Top secret. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Top secret. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 986
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 09:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A mate is coming over from Los Angelas to tune my engine he reckons he can get an extra 25 bhp.

I know how but i shan't reveal until the new rear tyres are shredded.

do RR do a LSD diff?

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 12:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes its called a Ford 9 inch Bob.

David Towers
Experienced User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 20:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OOOOOO! I want MORE POWER as well please! Although, it already suffers from a lack of traction in the slightest damp so maybe not a good idea...new tyres possibly better one

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 07:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I posted a reply to your request for more Power David,
But it seems to have been removed?
Anyone see it?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 09:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"I posted a reply to your request for more Power David,
But it seems to have been removed?
Anyone see it?

Patrick, I have not seen this post and certainly have not deleted it - did you remember to use the "post" button after previewing the post?

It is very easy to overlook doing this if you get sidetracked or interrupted when composing the post - been there done that.........

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 10:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
I think the Crew designers got it perfect in 65 with a peach of an engine that developed Titanic levels of torque (that is just under the levels of a 2016 LS3 equiped Holden SS) starting at just over 1,100 rpm, the perfect 1st gear ratio and then the fairly low final drive ratio of 3.08:1.
This results in almost no throttle input for a very nice rush of almost silent power. The "waftability" is truely amazing. But punch that throttle and watch out!
Even on a dry road, you will have the big fella sideways as it just shreds the tyres and the road. I crapped myself one day when I did just that by accident.
It's just amazing that those HUGE levels of torque with a very modest level of horsepower propell nearly 2.5 tonne along with such ease and at times ferocity.
It truely can scare boy racers and hoons off the lights, but will run out of legs at about 100 kph where the newer cars high level of horse power and taller gearing will really haul you in.
I am still blown away at high speed roll on power EG: between 80-90 kph and 110-130kph.
You simply can't beat high capacity, & high torque.

I have heard that simply fitting a Holley 4 barrel double pumper and a free flowing exhaust that 40-50 hp is easily achieved.

Patrick Ryan
Frequent User

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, 22 April, 2016 - 10:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Found it

Thanks David

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 995
Posted on Tuesday, 26 April, 2016 - 09:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The exhaust is part of the work.but the SUs are staying

its the acceleration from 20 to 70mph tat i am interested in

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, 26 April, 2016 - 14:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Totally agree with you here Robert.
There isn't much going that beats the big Shadow off the mark.
Bye the way.
This is only what I had heard of people doing, NOT me

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 02:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very late SZ cars have LSD. PITA when you're skimming discs on the car :-(

Great when you turn off the traction control though :-)

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 488
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul what is this LSD I thought it was something that the hippies took can I have some

Richard.

David Gore

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 08:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Totally agree with you here Robert.
There isn't much going that beats the big Shadow off the mark.
Bye the way.
This is only what I had heard of people doing, NOT me " Patrick

With the passage of time, now the truth can be told .....

DRH14434 was fitted with the UK 9:1 compression ratio pre-emission control engine and a 2 1/4 inch exhaust system plus I had modified the T400 to stop the R-R inbuilt clutch slip for smooth imperceptible gear changes to improve transmission clutch life. I could achieve smooth changes by "feathering" the accelerator when the gear change was about to occur however when "flat to the floor" you could feel the immediate clutch take up and I would get wheel spin at each gear change with a satisfying chirp from the tyres. I managed to upset quite a few rev heads who never expected a R-R to out-accelerate them. I also increased the static ignition timing slightly [cannot remember what it was but probably around 1 deg using the old-fashioned method of advancing the timing until the engine began to ping under acceleration then backing the setting off to halfway between the factory 6 deg BTDC and the setting giving the onset of pinging - no knock sensors in 1973 to protect the engine from over-zealous tuning!!]

The transmission modification to eliminate clutch slip is detailed in the B & M T400 overhaul kit instruction manual and simply involves removing several components from the valve body to allow fluid to get to the clutch piston quickly and at full pressure. A link to the thread containing a link to Google Drive where this manual can be downloaded is below:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/17442.html

Richard: LSD = Limited Slip Differential which transfers torque between the wheels to maximise traction by reducing wheel spin on the less lightly loaded road wheel.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 491
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 08:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David you are a spoil sport I was looking forward to a bit of a high

Richard.

David Gore

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 14:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

As I understand, the effects of LSD were usually unpredictable and psychotic rather than euphoric. As a University student, I saw many instances of users having "bad trips" and post-use "flash backs" which were enough to convince me to stay on the straight and narrow non-use path.

