Small HP Work Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Small HP Work « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 417
Posted on Friday, 05 June, 2015 - 12:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I put a new shock damper on the right-front of my MGB this evening. Are there any MG fans here?

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, 05 June, 2015 - 20:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy I once had an MG Midget about forty years ago fun to drive the one I had had fierce brakes the front would lock up dramatically scared the ---t out of you.

Richard.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Grand Master
Username: lluís

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, 05 June, 2015 - 21:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I own a 1961 948cc Mk+ MG Midget and came to work with it today ;-)

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 420
Posted on Friday, 05 June, 2015 - 21:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Mom's brother had a white MGA in the early 1960s. To me, a preschooler at the time, it was the strangest thing I had ever seen. I still remember how it smelled, and I still remember the disapproval of my grandparents and the family in general: strange foreign car, not practical, what did you want with that thing? should have got a Ford, etc etc. Alas they got their wish as he was married and soon had a '64 American Motors Rambler.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 738
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2015 - 00:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy

Yes, I'm a huge fan although I have never owned one. My first experience of MGs' was traveling in a friend's 1948 MG TC. I was surprised how "tight" the car was. Hardly a rattle. I remember it was not equipped with a fuel gauge - you filled the tank when the red light came on. My friend had fitted standard house bolts to stop the suicide doors from opening. I don't think he was worried about the seat beltless passengers falling out, he was more concerned about any damage to the car if the door flew open at speed.

When I was 17, I was offered an MGA fixed head coupe by a neighbor, but he later decided not to sell, so I bought a Triumph TR3 instead. I seem to recall there was some rivalry at the time between Triumph and MG sports cars. Not for me though - I liked them all.

Geoff

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 301
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2015 - 00:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I was in my teens (that wasn't yesterday) a man in the place that I worked in had a white MGA what a lovely car that was don't see any now.

Richard.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 216
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2015 - 08:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Still have the 1970 Austin Healey Sprite IV that I bought when I was 19( 39 years ownership) . Original unrestored car in A1 condition. Also have a Midget 1500 which I keep at my home on the east coast; great round the Norfolk lanes.
Mark

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 422
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2015 - 12:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting, Mark: We are reliable long-termers, I suppose. I still have the 1951 Buick I bought for $400 in 1973-1974: 2015-1974=41 years. So far.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 805
Posted on Friday, 12 June, 2015 - 01:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Always fancied a 'B' with the Buick V8 up front, but circumstances always led me onto other automotive paths.

Ps. Shocks/dampers should always be fitted in axle pairs; never one side at a time. That is doubly important at the steering end of the car.