Watches Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Watches « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Monday, 25 July, 2016 - 08:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A little hobby of mine is watches.
A few years ago I brought a fake non working Bretling watch for £1 from a car boot sale.
The batteries were flat. So I fitted new button batteries. 2 batteries because the analogue bit and the digital bit are actually 2 separate movements in one case.
Also I brought a fake Rolex for £1.50 with flat batteries.
Most non working quartz watches are flat battery jobs.
I also have a gold watch made by the uk oldest watch maker. This one is a mechanical watch made in the 1960s. Value Unknown. It needs servicing though which is beyond my abilities. It's surprising what turns up at car boot sales.

How to spot fake watches.
Rolex . The second hand should move 8 times a second fakes move 1 time a second. The bubble over the date window should be 2.5 magnification, fakes 1 times at best. The strap is solid not hollow. Plus defects in the dial. New fakes are about £100. The fakes can be quite good watches with Swiss movements in a Asian made case and strap.
From manufacture to consumer the watch could be in storage for quite a while due to its compact size. Cheaper watches are stored with battery fitted. So by the time the user gets it the battery is limited duration. Because of the cheap price the watch ends up at a car boot for a quid.
Pound land sell 30 button batteries for a quid. My favourite silly thing is asking the shop assistant in proud land how much some thing is.
Good value are Lorus and Seconda. Followed by Avia. My wife has a white faced Seconda which is easy to read and 15 years old. Crystal glass as well. My Avia is 20 years old and a nice watch. My work watch is a Lorus which is very solid and takes a knock.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Monday, 25 July, 2016 - 09:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have number of watches gathered over the years including my first watch which was a Tudor Oyster given to me by my parents when I left home to go to University presumably so I would not be late for lectures. I purchased a self-winding Seiko chronometer watch when I started full-time work and this later proved to be a worthwhile purchase when I became engaged in the coal mine industry and I could take it underground into hazardous zones because it did not have batteries which were banned underground. I have a Jag battery watch formerly for everyday wear which now sits in a drawer with a flat battery as I now exclusively use my phone as my watch.

I also have a mechanical gold fob watch and chain for wearing on special occasions when wearing it is appropriate - unfortunately these have been few and far between in recent years .

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 342
Posted on Monday, 25 July, 2016 - 09:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What a wonderful subject.
One of my specialties. Titanic & the White Star line is my other.

What Robert says is true re fake Rolex watches.
the second hand beats so many times per second due to the oscillation of the balance wheel which is part of a mechanical movement. The one movement per second relates to the quartz movement that in most cases requires a battery.
As Robert rightly mentions as well, there are also some good fake mechanical watches so you really need to know what your looking at. But for a quid, its doesn't matter, you may get lucky and get an original that the seller thinks is a fake. I had a win like that many years ago with an Omega Sea Master.
Just want to add one thing.
In the Rolex world of Datejust, Sub mariner, Sea dweller, President, GMT & Yacht Master,(the most popular copy watch models) they simply do NOT come from the factory with quartz movement, only automatic winding mechanical movement.
It can be fun checking what watches are real or fakes, but it does not really matter if you like wearing them.

As David mentions the Tudor Oyster is a magnificent watch, I have one, and my first ever watch given to me when I was 10 is a Laurus, so I am a fan as well Robert

Carl Heydon
Frequent User
Username: car

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, 25 July, 2016 - 14:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Watches...I love them and have a few. My favourite is an old Movado, given to my father in 1948. he gave it to me when I was 10yo and I still wear it regularly. It fogged up when I accidentally wore it (briefly) in the shower. A few years on it was stolen. Six months later a police sergeant from Chatswood called to say his nephew had found it while scuba diving off Balmoral Beach and he contacted us from the engraving on the back. The watchmaker said it he gave it a clean.
A friend gave me one of two Bentley Breitling 'replicas' with automatic and manual wind. They keep better time than his genuine Rolex.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, 25 July, 2016 - 20:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting story there Carl.
The Movado has been through the proverbial wringer mate.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 05:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I also have two barbie doll watches. Which are becoming collectible.
I think the genuine Rolex and others are not worth the money. A basic Rolex is £3000.
It's a good hobby that fits into a suitcase unlike cars which seem to take up twice the room of the actual car. Also it's clean and the tools are few.
I don't like digital watches and prefer analogue. I don't actually read the time I go by where the hands are sort of thing.
I also have a Casio radio watch which picks up a time signal from Rugby UK. It corrects its self at 2am or 4 am.

The fake Bretling watch is a very good easy to use watch. All Inox as well.
Trouble is my wrists have shrunk and all my watches are loose.
My mobile has a clock and very usefully a good torch. Plus sat nav and compass. Dib dib be prepared.

Clean hanky, piece of string, pencil and a penknife used to be the estentials years ago.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree Robert,
The Rolex are way overpriced, and truthfully, the ones I have had have not been the best of time keepers at all. Today they are just a loud status symbol for yuppies and hipsters. However the older vintage type and not so loud Rolex that we may have owned or still do, are classy, and that is different. I have a lovely 20 year old Jaeger LeCoutre automatic, and it just keeps the best time. If I am swimming or on holidays, I use my 6309 Seiko divers watch, just pick it up, shake it a bit and she doesn't stop.
Hey that even sounds like my wife???
Mechanical watches will still work no matter what.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 09:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think this topic would benefit from some photographs!

I thought I was the only one still wearing a mechanical watch! I stopped buying battery watches 20 years ago. I've got a drawer full of them, all of which have stopped due to flat batteries. The batteries are not expensive, but they are not readily available and can't be easily changed without special tools. I want watches that I can put away, and when I get them out again they still work. Not too much to ask.

I have had a few of those 'Kinetic' watches that generate their own electricity from wrist movements, and they were ok. But I prefer the self-winding mechanical watches, preferably with some of the mechanism on show. I guess we are all into mechanics and engineering so it is no surprise that we all prefer the same type of thing.

The quartz analogue watch came along in the 70s and there was no way the mechanical watch could compete with it for accuracy or price. Everybody thought the mechanical watch was dead. But here we are 40 years later: You can now buy a really smart quartz watch for less than £5 which will keep perfect time; but expensive mechanical watches are still being made and sold.