Sounds boring to some but it has given me a rewarding life free of adverse consequences from substance abuse.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 599
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 14:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David,
I have a bucket list on my notice board at work of the things i want to do when i reach 70. The number 1 thing on the list is to try recreational smarties. It shouldn't matter all that much when i no longer have the responsibility of fatherhood duties.
I will be making a "trip" to Amsterdam on my 70th birthday for a bit of fun........
This is coming from someone who has never ever come close to anything stronger than a cigar....
Then maybe I will meet up with Bob (UK)'s friend who knows all about this sort of thing and perhaps take a lesson or two from him.
I often wonder if they are as much fun as they are cracked out to be (no pun intended this time). my fear is that it will all be a complete anticlimax. Maybe its best to just stick to beer....

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 15:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar

I made precisely the same decision when I was a teenager. I just did not want to risk blowing my brain up at that early age. I suspect Vladimir will be a good mentor when I reach the age when all caution can be thrown to the wind. (I hope I am not defaming Vladimir in this.)

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 600
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 19:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well here is a plan then... how about Geoff, Vlad and any other member of this group put a date in the diary for 2031 to get really smashed in Amsterdam.....???

David Gore

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 20:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh dear, I will be a senile old man of 83 by 2031; can we make it a little earlier?

Perhaps my role will have to be that of a "get you out of trouble" mentor.............

Having to use my services would be a suitable acknowledgement of your having taken full advantage of the privileges of being in Amsterdam .

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 601
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2016 - 23:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Right - for the purposes of having a jolly with this fab lot of car mates - i am happy to bring the date forward for a "trial session". Does 2021 suit everyone then? Actually we should start a new thread called " Boys weekend away in Amssterdam" so we can actually make it happen.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 00:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can make 2021. 2031 - I might well be in St Clabberts by then.

Geoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYikEaOivtg

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 494
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 04:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi its ok for some of you YOUNG guys I was born in March 1942 which makes me 74 I would be a willing participant sooner rather than later I wouldn't want to be pushing a zimmer and wearing incontinent pads at the event I am just a borderline case at present.

David Gore

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 08:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

2021 is a great time for the get-together - for those of us from my part of the world; the UAE will be a great place for a stop-over to break the journey and see something of your part of the world.

This is going to be bigger than "Ben Hur" as the old saying goes.

Omar, I am trying to think of an appropriate caption for the thread that our other halves will not find disturbing if they happen to be reading over our shoulder at any time......... What happens on tour stays on tour as they say!!!!!!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 602
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 14:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear George,
The solution is simple - we will have to do two tours! one in the next year or two and another in 2021.

Dear David,
We can be crafty about this. The nearest person to Amsterdam in our little team is Benoit. So maybe we can call the thread "Benoit's Shadow II is worth seeing".... although I think we will need Benoit's consent first....

David Gore

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Even better would be for us to organise Self-Help days with Benoit Leus [Belgium] and Roderick Waite [France] who are regular contributors to our Forum and extend an open invitation to everyone. Would be a great opportunity to meet and get to know the people who help make this forum a great asset for the R-R/B world-wide community.

I think the Self-Help categorisation fits our objective perfectly.........

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 605
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 20:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well David - I am on board.
Europe is around the corner for us - in fact i am going there this weekend to have dinner with my uncle.
Why don't we set a date and see how that works?
Herding cats however is never easy - so the best thing to do is to put a list of 15 dates and get people to populate each date with a yes or no. The highest number of Yes ticks calls that date to be our meeting date.
We could also go for a tour around Brabo Rolls whilst in that area.
so - who is in?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 495
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 22:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I think that is a marvellous idea I for one am on board, What about RR/B Australian Forum European Conference 20xx

Omar thank you for considering my situation as far as my age is concerned I am looking forward to it already.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 132
Posted on Sunday, 01 May, 2016 - 04:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To all above.
Count me in
I will put myself forward as the designated driver.
We can hire a mini van/bus and I will do the driving.
Someone has to keep you guys under control, I can bring my cattle prod and we will always get to where we need to be.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 497
Posted on Sunday, 01 May, 2016 - 06:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick that's great welcome aboard hopefully you will not need the cattle prod hmmm and then again you might.

Richard.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2016 - 08:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lsd both have the same effect.

One is actually a drug for loonies and the other is for motoring loonies.

To get the lsd to cut in on a 300 BHP is a loony.