Shannons Auctions Melbourne Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Shannons Auctions Melbourne « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 670
Posted on Friday, 18 November, 2016 - 06:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This seems like a nice 61 Cloud II
Wonder why no interior shots.
Estimate seems way cheap.
https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2016-shannons-melbourne-summer-classic-auction/D095R2CCDT060B2V/

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Friday, 18 November, 2016 - 08:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The auction sometimes give low estimates to attract the punters. It will make what it makes under the hammer.

The colour is nice, Garnet I believe

The misaligned bumpers need sorting and the words removed from the sides.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 237
Posted on Saturday, 19 November, 2016 - 02:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
For £12000 I'll buy it and ship it back!
Looks stunning
Hope somebody finds out what it goes for
Mike

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 420
Posted on Saturday, 19 November, 2016 - 14:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Something fishy here. The combination of the very low price and the absence of any engine or interior photos makes one wonder what "the rest of the story" is!!

BEAUTIFUL COLOR, yes, but.....

gary webb
New User
Username: webbgw

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 19 November, 2016 - 18:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi guys
i am having trouble understanding the negativity for hong kong cars
yes a lot are not driven by owners but there is a law in that country cars cannot idle for no longer than 3 minutes ,fines are very high
but now cars can be doubled rego HK AND CHINA so now later cars have higher ks
gary

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, 19 November, 2016 - 19:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gary
You've lost me ,this car is in Aus?
Mike

gary webb
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 19 November, 2016 - 19:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi mike
no i understand that this car is in aus
but a lot of other cars from hong kong are getting a bad rap
gary

gary webb
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, 19 November, 2016 - 20:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

the part i also cant understand more cars on road in aus is great for the marks and also more people can enjoy these cars too
gary

Alan Ford
Frequent User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, 19 November, 2016 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would love to own one of those. Same colour too or dual colour scheme. I dont think I would get enough for the Bentley though.. It's nice to dream.....

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Sunday, 20 November, 2016 - 08:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gary,

The problems with Hong Kong delivered vehicles are easily understood if you have ever visited HK.

The majority of HK prestige cars prior to the departure of the British when their lease expired were chauffeur-driven rather than owner-driven. Consequently, when the owners were attending a function, the drivers would wait in the car with the air-con on and the engine running for hours at a time. Consequently the cars had low mileage but very high engine wear.

The second problem was the hot, humid and wet HK climate together with the proximity to the South China Sea meant salt air corrosion was ever-present and cheap R-R cars subsequently imported into Australia quickly gained a reputation for being "rust buckets"; often more so than UK-delivered cars subsequently purchased in the UK and imported into Australia by their new owners.

Thirdly, given the wealth of the owners of prestige cars in HK, paying any fine would be highly unlikely to change the behaviour of their drivers especially if the vehicles could be parked off-street whilst waiting and were not accessible to the law enforcement authorities.

Whilst I was the Technical Officer for the RROCA NSW Branch, I had the unhappy task of advising several new owners of cheap Shadows imported from HK by opportunistic resellers that their cars were "rust bucket money pits" that, in many cases, were only suitable for wrecking for spare parts.

gary webb
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, 20 November, 2016 - 10:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi david
yes i have been to hong kong many times i am and have bought rr and bentleys in up to 1988 and after that i break them up for parts
so far rust and mechanical problems are not a problem so i have cars 1980 to 2004 which i am breaking
i only keep cars pre 88 complete if they are top condition yes i have been with these cars since i was 16 i am now 66 i am qualified A grade mechanic and also qualified auto teacher with diplomia in mechanical engineering at tafe
so again these cars are getting a bad rap
biggest problem i get is fuel pumps from under cover storage..
david the biggest rust buckets are cars taken to HK from UK not new and are terrible
so rego tells me were originally first rego and i avoid UK cars unless for breaking up
would like to get to know you better
ps shadows a lot of ex UK to HK
gary
again ps i just sold 2 heads from 1996 bentley and the internal of engine was like new

gary webb
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, 20 November, 2016 - 10:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi david
please look
at my facebook gary webb and look at my qualifications
and my car site british prestige cars parts again on facebook
regards gary

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 678
Posted on Sunday, 20 November, 2016 - 16:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents
I will keep us updated on this car.
The actual auction has a pretty good roll up this month, a few cars in it I would like.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 679
Posted on Sunday, 20 November, 2016 - 16:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love Roberts humour.

Yes Robert
Those letters look pretty tough to remove.

I guess a guy named Shannon used to own this

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, 21 November, 2016 - 11:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

Here is a link to the full auction.
Some interesting lots that's for sure.

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2016-shannons-melbourne-summer-classic-auction/

In regards to the Silver Cloud II. Here is the report from the auction house.
I have also emailed asking for interior & under bonnet shots.

application/pdf
lot16 Silver Cloud II.pdf (295.3 k)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 733
Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2016 - 07:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

There are more images now loaded on the Shannons site re the Cloud II

Looks very nice indeed.
https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2016-shannons-melbourne-summer-classic-auction/D095R2CCDT060B2V/

Updated description as well.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 744
Posted on Tuesday, 06 December, 2016 - 13:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

Shannons Auction is all done.
https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2016-shannons-melbourne-summer-classic-auction/

The SCII went for $39,500.
A real bargain I think.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 445
Posted on Tuesday, 06 December, 2016 - 15:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What was the buyer's premium? When added in, yes, still a reasonable price, it seems...depending...on things like quality of the paint and/or presence of undisclosed defects...it was an auction after all and thus limited ability to inspect and even more limited incentive to disclose. Just the same, had I been in Australia, I would have bid.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 745
Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2016 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christian,
Yes, if I was after a Cloud, I would have bid on this as well.

I've been to a number of Shannons auctions, and they are crammed in next to each other with military precision. The last one I went to inspect cars with a mate, there was not 20mm between the cars, some were less. You could not even see the sides of the cars in any way. The ones that were against the walls, well all you could see was their nose, forget looking inside at all.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2344
Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2016 - 08:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Obviously there is method in their "madness"......

I well remember my time in the late 1980's as NSW State Manager for a major parking station company and our practice for maximising the number of cars that could be "stack parked" in valet parking facilities. Car "shuffling" to get cars buried in the stack was an ever-present problem due to vehicle damage by the car park staff. A good car park "jockey" was hard to find and difficult to keep as other parking companies would poach your best staff for this reason.

I would not be surprised if Shannons used known good car park employees on a casual after-work basis for setting up their auction displays.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 746
Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2016 - 08:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just wish I had taken a photo of the gaps David, quite amazing.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 748
Posted on Wednesday, 07 December, 2016 - 10:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update to costs.

My workmate has just bought this at the same auction that had the SCII.
https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2016-shannons-melbourne-summer-classic-auction/E61B19Q8XO023EFL/

The buyers premium is a flat $500.

The seller however cops:
$1500 listing fee (may cover multiple auctions)
Plus an 11% of the sale price fee.

Good for the buyer, not so good for the seller.

Thus the SCII cost the buyer $40k

Seller took home $33,655.00

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Thursday, 08 December, 2016 - 06:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

$40k sounds about right.

The 12k catalogue price was a come on boys get yer wallets out commonn auction practice.