I like real clockwork clocks too. With real musical chimes, and not some noise coming out of a loudspeaker.

ross kowalski
Experienced User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 12:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some of the more intresting watches in the stable...

I have and Bulova accutron and a titus running a mosaba caliber. That is some wacko tech.

Here's a shot of the Titus which needs a little love in the form of it's first CLA ever. I pulled the bracelet a month ago and that was as far as I got.

The watch I am wearing is a Seiko Kinetic, which is a weird piece of kit in it's own right.

Then recently I got a couple Vostock's which are great. Not expensive and built like a Lada. I was putting in a ridge vent on a friends house this evening wearing you guessed it, one of the Vostocks. I recommend them (and of course Shinola) as great starter watches.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 15:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great watches there Ross,
The Acutrons are quite rare these days.
As you correctly stated, the Vostock Russian watches are bullet proof, but the radium is Chernobyl quality

Here is my watch I am wearing today.
Lovely Oris Big Crown form 1979.

Rear view

One of only 2 battery watches I own, the rest are either auto, or Bob's favourites, manual wind.
Seiko Military from around 2001

The bottom dial has 2 functions.
It is a second time zone (GMT function) or set it for a beeping alarm.

Bob,
I have this lovely old hand wound watch with a mechanical alarm, you would love it.
Looks like this. I will bring mine in and photograph it for you.

Sound like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1kkUh3yK28

You wind the top crown like normal, pull it out, turn it to the hour you want the alarm to sound, and push it back in.
Its a tiny hammer that hits against the back screw on part on the watch case.
Its very cool.
Picked it up for about $30 many years ago.

I will also bring in the old 60's Seiko divers watch as well and photograph.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Frequent User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 17:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is what I inherited from my father:
Eterna Matic Centenaire Chronometer
This is an automatic, mechanical watch my father got in 1964 for his 5oieth birthday, presented by his staff. Unfortunately it is not running any more and a repair by the Eterna factory was estimated at CHF 3000 = well over £ 2000.
I also have a Turler (approx. 1930), what was the first watch my father got as a present when he came of age. It is not running either. An estimate indicated it is not worth repairing it, as it is neither water proof nor shock proof.
Jonas

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 18:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jonas,
Beautiful watch mate.
Any watch can be repaired.

Avoid taking it to the manufacturer and just go to a normal watch maker. Any well trained Asian watchmaker are very well skilled in all makes.
My watch maker is from Hong Kong, and not one watch has ever cost me over $350.00
In most cases the average cost would be under $200.00
Watch parts are surprisingly cheap.
In regards to the other watch not being waterproof or dust proof, well 90% of watches made up until the 70s -80s were in the same boat.
Sounds like he didn't want the job.
In most cases, a basic clean and service is all they will need, unless something extreme happened to it.

David Towers
Frequent User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 19:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

R and Bentleys must go together with watches... I have about 60! Most of mine are fairly worthless 50s 60s manual or automatic but I have a few nice ones.
I have my Grandfathers old watch which I had restored a few years ago, it is one of those makes that no one has heard of but quite attractive and must have been expensive when new as the indices are rubies! I also have my wifes Grandfathers watch which again I had restored and that is one of the watches that were made by Blancpain watchmakers as 'foreigners' after hours.
Most of my 'collection' are Timex or Smiths as they were 'the thing' when I was at school and many a wasted hour discussing how many jewels our watches had - at 9 years old, these things were important!
I also have a solid gold Tudor that is my 'birth year' watch, an Omega 'Moonwatch' that I never wear as it marks/scratches so easily and my daily is a new Rolex ceramic Sub. This was a dream watch for me and was going to be for best only, but, I have worn it day in, day out for the last three years, never take it off in bed or the shower and it still looks like new.
Of course, most people think it's a fake if they notice at all, but I know...
Also got a couple of Briteblings and I love them... but got burned badly on one a decade or so ago when I bought a fake that was sold as real...
If you are interested, there is a huge fake watch movement (sic) and plenty of forums so you can read up and therefore be aware. SOme of the fakes, are flaming magnificient and cost thousands.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 20:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice story there David.
Any chance of some pics of the restored watches?
Well done on your dream watch. A ceramic Sub is frickin awesome!

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 573
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 20:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My watches not very significant I have two Seiko automatic manual and one Seiko battery does everything one Rolex and one Timex my wife bought me the little Timex just before she was hurt in the Bomb my Family bought me the Rolex for my Sixtyth birthday and the Seiko ones I bought here and there, I wouldn't want to lose the Timex.

Richard.

ross kowalski
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2016 - 22:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas,

Patrick's right. A Turler deserves to be running and it is very repairable by any competent watch maker.

Did I just say competent?

Send a picture, I'd love to see it.

Patrick,

That Oris is truly a Rolls Royce of watches.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 356
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 10:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Ross,

I loved that dial the moment I saw it. It reminded me of my dads old 17 Jewell Cyprus manual wind watch that I still have. He bought it on his way to the boat to head off to WWII.
I remember him saying to me as a kid, (as I was always fiddling with his watches)"I bought it as I was sure I would need to know what time it was during the war"
The number fonts are the same, and the turning pattern on the dial is he same.

Richard,
Your watches sound amazing. Love the early Timex watches, they were very good quality stuff.

As promised.
Here is my 6309 (movement) Seiko Automatic Divers Watch from 1969

Super solid & heavy stainless steel. I have heard that people have even used these as improvised knuckle dusters!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 12:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I also remember clearly the "jewels" discussion with school mates.
A real bragging right if you had 17 or more.
I remember one kid came to school with his dads watch that had "25 Jewels Automatic" emblazoned across the dial, and for a time he was king.
Then one day a kid came to school with his uncles watch which his uncle had no idea he had taken it.
it had
25 jewels
Automatic
waterproof
AND
Incabloc
Proudly on the dial
HE was never beaten as the watch king!!!!
It was a lovely 60's Felicia "sports watch"

Jonas TRACHSEL
Frequent User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 18:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross
Your desire is an order to me. So here is the requested pix of the Turler:
Turler with original case inscribed with dealers details
Turler watch with original case inscribed with dealers details
Turler close-up
Turler close-up
I have another interesting watch (or is "clock" the correct word?): An Omega 8Days dashboard watch from a 1932 Saurer truck (who has ever heard of that Swiss company that also built passenger cars pre-WW1?) that was broken-up against my pleas around 1965:
Omega hand-wind dashboard watch approx 1932
Omega hand-wind dashboard watch approx. 1932
Hope all that finds your interest. Jonas

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 360
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 20:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stunning images Jonas.
Thank you for sharing with us.

