Omega Seamaster 2850SC 1956 Melbourne... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Omega Seamaster 2850SC 1956 Melbourne Olympics Edition « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 965
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 03:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A friend of mine has a rare Omega Semaster 2850SC with the 1956 Olympic crest on the dial and case that he wants to sell. As it is linked to Australia, I though I would ask my learned friends from down under to give me an idea of what its worth. I will try to attach some images soon.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 966
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 03:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 04:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

a similar watch was sold at auction in 2014 and made 4.375 US Dollars.
More information can be found in this link.
http://www.archivedauctions.com/s/962069/omega-ref-2850-sc/

Benoit

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 968
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 04:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Benoit.
I think my friend was expecting more than that, even though his doesn't have the box.
I will just have to tell him to set his sights lower.
Thanks again.
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 801
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 07:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This biggest problem here Omar is that it is a smaller omega case.
34mm is one of their mid size cases and almost a boys watch.

Smaller watches are not so popular, but this type of watch is more of a collectors item, and not so much a daily wearer.
The small case size will limit its saleability.
The missing box and paperwork is particularly bad, and will severely de value the watch due to not being able to confirm its provenance.
Like cars, commemorative watches need to be complete and original for best value. Of course condition and wear (mileage) will also contribute to its value. Being 18k (0.750) gold, it is particularly soft and if the watch was worn a lot, will have rear case back detail missing or not sharp.

The strap & buckle are also very important to this watch.
It should also be stamped 0.750 on this watch and not be plated.

I have paid almost as much for an Omega gold buckle and strap as I did for the watch head it matched.

I have also paid over $1500AUD for an original Omega box to suit a watch I was restoring.

Here are some interesting links to this watch and it's rarer model brothers.
As can be read, there are variations to dial colours etc that effect the watches rarity.

https://www.deployant.com/omega-seamaster-xvi-olympic-watch/

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/vintage-seamaster-xvi-olympic-edition-596697.html

Here are some links of a 1956 watch, box and paperwork.
* note the paperwork does not have any sell date, or any matching number to the watch it's self and the blank serial number field is also of concern, as this means it could be from any older Omega.
That blank field should have hand writing by the selling dealer that indicates the actual watch sold serial number.
The serial number is provided by the manufacturer on the swing tags provided with the watch.
The heavy stamped number on the paperwork is a document number. The 14725842 on the swing tag number is the serial number, and it would be interesting to see if it matches the watch when the back is removed.
The 2 tags have matching model numbers (OT 2850)
This shows a OT2850 model.
I can't find any reference to any OT 2850AP model, but I am sure it may point to your friends dial model.
http://watchvalues.net/omega-ot-2850/

http://www.retrovintagewatch.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30128

The serial or case number number will be inside the case back on his model watch, or maybe stamped on the case between the lugs similar to a Rolex, but I am not sure when Omega started this procedure of serial number stamping.

Sorry to provide a lengthy post here.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 975
Posted on Monday, 26 December, 2016 - 05:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
Wow you really know your watches mate!!
Thanks for the info which i shall pass on.
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 817
Posted on Monday, 26 December, 2016 - 09:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar,

I have been trading watches since primary school, and buying and selling watches since high school.

I wear all my watches, and I would have made an offer in this one if it was a larger watch.
Even though it's not a larger case, I would have made an offer if it was boxed with papers.

Mate,
It can be as tough as identifying cars and their matching numbers and what their build consisted of, with watches.

Like cars, it is as interesting.
Just have to watch out for the sharks who put things together using old, new reconditioned and re painted (dials) parts and then passed off as being original.

Your friends watch looks awesome mate.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 23:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

The 34mm is a bit on the small side, but the two I've been wearing recently are 36mm. One's a Doxa w/o date complication because I can just pick it up, set it an go.The other is a 36mm Felica which I wear because it is the clumsiest most ill proportioned watch ever made.

Personally, I always prefer watches, cars, etc that aren't investment grade because you take them out more often and you don't have to be paranoid about scratches.

Whatever he ends up doing, it's a good looking piece.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 977
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 04:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Ross,
You are right about enjoying your watches.
I am not fussed about the value of anything as long as i get pleasure from it. so I wear my best watches (all the time) and drive my best cars all the time. Like you I also use my Rolls-Royces and Bentleys as work horses and jewellery in combination.
You only live once - enjoy every minute of it.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 12:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hear Hear.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 835
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 19:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fully agree gents.
My favourite piece is an old Seiko automatic divers watch.

As Omar and Ross rightly say.
If you like it, buy it, wear it, use it regardless of the brand, make or heritage.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2017 - 04:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm fortunate to have never been bitten by the watch-collecting bug but know a few guys that take it very seriously, indeed. Me? Like Patrick, I favor the Seiko automatic diver's watch (and have worn one for more than 40 years since my grandmother gave me my first upon entering high school). They last me about 10-15 years when I buy another in lieu of sending it in for repair, cleaning, and refurbishing. Lately, however, I have been acting like a Millennial because I've been depending on my iPhone, instead (sacré bleu, I know). Speaking of my grandmother, she also gave me a gold Cross pen, which I still carry (and recently sent to Cross for refurbishing).

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 982
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2017 - 04:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh John..... Let us not get started on pens... Fountain pens are addictive......

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2017 - 08:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I was finishing primary school in the late 1950's, we made the transition from the old pen, nib and inkwell to fountain pens. I never really mastered the art of writing with basic Copperplate script let alone the more advanced styles.

Big mistake as my already atrocious writing became even worse with the fountain pen. The "Bic" biro pen had also been released in Australia and my 1960 6th class teacher in desperation allowed me to try using a biro pen with moderate success - my writing improved but still remained hard to read. Somewhere in storage is my 1962 high school year 2 essay book which contains the classic entry by my year English teacher "Marvellous, only 3 words I couldn't read. Onward ever onward".

The advent of computers and word processing software was my saviour and I avoid handwriting even now.......................

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 867
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2017 - 19:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
Those Seikos are almost bullet proof.

A real classic watch.

Omar,
We have found another one of your vices. NICE!!!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 985
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2017 - 19:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

yeah Patrick..... lucky nobody has started talking about pretty women yet.........

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 870
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2017 - 20:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh dear,
Here we go!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 874
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2017 - 22:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

What about pretty women AND Rolls Royce?

Example 1.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2017 - 22:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, this thread is improving ! Cheering, as I have now been advised to rest for 10 days having contracted Bronchitis . Our busiest time of the year for the business. Keep them coming
Mark

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 986
Posted on Thursday, 05 January, 2017 - 04:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

oh dear......
weakness is every man's vice.....
as Mark says............. keep em coming....

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 880
Posted on Thursday, 05 January, 2017 - 13:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe a beautiful brunette will make your recuperation better Mark?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 881
Posted on Thursday, 05 January, 2017 - 13:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Shopping for parts maybe?

This wrecker may be able to assist with your needs?

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 484
Posted on Thursday, 05 January, 2017 - 15:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick...
Does your wife know what you do with your spare time?

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, 05 January, 2017 - 15:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I never got one of those when I purchased my car ;)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 883
Posted on Thursday, 05 January, 2017 - 16:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Christian.
She always says it's ok to go window shopping, as long as I come home to eat

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 914
Posted on Friday, 20 January, 2017 - 12:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Here is something I have from 1956.
An unopened commemorative coke bottle complete with a casting date of "56" in the base.

Might be worth as much as the watch??

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 999
Posted on Friday, 20 January, 2017 - 14:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

wow........... what a survivor... and in such good shape too!!!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 916
Posted on Friday, 20 January, 2017 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like me it's a bit knocked around but doing ok