A poem from the past remembered Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » A poem from the past remembered « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 398
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 00:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is a poem that my wife Margaret remembers from her school days
This great wide beautiful wonderful world
with the beautiful waters around you curled
The wonderful grass upon your breast world you are beautifully dressed
The wonderful air is over me the wonderful wind that shakes the trees it walks on the water and whirls the mills and talks to itself on top of the hills
This friendly earth how far can you go with the wheat fields that fall and the rivers that flow.

Richard.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, 12 March, 2017 - 01:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My tastes run rather more toward vulgar anapestic trimeter . . . like this;

In the Garden of Eden lay Adam,
complacently stroking his madam,
and loud was his mirth,
for on all of the Earth,
there were only two balls - and he had 'em!

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 716
Posted on Monday, 20 March, 2017 - 00:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John, good for you I had a good laugh at that, it does seem that this lot don't go in for poetry, or do they.

Richard.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, 20 March, 2017 - 16:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was interested in poetry Richard until one day at school we were studying William Wordsworth's "Ode to Daffodils". The teacher (a clergyman) asked for my opinion on what the poet was thinking when he wrote "I wandered lonely as a cloud that floats etc.," and my response was that I suspected the poet was as high as a kite at the time of writing. This resulted in my receiving a smack of a window pole across the rear of my cranium which resulted in my disinterest in poetry ever since.