Tractors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Tractors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.81
Posted on Tuesday, 28 October, 2014 - 11:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Today I went to see a farmer mate about some pigs. While checking out the pigs a big lorry got bog down in mud and clag.
So we got his MF 3000 tractor and we pulled him out.

The truck weighed 30 tons and the wheels were jammed with mud. The tractor pulled it a 100 yards at 1/4 mph on tick over without any throttle no problem.

My mate said any faster and the truck might break.

The traction and power of that tractor is amazing. Later we moved the pigs into a field with brambles and the pigs loved it. I got a big smoked bacon steak.

Anybody coming up for retirement go and enjoy yourself.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 735
Posted on Thursday, 08 January, 2015 - 02:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There's an old TV clip about 'Crash for cash' cons in the UK. As part of it they were explaining just how unaffordable car insurance can be for the youngest drivers. One late teenager gets around it by only driving an old tractor. No lights, no roof, but at least he gets around in slightly more comfort than on a scooter!

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, 08 January, 2015 - 06:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's even cheaper if the tractor is a classic one. No mot or tax required. Agricultural tractors are mot exempt and if 40 years old free tax.

The grey fergy tractor club go touring in fergies. 50 miles a day. Max speed 15mph.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Thursday, 08 January, 2015 - 11:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A classic true story about the little grey fergies saving the day:

http://www.wentworth.nsw.gov.au/fergie/fiftieth.php

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/mention-fred-fergie-and-memories-will-flood-back/2006/08/27/1156617213487.html

Click on the single page view for the SMH link to read the story in full.

There is a classic photo of the Fergie being shouted a beer in the Royal Hotel for a "job well done" after the flood [the beer was then poured into the radiator]:

Fergie

You can even download a song dedicated to the "Old Grey Fergie" and the Wentworth Flood using the following link:

http://melbournescottishfiddlers.com/Downloads/OGF.mp3

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 736
Posted on Thursday, 08 January, 2015 - 22:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm afraid that's the price you pay for building on a flood plain. In the UK it's got so bad that some insurers will ask if there's been flooding within 3 kms of your property in the past 10 years. I was decline coverage as there had been, although my home sits around 100 feet higher than the highest recorded flood level!

Admittedly early last Summer we had a sudden and prolonged downpour heavier than anything I've witnessed in my life. I'd just got off a bus having taken the Shadow to my niece's for short term storage. In no more than 20 yards I was truly soaked to the skin and even my shoes were full of rainwater. By the time I got to the end of my street there was 'standing' water (on a slight slope) up to my ankles. I had no choice other than to strip off in the kitchen, shower, dry off and get dressed again.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, 12 January, 2015 - 12:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Little Grey Fergie was a great one: I have a somewhat tired example.
The story is that Harry F. had a couple thousand more or less machines sitting in Detroit with no tires and no money to buy any. Firestone would not accommodate due to their closeness with Ford. Goodyear sold him all the tires he needed and pay us when you can. So for years if you bought a Ferguson tractor it came with Goodyear tires.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.71
Posted on Thursday, 15 January, 2015 - 08:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's interesting about Ford. Henry Ford was a ruthless business man and would nail his granny to the sh#it house door if he thought he could stop competition.

This is the reason Ford in the UK was apart from the rest in the early years. Nobody could deal with them. After WW2 there was more co-operation with the rest of the UK Motor Industry. Ford still measure pistons cackhanded though.}

(Message approved by david_gore)