Gas central heating verses electric c... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Gas central heating verses electric central heating. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 963
Posted on Friday, 15 April, 2016 - 07:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gas boiler £600
Service every year £100
Plus radiators and maybe a pump once in while.

Electric 2 kW oil filled rad thermatic control on wheels £30
4 rads 8 kW but not all the time.
Rads can be put were ever is most convenient. 2 ft long.
Hot water Emerson heater 3kw again only on when hot water is used.

My gas boiler broke last year so as an experiment I have run electric this last winter.

The electric heating was only used for 3 months. Cost £175.

Gas comes to £140 normally.
If the boiler breaks no heating. If a electric rad breaks use spare one.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, 15 April, 2016 - 15:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Gas boiler £600"

More like: Gas Boiler & Installation £2000 - £3000

Your scheme makes a lot of sense now. Back in the old days, gas heating v electric heating was a no-brainer. Gas was always considerably cheaper than electricity and nobody in their right mind would have run electric heaters all day, unless they had no choice. You couldn't sell a house unless it had FGCH (full gas central heating).

So the electric companies brought out 'Economy 7' where they flogged off night-time electricity at a reduced cost, and you could use it to heat up a pile of bricks to heat the house the next day (whether you needed to or not).

With the rising price of energy, I often wonder whether central heating makes any sense at all these days. It makes more sense to heat the rooms you are using, and electric radiators are the obvious choice for that. They can be individually controlled automatically by time and temperature, and switched on and off as required. Even wirelessly controlled from a central control point, or from a phone.

The idea of having a central source of heat and piping it all around the house is looking increasingly archaic.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 969
Posted on Saturday, 16 April, 2016 - 08:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As far as I am concerned the gas is used for cooking. The Cooker is next to the meter. The gas line to the boiler is disconnected and capped. It doesn't get any safer than that.

I live in a 4 bed bungalow with a loft conversion. Living room,
BIG kitchen which also is a living room, wet room/toilet. 2nd bathroom with electric bubble bath and utility room. Plus workshop which is 14m x 7m. I also have a 3 ton 4 post lift with wheel free that is in Southampton on loan to a mate. It cost £500 second hand. My roof is too low but I have a lot of 18" x 8" concrete building blocks. I have space to park 20 cars and even double decker buses.

The bathrooms have under floor heating which is 1kw per bathroom. The under floor heating heats up the 20 tons of floor slab it takes 3 days to get to temp then the heater sips electric. This is supplemented by 2 x 500w towel rails.

The cost of the electric system works out much cheaper than gas. The gas may cheaper to buy. I pay £0.14 per unit of juice.
I don't economise. £175 for the cold 3 months and £400 for the other nine. Plus I get £20,a week from who ever is staying with me and £200 winter fuel allowance because I am an old git. And we are very venomous should the government mess with us old gits because we know where all the bodies are buried. F-**k around with our pensions and as old guts will bury the government. Democracy don't you know old chap. It's just not cricket. Also 2 of my sons are dossing with me I call it dossing because the dinner plates under the bed have mould growing p, I have named one Fred. The give £2500 each per year £750 from guests £200 fuel allowance. Total £5950.
I really don't care how much the electric bill is.

Gas is £50 a year.
Water and sewage £400 a year use as much as you want.
Council tax £1300 a year

My pensions are over £25,000 a year and soon I will be 65 and get another £8060 and also pension tax credit which is £6760 and my civil service pension becomes final salary type. Which adds another £21,678. Plus because I am ill and under 65 Inget statutory sick pay £5148.Total £88.324 per year. I get 5% per year from the bank. There is a legal way of maximising by carrying on working, the government pension is the not claimed and deferred with extra when it is claimed but because I am sick the statatory sick pay carries on which is increased each year. I have around £30,000 in very high risk diamond enterprise which has been doing 110% a year for the last 15 years I just roll it over, losing the lot would just be irritating, not a disaster. £30,000 was the original investment.
Plus I get about £5000 a year fixing the odd car if I can be bothered and the customer isn't rude to my wife or me.
I spend around 5 % of my income.

I paid £34,000 for the property in 1983.
And moved in on 04/ 01/1984.

According to various web sites the property is worth £600,000.

Lend us a fiver, you won't get it back because once I have my claws in to money it stays with me.

I feel sorry for poor people, I meet other OAP who are renting a home and living on what's left after rent and utilities and a bit of social welfare. I went to the welfare and they Sadie because I had more than £22,000 in savings I couldn't claim anything. However my wife who is actually not married to me because we never quite got around to in the last 45 years is entitled to £7,500 as my career. I am trying to round off my income to £100,000 a year. So I can become a £ millionaire twice over.

