, he wants nothing to do with me, just wanders along sniffing and searching for other dogs to annoy/bonk/play with.

I utterly adore them both and while I now find walking a problem, still take them out three times a day one of which is usually to the park so they can run around (Chester) or play with their ball (Phoebe - utterly tennis ball obsessed) and I still stop and talk to every other dog and would have more, many more f I could.

David Towers
Frequent User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 11:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cor blimey, what am I doing wrong when trying to get pictures on here!

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 12:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dogs and Royces/Bentleys go together by nature. Have a look at the RROCA NSW website to see what I mean. In particular, have a look at http://www.nsw.rroc.org.au/the-back-page
Regards,
Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 832
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 16:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great read David.
You're a lucky guy and a good story teller.
Love the part about barking at the plebs on the sidewalk.

Brian,
That is a fantastic pic.

Lucky pup to have pride of place in the Vice Regal Phantom V

Let's not forget the particularly beutiful young lady of which I am sure you are as proud as punch.

Brian Crump
Prolific User

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 16:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

But did you check out the tribe sitting in the back of the PII?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 834
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 16:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Brian,
Love that pic.

For those who haven't seen it here it is.
The most pampered pooches on the planet.

Brian Crump
Prolific User

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 18:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh Dear! There's one missing. Maybe he's driving? Like to see him work out his four legs when he does a double declutch ....
Regards,
Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 836
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 19:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Awesome family members Brian.

And they love you for it.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 - 03:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would love a dog my last one got adopted by a game keeper when I became ill. I like small dogs, like a cross between Jack Russel and a Poodle.

I have a cat that turns up every day for a fuss and a feed. Also a fox and a robin.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 837
Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 - 08:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's quite a menagerie there Robert

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 13:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 13:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Where are his/her booties Ross?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 06:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Baby sat a 2 year old human today a boy called Harry. Great fun. Just as Harry got tired and cranky mum turned up to rescue me. Almost as good as a dog. Harry hadn't seen Thomas the tank engine DVDs. Harry was rapt. I burnt a copy for mum to take home.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great post Robert,
My grand daughter is 2 and I know all about tired & cranky.

I still have some Thomas DVD's from when her dad, (my son) was young.
I might give them a go.

We showed her the Carol Burnett DVD of Annie a few weeks ago, and wow, she loves it.

So when is Harry coming back for another play date Bob?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 23:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not sure but I have found a Thomas the tank engine plastic model in my attic.

My grandson's daughter Liah 18 months old is like a small ball of energy. Then she falls asleep. As soon as the front door goes Liah wakes up and spends all evening jumping on my grandson and horse rides around their flat.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Thursday, 09 March, 2017 - 06:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yep,
Sounds about normal Bob.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 12:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm quite sadly about to say goodbye to my 3 y/o grandson tomorrow morning. Lynn is going to drive back with Niki as far as Richmond, VA then fly back Sunday afternoon. They'll depart around 6AM and I will have to man up and be lonely until she arrives at the airport. We've had them for 3 weeks and it's been fun but they miss their Daddy and for his part, he misses them. Anyway, we're in a part of the country with a fair bit of wild life. Some less wild than others. For example, today these Sandhill cranes appeared in the yard (and they're too dumb to be alive because they're wild but will fearlessly take food out of your hand, but they somehow manage to thrive). Anyway, young Caleb was thrilled about the whole thing . . .
+++ jpeg +++ 25303 +++ Caleb and half a dozen Sandhill
cranes +++
- These seriously dumb birds winter in central FL and are totally fearless around people

We also have rather tame horses. The kind that love nothing more than an apple and a good head scratch . . .
Caleb meets a horse
- Have you got an apple today? Please scratch my head!

However, like those of you who have mentioned them, dogs are far and away our favorite critters (grandchildren excepted). And like Robert Noel, my special favorite is my little Jack Russel bitch, Maggie. Interestingly, Maggie has a rather unique relationship with Peabody (the little orange fish sitting on the coral - don't laugh, they're pals). For my part, rather tired of her constantly standing on her hind legs peering at him in the tank, we finally positioned a chair where she may comfortably sit and interact with him. And for his part, he rather bravely (in my opinion) frequently comes down to the sand - nose to nose with her - where they stare at each other. He doesn't do it with me (who feeds the tank) or anyone else but Maggie. What they see in each other is beyond me but there you have it.
Maggie and Peabody
- Maggie and Peabody share a strange form of companionship

Brian Crump
Prolific User

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 12:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Olga and her Spirit

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 13:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Talking of cranes, we heard a knock on our front door one day. I answered it to find myself face to face with a crane. A really strange but delightful experience. I closed the door, and got my camera. The crane had retreated slightly when I took this pic.

crane

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 14:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Same kind of bird, what's called a Sandhill crane. Must be something in my yard they like because a half dozen of them have been hanging around all day poking their beaks deep into the ground. Usually we see a pair, then a few months later a fledgling is amongst them. These grow rapidly and in a matter of another month is nearly indistinguishable from the parent. Occasionally they have two. They get run over by cars because they wander into traffic. And as Geoff can attest, they come knocking on doors, which is pretty amazing considering they;re as wild as our black bears and deer, which never come that close to humans.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 15:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I too like an apple and a good head scratch!

