Where is Vladimir? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Where is Vladimir? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I shan't go into details regarding why I'm asking other than I think he's being electronically impersonated.

I'm posting this here so that he, and potentially others, might be aware that they could be getting some unexpected communications purporting to be from him.

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's weird?

I PM him twice (as he was visiting a parts dealer near my house) and have not heard back form him.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2137
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 18:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I suspect Vladimir may have started a new work contract with a mine which means he is either living on-site or working FIFO [Fly In/Fly Out] and may not have time to access the WWW.

An absence of this type has happened before.

I had a PM from Vladimir several days ago in response to a question I sent to him earlier and the content was such it could only have been written by Vladimir and not an impersonator.

Kelly Opfar
Frequent User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 19:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was in contact with Vladimir a couple of days ago as well. Then I received this from his email account today:

Good to hear from you. I'm sorry to bother you with this but it is a bad time for me . I had to make a sudden trip to Manila Philippines due to some urgent matters to help my sick sister, she was diagnosed with (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia) a type of Blood Cancer and had been undergoing treatment lately. The news of her illness arrived to me as an emergency.

The hospital management is demanding for a deposit before they can carry out the surgery operation to save her life and I traveled down here with little money because I never expected things to be the way it is right now. Can you assist me with a loan? I'll surely pay back as soon as I get back home.

Please, let me know if you can be of help so I can advise on how to transfer the funds. I’ll be happy to hear from you soon regarding my request and please remember to keep this private.

Regards,

As there is no mention of the Mad Scot, I can only deduce that this is most decidedly NOT from Vladimir.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 362
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Skamming bastards!!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Thursday, 28 July, 2016 - 06:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, it appears that those who are receiving spoofing e-mail messages purporting to be from Vladimir are getting the same subject, "Help!," and the same text in their messages.

Needless to say we all know this is not originating with him.

I actually doubt that his account has truly been hacked, as in someone is actually accessing it directly without his knowledge. It is very easy to collect e-mail addresses and create messages that by all appearances originate from a person's e-mail address but when you begin digging through the details in the message headers it's clear they do not.

This is such an obvious scam, and now the word's been spread, that those who know Vladimir from this forum have been more than adequately warned. There's little else we can do.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Thursday, 28 July, 2016 - 06:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The email allegedly from Vladimir is not the the way he writes. He uses lots of similee phases like trying to to put a watch together by holding a duck by the legs and giving the the duck the tools.

It's a scam. Dying relation need money for life saving operation. Classic heart tugging scam. Of course the scammer wants it kept private. Vladimir would simply go to a bank and get the money sent from Oz wouldn't he.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 364
Posted on Thursday, 28 July, 2016 - 08:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think he would tell them I have more money than you need thus the bank wont allow me to EFT.
"so lets meet"

I think we know what would happen then

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 568
Posted on Thursday, 28 July, 2016 - 10:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Greetings Jet setters yes the scammers have got into my email and have sent many letters to friends etc requesting loot so please nobody send me anything apart from Omar who should be airfreighting at least a Corniche to my lair pronto. David knows my voice so I am going to phone him and remove myself from the forum temporarily. Apologies all

David Gore

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Thursday, 28 July, 2016 - 10:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For those who wish to make life more difficult for spammers, there is a spam reporting service set up by Cisco Systems which identifies the source of the spam and allows you to notify the administrators of the ISP being used for sending spam.

The process is a little "clunky" and trial and error is needed to successfully report spam as the spammers continuously try and stop the tracking system from identifying their location by changing the format of the headers of their posts.

https://www.spamcop.net/

It is a free service and requests financial support but does not stop non-supporters posting reports.

David Gore

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Thursday, 28 July, 2016 - 10:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have just spoken to Vladimir and he will still be active on the forum but will be unable to receive PM's until he organises a new email address as the low-life scum hijacked and locked up his email address by changing his password. He can send PM's but the current return address will not work successfully until it is changed [Vladimir - contact me if you cannot change the address yourself.]

