A Day Out in Country NSW Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » A Day Out in Country NSW « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Sunday, 03 January, 2016 - 08:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Manning Valley is one of the premium agricultural regions in NSW with a long history of cattle raising and use of stock horses due to much of the topography which is not favourable for wheeled vehicles. Each year there is a rodeo at Wingham near Taree where the locals and rodeo riders from around Australia test their skills in calf roping, steer and bull riding together with attempting to ride wild horses that have not been broken in. It is an equal opportunity competition and females compete as well as males.

The rodeo was held yesterday and the photos on the link below illustrate the action in the various events. It appears the animals were more successful than the humans however, one thing can be certain, bruises were the overall winner on the day!!!

http://www.manningrivertimes.com.au/story/3635831/wingham-sumertime-rodeo-mega-gallery/?cs=1215#slide=1

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 828
Posted on Monday, 04 January, 2016 - 00:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like to go to agriculture shows. I am particularly fond of horses and pigs. Unfortunately I can't go to any because of the risk of infection. Me not the animals. A favourite is piglet racing. I also like watching the ploughing competition and other farm machinery.

Bournemouth has been a bit wet due to hurricane Frank. We caught the tail end of it. The temperature is about 12c so at least it's not cold. But now the sun is out. This means no cloud cover and colder temps at night. Although it probably won't go below 5c. I only use antifreeze for corrosion protection. However wind chill has to be considered.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Monday, 04 January, 2016 - 13:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

In my youth, a country agricultural show always had a "greasy piglet" catching competition for the children where a piglet was coated in soap and turned loose in the main ring which was always filled with optimistic kids hoping to be the one who caught the piglet and won the prize.

Much hilarity ensued as the piglet wriggled and squirmed to escape the hopeful captors as the winner had to carry the piglet to the show officials to claim the prize. More often than not, the piglet could not be caught and held long enough to meet this condition.

Unfortunately, the "greasy piglet" catching competition is now a memory as city-based animal "experts" claimed it was cruel to piglets and achieved a ban on animal welfare grounds. As far as I am concerned and in my experience as one of those kids, the piglet's welfare was not a concern but the welfare of the kids who "came a cropper"* trying to catch and hold the pig certainly was worthy of consideration.

* "came a cropper" - country slang for a bad fall, collision and/or injury to a person. Originally used to describe a fall from a horse.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 829
Posted on Tuesday, 05 January, 2016 - 09:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Come or came a cropper is also used in the UK.

We have also had problems with experts who say that it's demeaning and embarrassing to piglets to paint them in racing colours with animal dye. I asked one of the piglets and it said oink. Which in piglish is a sign of approval. The piglets seem to like running around. Give the pigs a bit of fun before we kill them and eat them.

The experts seem attribute a human personna to animals.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 906
Posted on Tuesday, 05 January, 2016 - 20:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

RNR: Have you ever seen a pig with a football? You'd swear that George Best had come back!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 830
Posted on Wednesday, 06 January, 2016 - 10:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

PFA. Pig football association.

We have feral pigs in Dorset, they quickly change into wild boar. I caught a glimpse of some in Wareham forest. Best to keep away from them