Please don't give up on getting the Turler going.
At worse, they can even fit a new movement.
Generally curvex type watches will run a ladies size movement.
And even high quality movements can be very affordable.

Check this out.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turler-Swiss-made-17-Jewel-wrist-watch-Hirsch-Lizard-Band-/302024232501?hash=item46520c0e35:g:e4MAAOSwddNXgajo

Just a thought.
We're all good at engine transplants.

ross kowalski
Frequent User

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2016 - 14:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas,

Nice, very nice.

The turler looks great and deserves to be running.

I had to google Saurer as I never heard of them. Looks like some serious vehicles!

It's funny, I have a short list of vehicles I would still like to own at some point and the MontVerde High Speed is at the top of that list.
The engine wasn't built like a Swiss watch, but everything else was.

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2016 - 21:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My keepers:

'71 Heuer Carrera
'68 Rolex Air-King-Date
'51 Wakmann Chronograph

Watches

Mrs Makeshift: "You spent HOW much servicing your watch?!"
At least it's only once a decade...
:-/

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 746
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 05:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My dad gave me a rolex which is now 30 years old. I have used it as an everyday watch for many many years. It needed a few repairs and has over the years been poorly repaired locally. It now needs to go to someone who is both honest and knows what they are doing for a proper overhaul. The crown ( the bit you wind) comes out completely and no longer can set the day date and time. The watch however works well regardless of this problem.
Does anyone know someone we can trust in the UK to repair the watch without robbing the internals and not break the bank? I say the UK because i often go there and i have family in the UK too.
Thanks

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, I've found the Rolex Forums to be the best online resource for all things Rolex. I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.

http://www.rolexforums.com/

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 08:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a long case clock. It was made in 1983. By Smallcombe. It has moon phase and 3 choices of chime. Mechanical.

I notice the amount of us RR owners who have a collection of watches.

Ticker ticker timex.
Remember a watch being strapped to a horses hoof and the horse ridden over jumps and water and the Timex was still going. Also a watch on an outboard motor propellor.
My favoured watch is my Avia it has no date just a sweep hand it's so functional yet slender.

My wife had a cuckoo clock but an idiot friend broke by playing football in my hall. My wife went nuts.

I have also a radio clock which gets a signal from Rugby Uk. I use this to set all clocks in my home.

David Towers
Frequent User

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 08:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I tried to post pictures, loads of them and the forum rejected them... didn't feel like trying again as it took me an age the first time!

My Rolex gains about 1.5 seconds per day and is consistent, I adjust it twice a year when the clocks change so I arrive progressively earlier for appointments as the year progresses! :-)

A friend of mine bought a new Rolex Explorer 35 years ago, has worn it daily, never had it serviced and his is just as accurate as mine. It still looks like new as well. It replaced a Brietling 'toptime' that packed up after 6 years and is festering in a drawer... I have been trying to 'liberate' it from him for some time!

Regarding Rolex servicing, it is getting very tricky to do apart from Rolex themselves as they are becoming (like most of the Swiss manufacturers) 'difficult' regarding parts availability to anyone not authorised by themselves. There are still a few places in the UK though and if you look on TZ UK there are a few that get serious recommendation.

David Gore

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 10:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"I tried to post pictures, loads of them and the forum rejected them... didn't feel like trying again as it took me an age the first time!"

David,

Please PM me through this forum and I will send you an email address you can send your photos to and I will process them and post them on the forum on your behalf. If you can give me a caption/description for each image, I will include these as well.

For anyone else having the same problems posting images as David, I am always happy to do this for you.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 14:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,

The reason why the Brietling died is that they use a mass produced bought in movement that is then customised and fitted in house.

Rolex make everything for their movements in house.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 747
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 - 15:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

many thanks Jeff. I will give it a go.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, 10 August, 2016 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love the Wakmann Jeff.
The strap suits it well.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 14:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update,

I like the Vostock screw down crown watches for being cheap, mechanical, and indestructable. But... I just ruined one. Turns out the crystal is plastic and under pressure expands into it's mounting to seal tighter. The more psi the better the seal.

But, if you hit one side with a pressure washer there is not even pressure to keep the seal and water gets inside. I pulled the movement and dried it out, but you have to think that was bad.

We'll see.

Also on my desk is a fusee movement from well before the USA was a thing. It runs but the verge needs real help as it has a noticably uneven beat.

Next to it is a 65 Roamer Anfibia. It is not automatic and doesn't have the date complication but runs well and is a very handsome piece.

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, 04 April, 2017 - 20:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice to see this thread resurrected. A friend of mine has been over from Ireland for a few days and was wearing an early Rolex Sea dweller that is rather old and utterly lovely - bubble glass model. It has never been serviced either in all its long life and has spent many years resting in a drawer (it was my friends wife's Fathers watch) a quick shake and it sprang back into life.

Strange to see it side by side with my modern watch as the new Sea Dweller is pretty big but this is smaller than my daily Submariner. I did take pictures, but on my phone and not much good/clear/in focus but it felt lovely.

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, 05 April, 2017 - 19:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recently purchased a watch with the Bentley logo on the dial, it was on ebay and cost me around $5.00 and that included postage lol

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 299
Posted on Saturday, 08 April, 2017 - 12:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm not in a league with the serious watch guys but I like Seiko automatic dive watches and have a couple. Just ordered a Versa 2-watch winder for $60 delivered. Made in China but good enough for my needs I suspect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUHqL5Ie7ms

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, 11 April, 2017 - 11:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

Seiko automatic dive watches are serious, just not *"uber expensive"

*uber expensive relative to a chronograph from one of the bigger swiss firms.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Tuesday, 11 April, 2017 - 11:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

gents,

ANY serious watch collector will have at least one, if not more Seiko dive watches.

They are a benchmark in what a dive watch should be.

Great item. My son just purchased a new model himself.

He has always worn my 6309 model (see above in the thread) but wanted one of his own.
This is what he purchased.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Tuesday, 11 April, 2017 - 12:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My watch today is my 1975 Tudor Prince Oysterdate.

