New car Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » New car « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, 20 October, 2016 - 10:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had a search running on CraigsList for any car under $500 usd and within 100 miles of my house.

You can only imagine the class of vehicle that usually surfaces.

Then last Saturday this one showed up on the search. I drove down to look at it and it had 100k on the clock, was totally rust free, was painted BRG, and had wire wheels. I bought it.

It needs a harmonic balancer and all the coolant hoses replaced but runs a treat.

This will be the best and worst winter beater ever.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 620
Posted on Thursday, 20 October, 2016 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Showoff! Did you get the mag yet??

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, 20 October, 2016 - 10:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did get the magazine, THANKS. Not only was the article on the XP Falcon great, the advertisements for the cars for sale were even better.

There were so many cars we NEVER see here in the states for short money. I am actually tempted to get something grey market.

Also, I sent an e-mail to you thanking you but maybe it didn't happen. Australia is on the other side of the world so the e-mail might have run out of electrons on it's way down.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 597
Posted on Saturday, 22 October, 2016 - 08:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great buy Ross.
How's the interior etc?
I've always liked that XJ body shape.
I used to look after one for a mate many years ago.
Great car to drive.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 12:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Here is a little video montage of the restoration

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 13:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,
What can I say?

The video even though short, shows the true fussiness of how you go about things, and the quality you demand.

Is the stick any particular type of wood so not to interfere with the wood used during its OEM construction?

Great stuff mate.
I almost didn't recognise it was the same vehicle you showed us at the time of purchase a few weeks ago.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 13:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I do tend to set a pretty high bar for myself with regards to quality.

I certainly spent a lot of time recovering the center console. Researching the wood originally used, learning how to attach it to the metal substrate and carefully lacquering it.

It would have been a LOT easier to just buy some 3M burl vinyl from ebay for $4 and stick it on. Maybe next time.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 656
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 14:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know your a perfectionist mate.

Console looks great.

Alan Ford
Frequent User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 15:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross.
What a magnificent find at that price. I have been thinking of a donor car myself but it would need to be cheap so I don't hold out much hope of finding one.
Your console looks great, top job mate.

Grand Master

Post Number: 637
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 15:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah yes Ross, a truly Russian repair. Fantastic finish on the paint in a difficult area.

Perhaps you need to raise the bar though and Google fur TV my television needs fixing to increase the high perfection of your restoration skills.

Grand Master

Post Number: 638
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2016 - 15:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry that's fur TV eds super fix it

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, 15 November, 2016 - 15:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

Some really good tips in that video.
I'll be sure to apply those next time I work on the jag.