Really Current Built-In GPS Systems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Really Current Built-In GPS Systems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2016 - 00:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Every time I read threads, whether here or elsewhere, about in-car GPS systems "of a certain age" (read: late 1990s through the mid-2000s, at a minimum) I am amazed at how insanely difficult these systems are to update and keep current. It makes me eternally grateful that none of my cars have these and I rely on a portable unit (which also has the advantage of behaving precisely the same way no matter which car I'm using).

That being said, I am wondering if anyone here has a car with the latest generation GPS where either the car itself contains a mobile internet access point or is set up to allow wireless connection to an access point at home or elsewhere? Do these systems behave much like portables in that they will simply download and install their own software and map updates either automatically or by simple user initiation?

I'm trying to think ahead to when buying a car without a built-in GPS system becomes well-nigh impossible and would like to avoid the nightmares associated with keeping even the maps in earlier technology up to date.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 918
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2016 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Built in GPS looks neat and tidy compared to stuck on the screen GPS plugged into the lighter. Apart from that no advantage. The disadvantage of built in that they do go wrong and updating can be expensive and or difficult. The built in ones that are options are 3 times the price of plug in one. Also my Garmin (£80) doesn't need to actually be in the car, It works on boats as well. The only problem is that if used with out a power source the internal battery only lasts a hour.

My Garmin should be updated but the roads don't change that much, so I don't bother. 7 years old.

A lap top can be configured as a GPS.

My phone has GPS as well.

Also paper maps do actually work quite well.

If a future car has GPS that doesn't work then this could be a bargining tool money wise. My thoughts are that when buying cars I don't buy cars with bits not working unless it's really is a bargin. And a broken GPS can cost lots to put right. However on common cars reconditioned GPS are available but still cost more than plug in. I don't think built in GPS is a must have feature in any car. A car with a broken GPS is worth less than a car with no GPS. Eventually all cars will have GPS like all new cars now have heaters.

Built in GPS also suffers from damage to LCD screen from sun. Most of the time my GPS is in a draw string bag in my coat pocket.
My wife has just told that some in built GPS won't work unless updated average price £100. Her work mate had this happen.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 919
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2016 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh forgot.

Internet connect vehicles are increasing. Trucks use the Internet to report faults and location of truck.

Eventually wi fi hot spots will mean only a lap top is needed. Some of Bournemouth is hot spotted. I have a gap between LPG tank and wheel arch in the boot where the lap top fits nice. Workshop manual on lap top plus lots of music. Tablet would also work but smaller which may or may not be better.