Up until the 90's or so, and right back to the 20's Rolex offered Tudor watches that were almost just re badged Rolex watches.

A bit like the Shadow Bentley T situation.

My Tudor Prince Oysterdate uses everything Rolex, including the Oyster bracelet. The only thing not "Rolex" is the movement.

The case is exactly the high quality Rolex Oyster case that is used for any other Rolex Oyster, or Oyster date with 19mm lugs.

The movement is a high grade ETA movement, still fitted to Omega, Brietling and other good Swiss watches.

Some even call Tudors "the poor mans Rolex"

These are pics I took last month for my son to put onto his watch forum.

He has a 1950's Tudor Prince similar to this one below with the older Tudor logo.

Here is a bit of history for those interested.
https://www.interwatches.com/rolex-tudor-history

Todd Keleske
New User
Username: toddk

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, 12 April, 2017 - 10:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What an amazing collection some of you have. Beautiful ! I purchased my Rolex Submariner way back in 1982 from "Little Switzerland" on The Island of St. Croix. Wore it everyday for 30 yrs up until I decided not to be on any time schedule. On it's 20th year and still keeping excellent time I decided to have it serviced. Sent it off to "Rolex Dallas Service Center" for an oil change and general maintenance. At that time I used a sun dial :-)Sorry to admit it's the only watch I own :-( Todd 02 Bentley guy. PS: The watch has appreciated 3 or 4 times from the original purchase price...Gotta love it.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Wednesday, 12 April, 2017 - 10:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Todd,

I still regret trading mine on another watch.

Wish I still had it. The Submariner looks good if you have a tuxedo on or a T shirt.

A real classic.

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, 12 April, 2017 - 19:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The second Tudor pictured is the same as my birth year watch, except mine is in solid 18ct gold... 'cos I is flash :-)

I love Tudors nearly as much as Rolex :-)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Wednesday, 12 April, 2017 - 21:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love the I is flash comment David, that's cool.

Yes,
I have a few more Tudors, they are a great watch.

If anyone has a Tudor chronograph (in the Rolex Daytona case) give me a yell, I want one bad.

Here is my oldest Tudor.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Wednesday, 12 April, 2017 - 22:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like the tudor above has a army look about it.

I broke my Lorus the other day, the glass got badly chipped whilst moving a concrete block. My wrist is bruised as well.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Wednesday, 12 April, 2017 - 23:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bloody hell Robert.

Why are you out moving concrete blocks?
I hope you had some help.

Can you fix the watch?

That Tudor is 9ct gold and I found it in a coin jar of my dads.
Just needed a polish and service and she was fine.

Todd Keleske
Experienced User
Username: toddk

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 02:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry to say my Rolex is the only piece of jewelry I own, other that my wedding band, however my wife makes that up with all her "stuff"...Ha Ha....

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 03:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I shall have to send the lorus to a shop.

I was on my own with the blocks, my visiting nurse has already told me off.

I have to take steroids which cause me to briuse easily which can then break and cause an infection. so I shall not do that again without safety gear.

My wife has a massive amount of jewelry. I only have a wedding ring and a selection of watches.

I like the simple army watches and just think an army officer with whistle in mouth looking at his watch about to go over the top at the Somme.

Samsung are doing watches now, I shall check them out sometime.

At the moment I am wearing a breiting watch which is a fake but quite nice. Trouble is my wrists are thin and the watch is floppy on my wrist.

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 04:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I really ought to sell all my other watches (Bentley has needs!) as I never wear them. Even my (more or less) brand new Omega Speedmaster 'moonwatch' that I bought brand spankers in 2011. I have worn it perhaps a dozen times and on one of those knocked the bezel off! Omega repaired it FOC but it is so fragile (Hesalite 'crystal' is so easy to mark, it scratches if you look at it harshly!) and so hard to wind (manual with a tiny winder button) that I just look at it occasionally while in the watch box :-)
To be honest, I LOVE my Rolex! I have worn it day in, day out since the 26th of October 2012 which was the day I bought it. No one ever notices it (good) but it just feels so 'right' on my wrist I feel denuded without it :-)

Mark Luft
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, 13 April, 2017 - 04:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just 3 watches. An old Russian Vostok (broken) A Longines that my wife gave to me on our wedding day, 25 years ago , and a Tag Heuer Professional that I wear every day. I like the mid-sized dial, staying away from the large, and to me, gaudy dials.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Friday, 14 April, 2017 - 08:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

samsung watches are actually mobile phones. £300.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Friday, 14 April, 2017 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

If you have a Samsung phone, their watch called a Samsung Gear will interest you.

My wife has one, and she loves it.
She can answer calls on it, read txt messages, it has a pedometer and a camera. It's very cool.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Friday, 14 April, 2017 - 19:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

I have a Vostok chronograph. Great watch

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, 15 April, 2017 - 00:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was just told my watch was/is a fake! :-) Doesn't bother me in the slightest but as the same person also told me he thought I was in my 80s, I fear he may have been on a 'wind-up' the sod! :-)

Mark Luft
Frequent User

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, 15 April, 2017 - 02:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, I love the old Vostok watches, not the new european ones.

David, It's not a fake, it's a "Tribute watch".

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Saturday, 15 April, 2017 - 11:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,
I remember when I got my first waterproof Vostok, tougher and heavier than a Submariner.
Then they did automatic, what a great watch.
I also have a Vostok pocetwatch.

My son participates on a watch forum, so he has access to all my weird watches, plus a lot of his own.

He posted these as a couple of RR & Bentley owners have posted images of their watches with their cars.
This one due to the Smiths make of the pocket watch.

And this one as he dug out an early 70's Seiko from my draw (which started working the moment he shook it lol)

Mark Luft
Frequent User

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, 18 April, 2017 - 02:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wonderful pictures, Patrick!
Thanks!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Monday, 24 April, 2017 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Todays watch is a large (for the time) 44mm Doxa.
early 50's, great dial & hands, curved lugs, has just been serviced.

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, 30 April, 2017 - 19:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry to see that young Sir, few things n life give you a sinking feeing faster than smashing your watch unless you smashed your wrist in the process?

