Lifted trucks get the last laugh Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Lifted trucks get the last laugh « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 891
Posted on Tuesday, 04 August, 2015 - 03:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've always found lifted trucks to be slightly ludicrous. The ones where the body has been lifted several feet above the axles. Well they certainly have come into their own today with the flooding here in Tampa. No roads are closed off to them. They just drive round the barriers and through the flood.

Here's how the Australians deal with the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=janfyzt4Qyk

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, 04 August, 2015 - 04:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A local guy lifted a Cherokee and it fell off a roundabout. It looked stupid.

michael vass
New User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, 11 August, 2015 - 02:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian
You got me thinking , our cars already have hydraulic suspention , could be useful to be able to raise them like a Citroen ?
also how about self lifting jacks for when they are parked up for long periods like Le Man style?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jDK6HGLNRQ
cheers
Mike

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 901
Posted on Tuesday, 11 August, 2015 - 03:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mike

That's an interesting video. It reminds me of the 52 MG YB I once bought. When I got it home I found there was a mysterious hand operated pump on the front bulkhead. What I discovered was there were two hydraulic rams at the front of the chassis and two at the back. By switching the valve you could jack up the front, the back or the entire car for tire changes. I thought it was really cool.

Took a little longer than the Le Mans cars though.

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 393
Posted on Tuesday, 11 August, 2015 - 05:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

MG YB had a system for jacking the car. It wad made by Armstrong and was called Jackall. The system could be brought after market and fitted to any car. The hand pump had a selector for each ram. Bit like built in bottle jacks.

Armstrong Sidley also used the Jackall.

These systems do turn up at auto jumbles.

But a trolley jack is better and punctures are rarer nowadays.

The white corvette appears to use high pressure gas.

The rams are about 1 " dia. Which is 0.185 square inches in cross section. For the ram to lift a corner say 600lbs. The pressure required is 3243 psi.

michael vass
New User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, 11 August, 2015 - 06:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert
I was thinking leaving it standing on jacks instead of the tyres for long periods, seems a good idea but the pressures you calculated sound frightening to me lol
cheers
Mike

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 395
Posted on Tuesday, 11 August, 2015 - 07:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thats with 1" rams go to 2" and the pressure comes down to pi rad squared = 3.142 cross section divide into 600 pounds mass 190 psi. This is more doable.

The jackall was hydraulic not pneumatic like the Corvette shown.

Pump the tyres up to 40 psi this will stop flat spots and make the car easier to push. ( oh the shame of it)

However putting the car on stands does take the load off the wheel bearings and allows the wheels to be turned by hand.

A refinement is to take the wheels off retract pads and loosen the hand brake adjustor on the caliper.

Store wheels in a row cover to keep UV out.

If you want to fit a Jackal type system I am sure someone on the web has the bits.

Caravans have scissor jacks at each corner and I use a battery drill with a socket to fit the jack screw.

Car weighs 2400 kilos. 600kg per corner.
I have a scissor jack that is rated to 1500 kg.

4 scissor jacks tucked up under each sill end both sides and a battery drill.
Check out caravan stuff because second hand these cost pennies. Check load ratings.