Brian
Every time I open this thread I actually laugh out loud and Leanne asks "are you looking at Brian's dogs again?"

Yes is the reply
This is the pic

But what really gets me LOL is this

Plus the fact that one is missing and may be driving!!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 17:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

Is the dog on the far right a Hungarian Viszla?

We had a Viszla as a family dog for many years - wonderful dogs who only need to be loved and be part of the family. Especially great for children due to their gentle, affectionate and loyal nature.

Brian Crump
Prolific User

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 19:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1. The little face peering over the top of the seat is Lilly.
2. Left to right;
Beatrice, Olga, Shadowland, Quilpie, Koko, Lilly and Arthur Viszla.
Sadly Arthur has now passed on having almost reached his 18th birthday.
Regards,
Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 19:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian.
He looked like a magnificent boy mate.

Wish I had met him.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 20:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

Sorry to hear of Arthur's passing - we also lost part of our family when Ace Gore went to Viszla heaven after a full and happy life where he gave everything and more to his child companions.

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 223
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That pack of Brian's puts me in mind of an old television show titled All Thing Great and Small (after a delightful book series). Based on the life of country vets and where one of the main characters decried small animal practice saying pets were a waste of veterinary time - yet self same character who had a similar looking pack of dogs as Brian. Anyway, when he'd load them in the back of his car and set out, the comparison to those in the back of Brian's car was most striking.

As for us, we've mostly been a one dog at a time family with the odd cat as well. And although at present we find ourselves cat-less, said 'problem' has a long-run tendency to resolve itself. Anyway, while dog names vary, our cats are invariably named Charlie (regardless of gender).

Meanwhile, yesterday was 39 years of marriage for Lynn and I and during the drive home after dinner out on the town we reflected on the many pets that have shared our lives. Last thing, I agree with Patrick about Arthur. He looked regal and perfectly at home in a Rolls-Royce. I'm sure Brian misses him.}

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 21:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Congratulations to you and your lovely wife on 39 years John.

All the best to both of you mate.

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, 11 March, 2017 - 23:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like to joke how this is largely a consequence of Newton's 1st law (inertia). And while there's a grain of truth to that, the real secret to a long and loving marriage is pretty simple - love. I also joke how I used up my life's quota of good luck when I met her, but taking her off the market by getting her to say yes to marrying me was a youthful demonstration of the good sense that has ultimately come to define our life together. Or put another way, I was lucky to meet her, but had to be good to keep her. As proof, witness my purchase of an old Rolls-Royce, which has promptly been stored because of my back injury. This, with nary a complaint or so much as a glance askance at my spending money on what amounts to little more than yet another toy for John. Meanwhile, I have friends whom, if they spend $10k on themselves must be OK with the fact their partner will promptly go out to spend $10k on herself . . . to keep things 'balanced' (said behavior being one I find strange beyond belief).

Meanwhile, since we're sharing family photos, this one is of CIII, or Charlie the 3rd hanging out with his flock of wild turkeys. They hang around our home and he, quite strangely joined and moved amongst them as they wandered the yard. For their part, they in turn, didn't seem to mind him accompanying them on their rounds. Oh, and I said 'he' but CIII was a her in point of fact (all of our Charlies are 'he' to me, which Lynn finds hilarious). Unfortunately, CIII went missing about the time coyotes moved into the neighborhood a few months back. Sadly, they've played havoc on the turkey population as well but are far too smart and wily to be eliminated so we must accommodate to the new neighbors as best we can. This now means Maggie on a leash when we take her out because if she slips into the woods, which she loves to do, and while I've no doubt she'd give a account of herself, if they corner her ultimately she'd be nothing but a nice little snack. Lots of people up in arms about the coyotes around here. Fat lot of good it will do them.
C3 and the turkeys
- Charlie and the turkeys

Anyway, to bring this back to dogs, like a good woman, if you love dogs unconditionally, they'll return it in spades along with loyalty and friendship to boot. Quite a bit like a good marriage, eh?
--
John . . . may I always be the man my dog thinks I am.