I knocked the bezel off my Speedmaster just by letting the seat back fall forward faster than it liked and the leather pinged it into orbit - I was scrabbling around trying to find it before it had hit the ground.

Hope you get it repaired okay.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Monday, 17 July, 2017 - 11:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

Being the brains trust that you are, I wanted to know if one of you could identify the pattern, or inscription on a pocket watch I am restoring for my brother in law.

It apparently was given to his dad when he was a young Daktari in Africa in the 40's or early 50's.

Here are some images.

Here is a close up scan (camera cant pic it up, as it has almost been worn off as the case is 18ct gold.

To me it is not a pattern, but I am sure it is an inscription.

Thoughts gents?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Monday, 17 July, 2017 - 17:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick know nothing about watches but had a look at a couple I have and both have designs on the back.

By the way turned the winder a few turns and both work!
However how do you set the time on them.

Now where is the Rolex collection ah I remember in the bank strong room.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Tuesday, 18 July, 2017 - 09:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Patrick,

The pattern on mine seems to random, to me it looks like an inscription, unless it has been polished so much, the crest or pattern is just non existent.

Your watches are stunning mate, they are an open face pocket watch, and a half hunter pocket watch (the one with the small hole for peeking at the time)
They are set by pushing your fingernail into the small pin to the right of the winding stem.

Some others you push the winder, some you pull, some have a pin in the middle of the top of the winder.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Tuesday, 18 July, 2017 - 21:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Patrick, I will investigate the type of time setting and report back.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Wednesday, 19 July, 2017 - 06:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looking forward to it.

Any internal images would be appreciated as well.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Wednesday, 26 July, 2017 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick had a little time to get the watches out to have a play.
Yes pressing the pin as you say I was able to set the time.
Can't understand why the time is shown on an angle in relation to the winder this is the half hunter?
The open face one was very hard to open but the workings are shown, do not know how to stop the things so pix are with them working.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Wednesday, 26 July, 2017 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick,

All pocket watches with an opening case front, be it Hunter or half hunter have the 3 at the winder and not the 12.
This is just because of the opening method of the case front. Just hold it in your right hand and use your thumb, the front pops open and you don't have to turn it to view it. Open face pocket watches still used the old fashioned 12 below the winder.
I have a WWI pocket watch that was converted to a wrist watch by adding soldered on wire lugs, so the 12 is at the 3 when worn on the wrist. Quite unusual to read, but the winder is in the usual place we are all used to in a wrist watch.

Your watches are magnificent mate. Get them out and use them, they are great conversation pieces.
Thanks for sharing the images.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Wednesday, 26 July, 2017 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

More on my inscription on my pocket watch, A RROC friend said it "may" surely be African.

I hope someone can let me know.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Wednesday, 26 July, 2017 - 09:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
Watches are a huge thing for me as you know.

I have just finished restoring my Grandfathers stop watch (he was jockey & horse trainer from the late 1800's to around 1950)
Here are a couple of images

And I am also carrying the Smiths pocket watch in the above pick next to the RR Speedo.

I have just restored and serviced it as well.

Its dated on the back from Christmas 1972

John Beech
Grand Master
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, 15 August, 2017 - 22:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While I have little to contribute to the watches discussion because I wear a rather ordinary Seiko automatic, I did come across an interesting watch article this morning and thought I'd share.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-14/the-watch-that-almost-destroyed-an-entire-industry
--
John

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Wednesday, 16 August, 2017 - 07:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,
That is very interesting indeed.

Thanks for sharing this.

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, 16 August, 2017 - 20:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks John, great article. I have always quite liked Quartz movements, they are cheap, accurate and robust and last well. I have a few interesting ones in my 'collection' and have vey fond memories of a Seamaster quartz that my son now wears.

I do have one of the modern ones that 'tick' at 24 Hz so really look smooth and flawless. Unfortunately, the styling leaves something to be desired so it sits in the watch box semi forgotten about... which is why I'm being mysterious about the brand - I can't remember!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Saturday, 19 August, 2017 - 01:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My grandson whilst in Italy brought a Rolex. I said jokingly " did you buy that on the street for a tenner " he said no I brought of a guy on the beach for ten euros. He wanted 50 but I beat him down".

I am quite proud of him, he has gumption.
The Rolex is a good fake.

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, 19 August, 2017 - 02:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just remembered: I have a pocket watch in gold (plate sadly) with the Bentley 'wings' engraved on the case.

Are you all jealous? :-)

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Sunday, 20 August, 2017 - 04:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Never seen one like this!

Pocket watch and miniature camera made in 1904.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Sunday, 20 August, 2017 - 19:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes David, I'm jealous

That's a great piece Patrick.
Have not seen one like that before.
Any make or model on it?

Chris Gillings
Prolific User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, 20 August, 2017 - 20:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That looks awfully like this and this, Patrick. From what I can see, the watch face is a fake and it doesn't contain a watch movement at all.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Sunday, 20 August, 2017 - 20:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick the watch camera is up for sale at Bonham's auction at Beaulieu on the 2nd of September starting at 11-00 BST lot number 289.

This is the descriptive notes from the catalog
"An interesting "Ticka" 'pocket watch' subminiature camera, by Houghtons Limited of London, 1904-1914,

British patent applied 14th October 1903 and developed by Swedish designer Magnus Niell, nickelled brass case with 'HTC' engraved monogram, with two-position view-finder lens, shutter operation slider and shutter release button to side of case and 'winder' to rear advancing the film, with release lever to underside opening the rear panel to reveal sectioned interior containing the 'dark chamber' but lacking manufacturer's plate, allowing 25 exposures on 15 x 23mm frame size, the whole disguised as a pocket watch case and used for 'inconspicuous photography', lacking 'crown wheel' lens cap, 55mm diameter.

May well be there if time permits and if the wife lets me go!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Sunday, 20 August, 2017 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris, that's a good find on the camera.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 01:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick Ryan,
When we were in Beaulieu Richard Yeaman Alan Dibley and I bought you a wristwatch that had RR logos all over it. I cost us the earth - so we all chipped in £1 each to make it ours. The watch was sold to us in non working order. The stall holder told me that the "motor was f*^ked Guv". I said that we still want it and the three of us took a gamble on a huge outlay of cash...... Three quid is a lot of money to autojumble visitors......