I am trying to beat my brother Brian who has £1.9 million. I bet him a fiver, if he wins I won't pay it, I will pat my pockets and sorry no money.

I don't actually handle money my wife Kim sorts every thing and keeps book on every last penny.

Anyway this local engineering company wants an AutoCAD technician at £30,000 a year which is £20,000 too little. I will give them 2 years to come to there senses and stop employing unqualified technicians who have never actually done the 1 year OND AutoCAD course or have an Auto CAD licence. I get the lastest Auto CAD releases for £200 if I want but I am happy with the 2002 issue. In 2 years I want £70,000 a year inflation boyo.
Also I have a vehicle idea that if I have done my home work right could make £85,000 a year.

When I come up with these money saving tips and making led lamps to save a tenner I do it for fun. Anybody on this forum who says he would rather by the RR parts only. I am absolutely happy for them. Because if I wanted I could have a new BMW Phantom for a £1000 a week on lease for 4 years. The only thing I have to pay for is the petrol but the phantom runs well on LPG and think of the money I would save driving 1000 miles a year, every penny counts because my brother is up to something with money and won't tell me. I reckon he brought 10 rental houses. That has a potential of £120k a year.
I found out whilst driving to get cheap engine oil. I saw him and he ducked behind a tree, and denied it was himself. I can read him like a book. Once I have won the bet, I am going after my sister but she has I think near 10 million. She told me at Xmas that she was short on readies so I lent her £10,000. Which she paid back in the new year. Whilst she was making the tea she left the safe open, I was in like Flynn and saw a figure with lots of zeros, but she came back before I could innocently just stroke the her dog. She bloody kicked me. I was also trying to see what her husband Basil had money wise because my sister could borrow a few million from Basil and say it's hers.

I asked my wife for a tenner to get some bits and bobs, and she only gave me £5. She always doing this I ask for a tenner and she asks what do I want a fiver for and then a two hour discussion on the virtues of parsimony . Her watch cost £15.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 292
Posted on Saturday, 16 April, 2016 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob, I am intrigued how you achieve pension tax credit on £88k income ?, This is way outside the parameters as I understand them.
Mark

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Saturday, 16 April, 2016 - 12:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If Bob can explain that one Mark will be taking on the Big 4 - lol

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 293
Posted on Saturday, 16 April, 2016 - 23:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff, been there before! Quite happy doing work in Agriculture and Food sectors these days.
Mark

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Sunday, 17 April, 2016 - 00:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a glaring mistake in Bobs post. Compound interest on a 30k principal over 15 years at 110% comes out at over 2 billion pounds.

Either Bob's a very rich man or he's made a mistake in his statement.

"compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe." - Albert Einstein

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 973
Posted on Sunday, 17 April, 2016 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I simply filled in the form sent to me.

Tax credits are not means tested.

I told the whole truth and nothing but the whole truth.
They send the money to my account.

I have put this money notionally to one side in case the buggers want it back.

The reason for the lengthily explanation is that my wife has been reading the Forum and she said that I have been giving the impression that I am running cars on a shoe string, which is disingenuous of me. She is very fussy about honesty. I didn't say any thing because felt I could be targeted, but some famous rich people post of he net without any problems. Every now and then someone tries to bite me. They don't get far before I have had them checked out. Last one told me he lived in a Spanish Villa in Parkstone Poole. The house is a run down 2 bed tatty bungalow with a large mortgage which he owes lots of arrears. He was trying to run with the big boys, and saw me as a way in. No chance because some of my mates are multi millionaires, who talk in 100s of 1000s. He thought I was talking in 100s and said " as much as that " his face dropped when the penny dropped or a million dropped.
All good fun. Also he seemed to think that another mate was poor because he doesn't have a car. He hires a Merc and driver instead. He said driving is for poor people. He has hired a car and it's sat outside all day while he plays scrabble with the driver. Then a mile drive to treat the driver to cordon blue cooking. Blue Ribbon to non snobs. He is a nice nice bloke. When I pop into see him ( useless guitar player) he try's to make me stay the night. I think he is lonely since his Wife passed on with bowel cancer. He doesn't go out with women because he's 72 and he says sex is much overrated. True.

My wallet is still firmly closed though because when I inherited
the some of the family money. My sister who is a financial master mind. Said money begats money.