As a general reminder, this episode highlights the importance of regularly making back-up copies of your email addresses for use if your email address is hacked. Unfortunately, it is best to not use a hacked address with a restored password subsequently to send and receive emails as it will be on lists for other spammers to use and recipients may have put the address on a block list in their browser - start afresh with a new address with a different service provider to avoid ongoing problems with spam emails being received and sent messages being blocked by recipients.

Members receiving spam from Vladimir's account [or any other account for that matter] should block it using their email service capabilities for blocking emails from unwanted sources.

Above all, never open attachments or files in emails that you are not expecting or from unknown senders as these often contain malware and I suspect this is how Vladimir's email address was compromised. Some but not all malware attachments may be picked up by your antivirus software so if in doubt, do not open suspect attachments without contacting the sender first to confirm it is was sent by them and is genuine.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 731
Posted on Thursday, 28 July, 2016 - 15:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
the Corniche is on its way mate. Not too sure about the condition of the rickety boat we sent it on - but lets cross our fingers. David is monitoring its journey and will let you know when the boat sinks - oops sorry - i meant to say arrives in Australia.
Thanks
Omar

PS I was in Russia yesterday

Grand Master

Post Number: 569
Posted on Thursday, 28 July, 2016 - 17:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ahem and nitrification the scamming swine should be hunted down and icepicked particularly on the spine.

Yes but how did they get my password for my yahoo account? Well that's simple - I gave it to them. Their scam was very tidy. First they sent me an email stating that my complexengine account had used up its one gig of memory and that I could no longer receive or send emails and of course they appeared to be yahoo. So like a total fool to reconfigure my account I entered my email address and my password after deleting unwanted mail thinking I was dealing with yahoo. After my daughter telephoned me then next day asking how much money I wanted I got her to forward the email to me she received which I had not sent to confirm as I suspected that she was getting scammed. Sure enough they were using a hot mail account which was not mine. Little did I realise that they had already broken into my account and were busy writing lots of emotional toss to anybody I had written to about sisters dying in Philippines send loot blah blah. Yes so I thought I would change my password just to be on the safe side. Then the scoundrels changed my password to lock me out of my own account!

Hmmm nice one. Now I am thinking blow torch pliers well basically the entire Acme torture set if and when I can get them arrested and can deal with them properly once they are in jail. Ho ho so much fun could be at hand chaps...... Naturally if they are in the Philippines I will of course have all this fun undercover of a Presidential decree making the whole caper totally legal. Important of course to always do things with humour and make it worth a bit of a giggle.

Chris Gillings
Frequent User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, 28 July, 2016 - 22:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've witnessed this scenario many times in recent years and find it remarkable that it seems to happen exclusively to users of Yahoo email accounts.

ross kowalski
Experienced User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, 28 July, 2016 - 23:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Your sister died in the Philippines!

Wow, that's terrible, should I send you my credit card number and pin directly to you or post it to the forum?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 575
Posted on Friday, 29 July, 2016 - 01:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Vladimir we will get the KGB on their trail they will take their fingernails out with pliers and then shove their bits and pieces down their throats.

Richard.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Friday, 29 July, 2016 - 04:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Similar on face book.

A posting will say my daughter has died please post a Amen.

Don't

Because once posted the scammers break into your Facebook and do bad stuff.

I am not on face book.

One woman posted I am at home with my six daughters watching tv and eating chocolate. And then gives her address.
She has just told any local sex nutcases that there are seven females alone with no man around. Dangerous.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, 29 July, 2016 - 08:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

You forgot the other KGB/Russian tactic.
Binding their hands and feet with barbed wire.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 576
Posted on Friday, 29 July, 2016 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick I was saving that for afters along with a cup of boiling coffee.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 370
Posted on Friday, 29 July, 2016 - 13:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OHHH

Now I'm with you.

We have watched to many movies I think

Not that is a bad thing though LOL

David Gore

Post Number: 2687
Posted on Tuesday, 10 October, 2017 - 08:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir - WHERE ARE YOU????

I have been trying to contact you using all the usual email/phone/SMS I have on file with no success.

If you are still lurking on the forum and read this message, would you please contact me through the forum with your current contact details.

