Nasty results Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Nasty results « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, 28 October, 2015 - 17:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had to move a very heavy tool box the other day to get it from the shed into the Panel Van for the weekly 248 kilometre journey to buy groceries. I was straining to lift the mongrel but got a good grip on it, moved through the insect screens and into the undercover area, stumbled on the Mad Scot's engine crane and then smashed the corner of the tool box into the side of the Camargue just rear of the front passenger door.

Yes, my stupidity resulted in scratching and denting my very very rare Camargue. By the time I reached the back of the Panel Van to put the tool box down which I wished now I had dropped on my foot, I wanted to shoot myself or even a nearby defenceless animal like my cat, PussNasty, as I was in a ballistic rage but unfortunately I had no handgun within grasping range.

I posted this feeling quite embarrassed about the whole wretched affair. But I am lucky that I can do the panel work myself and that the small dent and scratch is in a panel that appears to be easy to get a panel beating dolly on although after I remove the inside panel adjacent to the rear seat I suspect I might find a side impact bar to contend with.

So I thought I would suffer this embarrassment and let you all know of the rotten event and urge you never to have or carry anything too heavy in the vicinity of your RR/B unless you are totally certain that you are not going to damage your car unless you have a pathological propensity for shelling out large amounts of loot to the many body repairers who will put their rates up through the roof once they hear about the make of car you have.

No good telling them you are on the pension or almost bankrupt because if you drive a Rolls Royce or a Bentley it is obvious you are filthy rich. It's a bit like convincing any oriental working people that you are broke if you are in their country and are a westerner -- you simply won't be believed even if you wear your prison uniform.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Wednesday, 28 October, 2015 - 19:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Know exactly how you feel - did a similar thing with DRH14434 except it was the driver's door hitting the corner of a brick wall .

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, 28 October, 2015 - 19:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi
Sorry to hear your bad luck, and heed your warning.
I think you meant fortunatly there was no hand gun nearby lol
Best wishes
Mike

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 868
Posted on Wednesday, 28 October, 2015 - 20:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wish it were that simple, but I have to leave my Shadow in a publicly accessible area as I don't have access to covered storage. It gets worse as this area has lockup garages on 3 sides used by a variety of mostly elderly drivers (guilty as charged) who might lose control of their cars even at a walking pace.

The garage that is closest used to be rented by a late middle aged gentleman with the get up and go of a tortoise and the confidence of a learner driver. Fortunately it is now used by a younger chap who arrives, every morning, on a small scooter and then drives away on a huge motorbike. In the evening this is reversed.

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, 29 October, 2015 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I did even worse and drove it through the brick wall.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.80.54.76
Posted on Thursday, 29 October, 2015 - 05:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It must be the best humorous story that I have read in yonks, shades of Gerard Hoffnung!
A neighbour has a cat called Trex.(?). (Spooner?)

(Message approved by david_gore)

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 651
Posted on Thursday, 29 October, 2015 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is the dented panel aluminium or steel. Steel is a bit easier.

I suspect the dent isn't actually that big if so a ring of heat asorbing clay such as heat ban and heat the centre and pop it out so it shrinks in on it self a quick file up to show the lows and then slap it with spoons. A hint of bondo to square it up and on with the paint.

Worst happens at sea. The longer you own the car the more likely you are to have something happen.

I know the feeling. I had a nice Rover 100 I had the rear bumper rechromed. 3 months later I reversed into a girder. I was heartbroken especially as I would have to pay more for a new one because theres only so many times a bumper can be chromed. Not matter how hard you try accidents happen.

Main thing is that you are uninjured. Seen a few mechanics with broken bones after taking a tumble into jacks and cranes. Extension leads are deadly.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 869
Posted on Thursday, 29 October, 2015 - 10:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris: Yes, it's a spoonerism. In the UK 'Trex' is a copyright name for a cooking fat. Think about that for a moment.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.80.16.90
Posted on Thursday, 29 October, 2015 - 19:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,
I know ,I know, but neither Trex or lard is much in evidence in these days of the Mediterranean diet.
When as a child, the only use for olive oil was to pour some warmed up into the ear!
Reverend Spooner, an Oxford Don, would transpose the initial letters of words, such that "Sons of toil", would emerge as "Tons of soil"!

(Message approved by david_gore)

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, 30 October, 2015 - 19:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I Like mrs Beetons cook book, olive oil used in med countries as a substitue for lard haha
Mike

Jonas TRACHSEL
Frequent User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, 30 October, 2015 - 23:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Recently I had to present GZU7, my 1932 "Baby-Rolls" to the Swiss equivalent of MOT test. As the tyres were quite worn down I fitted a set of 4 new ones. Taking off the wheel disc on one of the sidemounted spares, I slipped the C-spanner (peg in the C-spanner and hole in the big ring nut somewhat worn after more than 80 years) and smashed it onto the wing below. Result: One big, nasty dent with a scratch in the middle.
Must find a good dent presser and try to fill the scratch with a toothpick, trying to avoid repainting the whole wing.
Jonas