I took the watch to a Dubai watch repair stall and they got it working for very little money.

I am now sitting on a watch with your name on it. How can I get it to you?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 02:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, Richard & Alan.

What a caring and thoughtful bunch of blokes you are.

I just wish I could have been there with you guys to have been part of it all.

This sounds like a fantastic find, and even more special is that you guys picked it out just for me.
I'm a bit lost for words (yes I know that is hard to believe) and all I can say via this forum as a HUGE thank you guys.

You are special mates, that's for sure and we haven't even met.

My wife read what you had sent Omar, and she was quite moved that you would do something like this for someone on the other side of the world.

Her response........
"Let's pick it up from Omar"
So we will have to work on this.

Thanks so much guys.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 02:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
Tell Mrs Ryan that you are both very welcome in Dubai. Just tell us when.
All the best
Omar

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 02:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just for the record it is not the one with the white dial..... that's just there for comparison.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 15:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
The black dial watch is far more precious mate.

Sentimental value is highest on the value list for me mate.

Thank you again guys.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 550
Posted on Thursday, 21 September, 2017 - 10:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

The nice thing is you know it is a quality product because they put the logo on it at least 4 times. RR spares no expense.

A Rolex so called president only bothered to write Rolex once to save money on ink. Truely a Hobo's watch. Disgraceful.

You could write Rolex on it a few more times to generally class it up some.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Thursday, 21 September, 2017 - 12:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

Great advice.

Sorry mate I will leave it just the way it is.

No ghastly Rolex name on this baby!!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Friday, 22 September, 2017 - 02:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hahahaha
I will continue to wear my hobo-watch in shame....
but boy do I love it....

This particular watch (we will call it the hobo from now) has a real history.

My dad gave it to me in 1979 (or thereabouts) when he came to visit me when I was a student in the UK. I was very happy to get something so amazing at age 18. I wore it every day for many years. Then one day as I was entering the UK, a woman working for HM customs stopped me and asked me if i had paid the VAT on that watch. I said No. She demanded i paid a few thousand UK pounds which as a student I never had. So I told her that i had no money and she could lock me up if she wanted. She kept me for hours whilst she checked my finances and found out that I actually was a poor student who just had a mega watch. She then confiscated it from me and the British government spent a large sum of money to wrap, deliver and securely store the watch for 4 months until I exited the country and took my watch with me. What a waste of the poor tax payer's money. It must have cost at least £1000 to do all of that. I then took the watch home to Dubai and never wore it in the UK again.
I often wonder what level of training some of these civil servants get with respect to wasting tax payer's money.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 551
Posted on Friday, 22 September, 2017 - 06:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I was thinking writing Rolex on the Rolex but I like the idea of writing it on the RR watch too. Tasteful and reserved, just how I like it.

Omar,

I think I would have flown home if it were me! Glad you got it back. Anything is better if it has a good story behind it. I might even drive a Renault Dauphine if it had some history.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Friday, 22 September, 2017 - 16:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's an amazing story Omar.

And what a shame you couldn't wear the watch that was legitimately yours!!!!

Omar
Did your dad give you the original box ect ?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Friday, 22 September, 2017 - 17:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Ross, reserved for sure

Well I'm driving my first ever Fiat, and I just have to remember to keep right, not left!!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Saturday, 23 September, 2017 - 03:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
No he didnt. He was wearing it and then took it off his wrist and gave it to me.
He has since given me many more but I can only ever wear one at a time.
None of my watches have boxes - They eat up lots of space and dont mean all that much to me. Same as my toy car collection - none of those have boxes either.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Saturday, 23 September, 2017 - 03:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hear you Omar,
Some of that stuff is just useless if you keep it

My dad gave me his watch his dad bought him before we went off to WWII.

IT is one of my most prized possessions.

Your dad was a good man mate.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Saturday, 23 September, 2017 - 03:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Ross,
I did toy with the idea with going home but again I was broke and couldnt afford to fly back. In those days airline tickets looked like small magazines and cost an arm and a leg. We had just graduated from flying VC10s to Tristars....
.............and our cars were modern.....

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 557
Posted on Sunday, 24 September, 2017 - 14:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

How's the Fiat? (He said Hoping it was a 124 Spyder)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Sunday, 24 September, 2017 - 15:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross
I wish!!!

It was a 2016 Punto, which was ok.
Some type of de accelerator fitted or switched on as it was very sluggish off the mark.
Good little car to drive, but I've never driven a manual before with the gear shift in my right hand, so that was fun.

I haven't driven on this side of the road since we were in America.
But I might add that the roads in America are nice and big like ours in Australia.
Dropped it near Venice to get the train over for 3 days.

We have now picked up an Opel Zaffira which is nice as well.

But driving right into Florence, I wish I had the Punto back.

The roads are only as wide as the Opel, and as we drove in last night (Saturday) I had to drive amongst a thousand people just walking on the road drinking wine!!!!

It is amazing, they don't care where they are walking, and they are well aware their is cars behind them, but they don't get off the road.

Combine this with the prams and strollers and hundreds of people dragging suitcases, I had to have a number of drinks afterwards.

Let's not even discuss the angry Italian car park attendant who was going off in Italian to everyone that drove into the carpark.

He was jumping into cars to move them, spinning the wheels, slamming doors etc.

I looked at him and told him he needs a new job.
But he could not understand me.

Lucky as I only came up to his chest.

Lastly we have to get the car out Monday morning for a one hour drive for sight seeing, then bring it back. That will be fun.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 558
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 02:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Travel is always educational, some times more than others.

Florence ( old city ) is my second favorite city anywhere.

If you get the chance, to the north of the city on one of the hills is Fiesole. It was an old Etruscan temple then several other holy sites of the religion de jour. It was excavated when archeology was basically wealthy dudes paying strong young dudes with shovels to look for treasures, a lot of artifacts just ended up in till piles to the side of the main temple excavation. I hear from reliable sources that one can find constantines sitting on the ground after a rain.

Also, the view away from the city overlooking olive orchards is postcard material. There used to be cafe right across the street which I' m sure is still there( perfect spot)

Ciao.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 04:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I understand what you are saying Ross.

We walked all the way to the Piazzale Michael Angelo today, and yes what a view.

The pics of the sunset we got are stunning.

And yes a couple of drinks were had from a drink vendor.