I have a memento from Richard Yeaman to forward to you.

Regards David

David Gore

Post Number: 2702
Posted on Monday, 16 October, 2017 - 09:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

STOP PRESS

Have just had a phone call from Vladimir and all is now well with our Camargue custodian.

He will be returning to the forum in the near future to resume his participation.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 851
Posted on Monday, 16 October, 2017 - 16:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David that is good news,

Richard.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2017 - 05:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that David.
The Vlad fan club can breathe a sigh of relief. I know a few us have been worried about his disappearance.
Now i dont know much about Australians - but isnt it the country that brought the expression "gone walkabouts" to the world?
Perhaps someone can explain this strange behaviour that seems very Australian in nature?
Come back Vlad - all is forgiven.......

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2017 - 06:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I too have been worried about Vlad and his kitty PussNasty. Wondering if the camargue truly was from royalty or what.

Vladimir, come home.

David Gore

Post Number: 2704
Posted on Wednesday, 18 October, 2017 - 14:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

"gone walkabout" is directly attributable to the original custodians of our country and is a form of Pidgin English conveying the meaning of the original indigenous language:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin

The term is used to refer to someone who is or has gone away for an extended period of time and no-one knows where they have gone. Walkabout historically refered to a rite of passage during which Indigenous male Australians would undergo a journey during adolescence, typically ages 10 to 16, and live in the wilderness for a period as long as six months to make the spiritual and traditional transition into manhood.

walkabout

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Thursday, 19 October, 2017 - 03:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds exactly like what our Camargue man has done......only he had done it slightly later than age 10-16.....

Grand Master

Post Number: 776
Posted on Monday, 20 November, 2017 - 15:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here

Grand Master

Post Number: 777
Posted on Monday, 20 November, 2017 - 15:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Greeting Jetsetters. I am back. And this time I am really going over the top.

Indeed I have just landed a Jaguar Mark One restoration project at my country lair. My intentions after removing a massive amount of rust is to put a Jaguar XJS pre HE V12 into it with nitros oxide and a 6 speed Tremec box.

The evil plan is to make it faster than an E-Type.

Its a hideous plan but it must be done. Errk!!!!

Grand Master

Post Number: 778
Posted on Monday, 20 November, 2017 - 15:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your kind encouragement during my time of woe. Ross sent me a RR handle to pull myself together and Richard send me a key ring which is yet to arrive given the hopeless repair of Australia Post. Also thanks to our fearless moderator for his encouragement.

I have decided no more relationships for me as they are all out of my price range. However, soon next year I plan to invade China and check out the nefarious side of life.

David Gore

Post Number: 2730
Posted on Monday, 20 November, 2017 - 18:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

You should have received the key ring this morning - I sent it by registered mail and Auspost tracking claims it arrived in Collinsville at 8.45am this morning.

Just be careful Puss Nasty doesn't have evil intentions and decides to play "silly buggers" with the mail .

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 867
Posted on Monday, 20 November, 2017 - 18:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir good luck with the mark one Jaguar hopefully that will keep you out of mischief, The Key ring will look well in the Camargue.

Richard.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, 21 November, 2017 - 04:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir, welcome back to the forum. I have missed your tails of travels and woe. I had a MKI jag. It was my first Jag and I enjoyed it. You will need some luck, perseverance, and maybe a cutting torch to put that heavy V12 in that little body. I hope your MKI has the optional disc brakes. BUT, I believe you can do it. Having seen a Jag V12 in a Triumph TR7, anything is possible.
Best of luck
Mark

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Tuesday, 21 November, 2017 - 05:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome back Vlad.
We certainly missed you.
I hope all your wounds are healed now.
All the best
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Friday, 24 November, 2017 - 06:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,
Great to see you back on deck.

I hope all things are now well mate, and we all look forward to hearing some stories from you.

All the best.

David Gore

Post Number: 2739
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 07:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Has your key ring arrived safely???????

If not, I will have to refer the tracking number to AusPost.

Grand Master

Post Number: 783
Posted on Monday, 27 November, 2017 - 08:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Dave thanks