Virtual model railway Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Virtual model railway « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 871
Posted on Tuesday, 01 March, 2016 - 06:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had a play with a virtual model railway. Smashing fun. You can even have train wreaks.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Tuesday, 01 March, 2016 - 09:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob,

Very interested in this - would you please post details on where it can be found.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 872
Posted on Wednesday, 02 March, 2016 - 06:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

en.softonic.com

or google virtual model railway.

The soft ware I played with is not the same as the above. The above software is a free down load.

David Gore

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Wednesday, 02 March, 2016 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bob - looks very interesting, as I am using a metered mobile broadband connection at the moment while I am away from home, I will have to wait till I get home at the end of this week where I have a fixed line connection with a worthwhile data allowance.

"The soft ware I played with is not the same as the above."

Can you give me the name please so I can check it out as well. always interested in train simulators as long as they include steam engines. My son has my original Commodore 64 computer with all options and software including the original "Southern Belle" simulation which I understand was the first railway computer simulation for home computers. My son is employed in cloud computing and leaves me for dead as for as computer expertise is concerned [isn't that always the case??????].

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 875
Posted on Wednesday, 02 March, 2016 - 09:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I shall ask him asap.

I believe the soft ware was first used for design and sales tool of course someone decided to go the whole hog and not bother to build the real thing.

When my youngest was about 10 I got MS flight simulator. I told him that if he crashed too many times we would have too buy more planes from PC world.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 876
Posted on Thursday, 03 March, 2016 - 05:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The software is

Model Train Similator 2011 by Deep Silver.

It is available via Amazon and is £10. DVD.

You have to register via email.

It's German based with English translation.

Only one British loco, A4 Mallard.

Evidently the loading takes ages but the graphics are stunning.

There's something about steam that grabs me. Steam appears to have magical qualities. Compressed air just doesn't expand like steam.

David Gore

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Thursday, 03 March, 2016 - 06:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bob - will have a look at it over the weekend.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.138.60.43
Posted on Thursday, 03 March, 2016 - 18:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For steam and associated engines, consult "The Psychoanalysis of Fire" 1905.
It combines all of the 4 ancient elements. Water, earth, air and fire.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore

Post Number: 1926
Posted on Friday, 04 March, 2016 - 09:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Christopher - sounds like my kind of book.

Will see if our local library can get a copy on inter-library loan.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.80.52.28
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2016 - 01:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
It was written by Gaston Bachelard, and translated subsequently into English..

David Gore

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Sunday, 06 March, 2016 - 12:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher,

My research so far indicates this book is philosophical in nature which is not one of my interests however I will see if I can obtain a library copy to see if this is the case. Curiosity can sometimes open the most unlikely interests.

Being a "hands-on" applied scientist, my interest is in the technical and historical rather than the philosophical aspects of fire, water, air and materials as applied in the development of steam engines.

I would have little difficulty leaving the philosophical discussions to others better qualified and more experienced than myself as I am not certain whether I could make a meaningful contribution.

David Gore

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Sunday, 06 March, 2016 - 12:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

I have the original Microsoft Train Simulator which has sat in my "to do" box for the past decade due to time constraints from other responsibilities which stopped me exploring the simulation fully.

Familiarity is essential if you are to utilise the software properly.

A new developer has since taken over the Train Simulator software and has been releasing annual updates in recent years. They claim the 2016 version has superior graphics to the earlier versions:

http://train-simulator.com/

An example of what has been available from the 2015 Train Simulator version can be seen in the following YouTube video which is based on the UP "Big Boy" 4-8-8-4 locomotive [one of these, UP4014, is currently undergoing a full restoration and is scheduled to return to service around 2020]:

https://youtu.be/la761noPmyk

Historical footage of the real "Big Boys" in service may be seen on the following link being the grand finale of the steam era in the USA:

https://youtu.be/akvLweWOd0g

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 878
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 06:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did some research on the idea of virtual railways. And Hornby was the first to use such software which was for designing track layouts and it developed form there.

Fire earth wind and water have something magical about them and all forms of power has one or more of these things in
them.

I can see the psychological aspect as well. Some of the most interesting stuff turns up in weird places.

Prog Rock band Earth Wind and Fire was a manifestation of the Psychological aspects in the performance art. Also many paintings depicting these aspects as well.

It's engrained into the human psyche.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.130.236.208
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 18:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob,
Did you see the BBC4 programme about the first outings of Flying Scotsman (ex Australia and the USA)since its major overhaul, last night?

So you know the one about the gay steam train fan?

David Gore

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 08:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It also made the Channel 7/Prime network news in Australia - beautiful footage in excellent light and cold enough for the exhaust steam to condense recreating past memories when steam engines ruled the rails. I saw the Flying Scotsman when it was in Australia on several occasions and also "Pendennis Castle" during its sojourn in the Pilbara running on the Hammersley Iron railway and stored at the 7 Mile workshop facility. This engine later returned to the UK.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 978
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 18:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow! was it a Rolls Royce [steamer] made in Crewe?.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.164.119.62
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 19:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Doncaster, Yorkshire, 1923. It has 3 cylinders, the middle one fed from valve gear conjugated from the two outer cylinders. Wear and maladjustment led to the Doncaster clang, and the failure of Mallard, another Doncaster loco, after its record run.
Pendennis Castle is a GWR Loco,4 cylinders and "huge", they were built from 1923 on.

David Gore

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2016 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Wow! was it a Rolls Royce [steamer] made in Crewe?"

Patrick, this thread is in a section of the forum devoted to non R-R/B topics of possible interest to members which they may otherwise not read.

The creation of this Topic [Idler Chatter] has generated a diverse and interesting range of contributions since it was created.

Most forums I regularly visit have a section of this type which allows members to find other members with similar interests.

This thread is meeting this objective.

David Gore

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2016 - 08:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher,

The NSW Government railways designed and built the 57 and 58 class heavy freight steam locomotives which were 3 cylinder engines with Gresley conjugated valve gear. These had a characteristic "3 bricks in a bucket" sound when working hard but proved to be a maintenance nightmare and had a short service life.

http://www.australiansteam.com/5711.htm

They were replaced by the 60 class Beyer-Garratt 4-8-8-4 which performed admirably right up to the end of steam and one has just returned to the rails after being rebuilt by the ACT Division of the Australian Railways Historical Society.

http://canberrarailwaymuseum.org/beyer-garratt-6029