Good Italian beer it was too.

Mark Luft
Prolific User

Post Number: 149
Posted on Saturday, 09 December, 2017 - 00:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Something for the watch collectors from Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolls-Royce-Springfield-gold-watch-NEW-Baume-Mercier-case-papers-tag/391940000156?hash=item5b4171c99c:g:ohoAAOSwTm9aJpFH

StevenBrown
Frequent User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, 09 December, 2017 - 05:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like watches..... My brother bought a few fakes from his Thailand trip. These are fully automatic and near identical to the real world counter part. They even can fool expert buyers unless opened. My favorite watch is sentimental. High School graduation gift was a Cartier Cougar watch. I chose it just because everyone in my grad class was going Rolex as a present that year. With a friend we hired a Shadow II to take us to the school for the grad ceremony. Second reason I like them......

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Tuesday, 12 December, 2017 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very interesting pieces there Mark.

Great selection for your graduation Steven, a really nice watch indeed.
Do you still have it?

I still have my very first watch my parents bought me for my 12th birthday.

I get it out, wind it, wear it for a few days, then put it away for another few years.

The original strap is however getting a bit worn out.

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, 07 February, 2018 - 01:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry to resurect an old thread but I had a message from someone on here regarding possibly buying my Omega Speedmaster moonwatch. It was some time ago and I have forgotten who it was! If you are still interested then please message me...

I did try looking back through old messages but could find nothing.

StevenBrown
Prolific User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, 10 February, 2018 - 06:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My brother was in Thailand about ten years ago. He bought a couple fakes and surprisingly they still work today. I have one of the Rolex's and its a Japanese movement and case model. Still could fool, most at a glance today.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Saturday, 10 February, 2018 - 21:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David it was me.
I will PM you.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Saturday, 10 February, 2018 - 21:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Steven
Some of the older fakes are now highly sought after.

They were probably better than the originals of the same time

David Gore

Post Number: 2827
Posted on Sunday, 11 February, 2018 - 08:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Steven & Patrick,

The original "copy watches" sold in Asia a decade and more ago usually contained a Seiko movement in a well-made copy of the genuine case.

I purchased a copy Rolex ladies watch in Thailand in the 1990's for the ex-wife who found the band was too large after wearing the watch when we came home.

Shortly after returning home, she walked past the Rolex shop in the Sydney CBD and decided they could adjust the band for her so she walked in and made this request.

Much to my surprise when she told me afterwards what she had done was the fact that the shop staff adjusted the band to her liking without charge and apparently not noticing it wasn't a genuine Rolex.

This certainly would not have been the case if they had removed the rear cover exposing the Seiko movement........

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Sunday, 11 February, 2018 - 10:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Absolutely correct David.
Almost perfect replicas.

The most sought after by collectors are 70’s submariners with a rare auto Citizen movement.
These were reported as being far more accurate than the Rolex movement of the same time period.
The copy cases were perfect and even good for 100m as per the originals.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2018 - 04:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen..............
I have inherited a gold pocket watch that looks very special but I cant seem to find any information about it. I don't even know if it is unique as I have not been able to see any photos on the net for anything that comes close to it. Can you learned folk give me an idea as to what it is? Also I have jointly inherited it and we therefore need to sell it - so an idea of price will also be welcome. I will post photos soon.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2018 - 04:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2018 - 05:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2018 - 05:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2018 - 05:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David Gore

Post Number: 2872
Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2018 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Incoming missile alert.........

Fortunately friendly fire and not belligerent .

I think our horological collectors will have lots of interest in this watch. I have never seen one like this.

Chris Gillings
Prolific User

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2018 - 15:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar's watch is a true RR owner's watch: the regulator is labeled 'Advance' and 'Retard'!

But seriously, it makes much more sense than the 'Slow/Fast' you see on most watches.
"Do I move it to Slow because it's slow or to make it go slower?"
Choosing to 'Retard' a fast-running watch is much more obvious.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Saturday, 05 May, 2018 - 01:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David.
I truly welcome any support I can get on identifying this watch. I would hate to sell it on ebay and get peanuts for it if it turns out that it is a rare item that has serious value. Truth is I have no idea how much its worth.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1878
Posted on Saturday, 05 May, 2018 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
This is quite unusual.
This is a double dial lever action moon phase calendar watch with a pin set (push the small indented pin next to the winder) movement in an 18ct case.
Here is one similar.
http://www.bogoff.com/pocket/6567.html

The date that appears in the back is not usually a manufacturing date, but a date of design or when this design may have been registered.

The rear dial is a gear driven monthly calendar with moon phase.
I can see the small pinion drive gear, but can’t see what drives it once it passes through the cover that has the number of days per month on it. However there appears to some kind of tooth in the bridge that drops down to accept the pinion.??

Does the watch wind, run & keep time Omar?

Omar, does the rear dial have 2 discs that turn that move the day of the month & date?
If the calendar part works, it appears that manual monthly adjustments would need to be done to adjust for days of the month & date.
It also appears that the month (showing through the small window) would also turn independently as well as the moon.

There will possibly be another “pin” poking through the side somewhere Omar?
I can’t see any in the pics.

So in fact 4 functions for the rear dial, that appears to be driven by that small pinion.
Some of these watches with this rear dial were not auto advancing as such, but were simply manually adjusted every day, like a flip calendar on your desk, but of course some were.
Does all this turn when you adjust the hands manually or turn the small pinion by hand Omar?

Sorry for all the questions.

If the watch & functions do not work, it would more than likely cost more to fix than what it would be worth.
As it seems very unusual, it is probably a small boutique watch maker that would make parts rare.
Everything would have to be hand made if replacement parts were required.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Saturday, 05 May, 2018 - 15:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
I appreciate your support with this watch.
Having read what I know so far - it makes me think that these things (like our cars) are masterpieces but seem to have relatively low value compared to how much work and expense has gone into making them.
My watch appears to have a value of US$2,000 after over 100 years from its manufacture having been made of gold in the first instance.
Now I know how much I should ask for when I sell it.
Thanks again.
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Saturday, 05 May, 2018 - 22:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is good that it has generated interest Omar.

It’s a lovely piece.

