My Last or Latest Project Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » My Last or Latest Project « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Ford
Frequent User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 23:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A small taster of my last project.

Torana A9X lookalike.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 12:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys, yes sorry I posted in the wrong section. Somehow I got confused, I did realise my mistake but I dont think I can now remove it? If a mod is here perhaps you could either move it for me or delete. I dont mind either way. ty.

The Moderator always obliges these requests - looking forward to some very interesting submissions on this topic.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 631
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 19:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Tell us about your Torrie!
Looks great, fantastic colour.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 20:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick, the colour is PPG Orange tinter....over that was prismatec (sparkles) and then a few coats of clear. The car a Torana Sunbird body was specifically chosen because it had lived a very quiet and accident free life. We put a 10 bolt salisbury diff in it and a tricked up Trimatic Auto
A 308 V8 was taken out to 355. Add the usual fairly wild cam, VYSS seats, disc brakes all round steering parts replaced to the A9X type and then tarted it all up to be an A9X lookalike. I think it might have been Summernats 22? where I took out a smaller prize, best street driven. Needless to say it went hard and I had it for a few good years. The work was not all mine but I added to it to make it a lil bit special. I did a whole lot of touring with Torana guys and had a ton of fun with it.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 633
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 20:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,
Great story mate.
I bet the original poor little brother to the Torana, the Sunbird with Starfire 4, would never had imagined he would end up a screaming V8 engined A9X look alike.

You sure put in a huge effort with this car.
Where is she now?

Now you can do some terrific touring with the Rollls Royce Owners Club if you join.
You will sure have a new journey of fun here mate.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 21:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, yes I am very much looking forward to touring with the RROC or Bentley Club, possibly both.
The Torana was sold to a guy in Canberra about 5yrs ago now. Last I saw of it he was taking it to some of the local car shows. He made up a new centre console for the car and I must say he did a fantastic job on it so I know the car went to a good home.