My Great Grand Mother was married to an Irish Lord Beresford of Wicklow, Eire. The title lapsed in the 1920s due to all girls being born. My Sister uses the title Lady when it suits her, she's a bit pally with HRH Princess Anne who is all about horses. I fixed Anne's Scimitar closed up points don't yer know. Anne didn't even say thanks. Anne can be very rude without realising it. It must be very differcult for her being a HRH because every body expects her to be different from what she is. Anne likes Jaffa cakes like every body else and does her own cooking and washing etc. Anne doesn't have servants and just one staff who is an old School friend from Roedean public school. She wears Levi jeans and Doc Martin boots at Gymcarnas and point to point. I like horses but not any horse events.

Being a peer is no great shakes. A cousin Lord J**** B******* is a right honourable c*nt who takes stupid drugs and has f*cked his life up. I am meant to feel sorry for him, no chance because he is persona non grata. He went to the House Lords and threw his toys out of the pram. My sister is into horses and Lord J B turned up looking like a tramp smelling of urine. Princess Anne told him fu*k orf you smelly cu*t . Anne swears to reinforce the statement. Anne reinforces about every ten minutes. She does this with her mum. Her Dad encourages swearing and joins in. Philip makes me laugh he doesn't give a sh*t what he says. Big ears Chas is ok but his minders are so protective and continually cause problems using security as an excuse. The points closed up on his DB5 and what a fuss, my mate Lee from the Home Office got into trouble because Chas asked what was wrong and Chas and Lee got talking tell each other filthy jokes over a cup of tea. This happened because Alan Ball tried to kidnap Anne in Mall, just 200 yards from Buckingham Palace. Alan Ball is in Broadmoor prison nut house. He recently said he is not guilty because he was researching for a novel he is writing and the event didn't happen in 1974 but 1973 and if any body helps him he will give them £1 million from the compensation that the Queen will have to pay. What a nut job. If it had happened outside Buck house he would have been shot fatelly dead, brown bread don't yer know. The Guards weapons are loaded and it's takes milliseconds to get a round up the spout and 600 rounds a minute. They would have sprayed him with bullets and throw a bucket of water over the mess and then business as normal after tea and medals. Never fu*k the guards around because if they feel there's a problem it's kill first then a white wash enquiry a few years later when every body has forgotten the details. I find it best to away from the Royal Family because one can get ones self into an aweful pickle and besides they are German. Sax- Coberg-Gotha not Windsor is the correct surname. Barbara Windsor ? Carry on films babe. My family actually out ranks the Royal family as do most heredity peers.

I have made a mistake the 110 % is a typo and it's about 10%. The spell checker on this machine often changes words and numbers. I wrote impossible and the checker changed it to imp poser. The machine is Apple which is meant to be the best.

I wish it was 110%. And I was richer than Bill Gates or Trump.
The investment at one stage doubled in 3 months and then pulled back because there was nothing worth mining. The guy who appears to manage the investment is Nigerian which is why it's so risky.
But I have lots of dosh so it would make no difference. I like quality that is simple. My bath taps are chrome on brass not solid gold like some. I am not impressed with such rubbish.
I have an Avia watch which is Quartz and cost £49. Lovely watch, made from Inox and bullet proof, it has seen some abuse over 20 years. I change the button battery every year for reliability. Some of the houses in near by Sandbanks are going for £5 million. The buyers are mad. Because if the sea level rises 2 metres Sandbanks will disappear. The government has said that they won't save Sandbanks because it's cheaper to let it flood. Sandbanks is about 1/2.mile by 1/4 mile. Panorama Cars of Sandbanks offered £4000 for my Shadow, they were very disappointed. John Lennons Aunty Mimi used to live there and her house sold for squillions, They knocked it down and built a house which is modern ugly. Sandbanks has driven the price of my home up and up. I live in Wallisdown or Talbot Village as the snobs call it. It used to be a pig farm. Wallisdown is on the border of Bournemouth and Poole. 5 miles from the beach, 200 ft above sea level.

When I buy stuff I always bid the the shop and it's surprising how many Shops do this. My wife asked for a discount on a £400 cooker and got £50 off. Every little bit counts.

I don't give money to charities but do things like paint someone's warden assisted flat. I get the paint free from the recycle centre. Strictly wood chip wall paper and pastel shades only with gloss white wood work. I do a good job because my redecorating is fast and easy and cheap it can't really go wrong. My home is decorated like this. So if the grand children damage it. It's put right with in the hour. Ten minutes
work. Use gloss paint over felt tip pens and leave the good ones for fun, that's my decorating model. A room takes me 1 hour. I use dust sheets and move furniture to the middle of the room in pile. Every six months slash a coat of pastel emulsion. I use white and die it with dark colours to get a pastel shade. The kitchen is 4 shades of green because I didn't mix enough paint 3 times and spilt a few pints over the concrete floor.