Does it wind & work?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Sunday, 06 May, 2018 - 02:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I never looked!!!
So I took it out of the bag and wound it up and it started to tick and the second hand started to move. So yes it does wind and it does work.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Sunday, 06 May, 2018 - 08:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That’s fantastic Omar.

If you open the back and turn the small pinion, does the back hand and dials advance?

Who did you inherit it from mate?
Must have been someone who likes nice things such as this is.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 03:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes they do.
Also the outer gear makes the months move on the same face too. Finally the outer dial with the days can also be moved.

Still no matter how much I look at this masterpiece of over 100 years and the skill involved in making it......out of gold..... I have to remind myself that its only worth 2000 bucks.....

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 04:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

$2000 is quite a bit for a tatty old watch! :-) Seriously, it is lovely but other than to a collector, of limited value... who wears a pocket watch these days? Hipsters might I suppose?

I have been on a serious watch buying phase just recently (Patrick I did try and send you pictures but just couldn't get it right and gave up in disgust) and so have bought (and am currently wearing) a Vostok Amphibia Kommandirskie automatic. It has been modified with a better bezel and insert but otherwise as it left the factory. Paid £70 from a chap on TZUK and seen the same watch without mods for £129 and the mods cost about £60!
It is a cracking thing: waterproof to 200 - 300 metres (I forget), screw down crown, plexi crystal and the time keeping is fantastic, better than my new Rolex as it loses or gains zero per day!
I was a tad worried when I first got it as the crown feels like it's broken when unscrewed, but apparently, that's normal!
Also bought a Breitling Super Avenger and HATE it! Far too big, really heavy and the keyless gears are playing up already so back to its maker it goes.
Bought a Daytona to replace my Sub and wish I hadn't - the Daytona feels small by comparison and is not as easy to read plus the value (?) makes me cringe, but I had always wanted one and when one came up at the AD, I had to have it. Foolishness is in my genes I fear.
I have also bought, paid for but not yet received, another Breitling this time a 'For Bentley' as it is the least displeasing of the range and, well, it's got ' Bentley' on the dial! It is coming from America and has been on its way via USPS for 10 days already, I had the e-mail today to say it has arrived at Heathrow airport so I should get to see it in about another month!

I shall try and attach pictures below.....

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 04:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No, failed again. I give up....

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 05:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar I know nothing about watches but IMO the watch is worth far more than $2,000 US dollars.
The thing works and also being made of gold with all the hours taken being made in the first place puts it in my book as a true collectors piece.

Are you at the spring auto jumble at Beaulieu on the 19th May.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 08:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
For $2000 I would be keeping it.

Get it serviced and polished and another work of art you will have in your possession.

It is a wonderful bit of kit. Enjoy it mate.

David,
You have some awesome watches, make sure you wear them all.

David Gore

Post Number: 2877
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 09:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Please email the images to me and I will put them up on the Forum for you as I do for others who do not have the facilities to edit the images for posting,

Just email them to me at:

drh14434AT{@}yahooDOT{.}comDOT{.}au

Just delete everything in CAPS and the brackets for the real address - obfuscation is to defeat the low-lifes who use Bots to trawl forums such as this for email addresses to send SPAM to.

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, 08 May, 2018 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cheers David. Will do though I was looking last night and I can't find most of them. I really am useless: I have a new phone with all sorts of fancy gizmos and every time I plug the phone into my laptop to charge, it downloads all recent pictures, which is great, but I have no idea where it's putting te flippin' images!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Wednesday, 09 May, 2018 - 04:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks for your kind words Gentlemen.
I inherited this watch from my late father and between us siblings we have another 60 or so similar watches that are never going to be used. Ideally they ought to get sold. But I dont want them to go for peanuts.

David Gore

Post Number: 2879
Posted on Wednesday, 09 May, 2018 - 17:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David Towers has sent me the following photos for posting on his behalf:

1. Vostok Watch

Vostok

2. Rolex Perpetual

Rolex

3. Tudor Prince

Tudor

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Wednesday, 09 May, 2018 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some great pieces there David.

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, 09 May, 2018 - 20:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David for posting the pictures, I would have sent some info but I had other things on my mind (bloody car!) so forgot.
The Vostok is brilliant, £70 from a member on TZUK with £60 worth of modified bezel and insert. It is a fantastic watch and keeps perfect time, neither gains nor loses at all! It is really light, clear to read and really comfortable. What is called a ;good buy' :-)

The Daytona was a watch I put my name down for years ago and always wanted. Now I am not so sure. It wears smaller than my sadly departed Sub and is not as comfortable or as easy to read.

The Tudor is a long time favourite. I bought it froma Jeweller in Brixham and probably paid too much (£600) and that was 6-7 years ago. It is 9ct gold and serviced and very reliable though not terrifically accurate which I find surprising but then, I guess it is only as good as the guy who serviced it! It is either a 'birth year' watch or very close, it is hard to find accurate information about it without taking the back off as it is not an 'Oyster' just a 'Prince automatic' and really lovely. I have actually spent a bit of time on it recently and polished the case and plexi and it looks like new... apart from the dial obviously.

I shall dig out more pictures of other interesting watches and send them to poor David to post now I know how :-)

David Gore

Post Number: 2880
Posted on Wednesday, 09 May, 2018 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Send as as many as you can - there is no limit to worry about as it takes me about 3 minutes to download each image, Photoshop it and post on the forum.

A hint when taking flash photos, try pointing the camera flash from the side rather than straight down onto the watch face to minimise the dreaded "flash back" you can see on images 1 and 3; image 2 is a good example of what is required using off-set lighting. If you take pictures without a flash using good natural light/room lighting, I can usually create a good image with the tools available in Photoshop provided the image is high resolution [300dpi or higher] and has reasonable contrast and brightness. Most times, the result is OK but miracles take a little longer and sometimes are impossible to achieve .

Some captions would be greatly appreciated to detail the features/history/past ownership etc

Chris Gillings
Prolific User

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, 09 May, 2018 - 23:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That Vostok Komandirskie Tank needs a wider strap.

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, 10 May, 2018 - 01:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It was just on an old mesh bracelet while I tried to shorten the original bracelet. I have never known links so tight! I had to resort to a proper hammer and punch after bracing the other side on a pair of pliers! I had already destroyed two pin punches and a proper pusher tool!

It is now back on its proper bracelet which is light and comfortable :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: