UK Related Registration Question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » UK Related Registration Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 643
Posted on Wednesday, 18 May, 2016 - 03:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For my friends on this forum who know about the UK DVLA system.

I used to study in the UK in the 70s and 80s and when I finished studying I took my prized Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 back to Dubai with me. The car had a personalised registration number that I had previously put on the car. Later I sold the car and it was exported from Dubai to Indonesia. The question is - have I lost the registration number now? I still have the log book and tax disc and old MOTs and have plenty evidence that I used to own the car.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Wednesday, 18 May, 2016 - 04:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar

My understanding is the plate dies with the car. This is why if you are scrapping or exporting a car i.e. taking it out of circulation, then you have to transfer the plate before you part with the car. DVLA policy is not to re-circulate plates. This is probably due to the DVLA's incomplete record of all number plates and therefore the (very small) risk of issuing duplicate plates.

It would be worth your emailing the DVLA just in case the rules are more flexible than I thought.

Have you tried a lookup of the reg to see if there is any info there?

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

Geoff

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Wednesday, 18 May, 2016 - 04:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar, If you still could own the car and you have the v5 [registration doc] and came to the Uk with it then provided it is still on the data base it will be ok.

I bought a prototype a car that was exported to Canada [1950] after testing around Europe and the UK on UK reg plates in 1950.
I returned the car to the UK in 2000 and was able to get the original number returned to it.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 392
Posted on Wednesday, 18 May, 2016 - 04:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar said he sold the car to somebody else. If you export a car and then re-import the same car, yes you will probably get the original number re-allocated to it. That's a different thing altogether.

"The question is - have I lost the registration number now?"

Yes.

"I still have the log book and tax disc and old MOTs and have plenty evidence that I used to own the car."

That won't make any difference. You don't own the car now! The number would have passed on to the next owner of the car when you sold it. The DVLA won't reissue the number to you just because you used to own the car! For instance the number could still be in circulation.

To keep a number plate you have to put it on a retention certificate before you part with the car. That costs £80 at the moment. That means you own the number outright and can tranfer it to any car in the future (even to somebody else's car).

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 644
Posted on Wednesday, 18 May, 2016 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks gents for your very helpful comments.
The registration number is not on the DVLA system Geoff. I checked using the link you gave me.

Yes I sold the car but with a Dubai registration not a UK one. The UK registration was never passed on. All that was sold was the physical car under a foreign registration.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, 18 May, 2016 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff
I checked my old reg on your link and it came up, I sold my old car to a Belgian so it was exported, could I get my old number back?
Cheers
Mike

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Wednesday, 18 May, 2016 - 20:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"I sold my old car to a Belgian so it was exported, could I get my old number back?"

Yes if you still own the car in the UK.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 491
Posted on Friday, 20 May, 2016 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I bet you are crying selling that one Omar. Really nice powerful elegant car the Mercedes Benz 300 SEL 6.3. Definitely essential for a collection or essential in any case!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 645
Posted on Friday, 20 May, 2016 - 13:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
I really miss that car - so much elegance and so much power. Amazing car.

Omar