Australian RR Forums » Administrative Announcements  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, 11 January, 2015 - 03:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many users may have noticed ongoing changes to the Topics list in this forum over the past few days.

This is all being done as part of preparation for migration to new forum software (http://www.simplemachines.org/). This forum software - one of three excellent and largely equivalent contenders - has been chosen because there is a good chance that we can copy over all existing forum content; over 27,000 posts in our fifteen years of operation.

The data migration task is complex and difficult, requiring changes in the front and back end of this hopelessly obsolete Discusware forum. Part of the initial preparation has required rearrangement of the Topic tree such that it is only one level deep.

In all the moving and changing, issues and problems are bound to arise, for which we request your forebearance. Specifically, please be aware of the following:
* On occasions the Forum will be temporarily put into 'Maintenance Mode', during which you cannot post or search.

* Some posts may be lost or mislaid during the rearrangement. This could happen equally to very old posts and to very new ones. We apologise for any inconvenience if this happens. Lost posts may be recoverable from backup but we need to be made aware of the loss (preferably by direct message).

* Some moved pages may show old index titles and topic trees. This is an artifact only and shouldn't affect accessibility. Broken links, however, should be reported via direct message.

* All Archived posts have been returned to their main topic or thread. This is to ensure they are not left behind.

* In many instances the 'Last Poster' field is now empty in the main Topic page. This is unavoidable but doesn't indicate problems.

* The Silver Shadow topic index is now very large and occasionally will fail to fully load. When it does fail, all you can do is refresh and retry. In the new forum this and other indexes will be broken up into manageable pages.

It's difficult to estimate when the migration will complete. We're confident, though, that the wait will be well worth it.

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, 10 February, 2010 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The company that runs the hosting service for this web site preemptively decided to move the site from one server to another sometime on February 8th.

They did this with no forewarning and only notified me after the fact. Accordingly I was unable to notify users and disable posting whilst the move was in progress.

The result of the hosting company's appallingly unprofessional and autocratic behaviour is that any forum member who posted a message around the time of the move will find their posting has been lost.

Users who have lost posts and wish to redo them are welcome to. If you have lost the text of your post it can be recovered by me, or any other user who gets email copies of postings. If you require assistance in this regard please contact me directly via the forum messaging system.

I don't know about you but this incident makes me angry. It's an unforgiveable way to treat paying customers. The hosting company to blame is 'GoDaddy.com' and I will now be looking into finding a better hosting company for the RR Forums so this never happens again.

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, 20 December, 2009 - 09:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There has been a notable incidence of non-RR/B related topics raised for discussion lately. Such topics are contrary to the AU RR Forums Terms and Conditions.

All users are requested to refresh their knowledge of the T&Cs and remember that compliance is a condition of their continued use of this site.

If sufficient demand exists for a general off-topic chat-room one can be created, but the T&Cs will stand for all existing areas and all users must comply.

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, 08 August, 2006 - 09:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After posting the last message there were quite a number of email bounces for addresses that no longer exist. The user accounts for these have now been deleted.

Please keep your email address current. Accounts with inactive addresses will be deleted.

To update your details go to Edit Profile.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 393
Posted on Friday, 04 February, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ESSENTIAL READING FOR ALL

In recent times, there has been a marked deterioration in the standard and quality of contributions from some of our participants. In particular, the direct posting without moderation privilege has been particularly abused by certain posts with content intended to provoke dissent and abusive retaliation. Requests by myself for participants to respect the privileges extended to them and to refrain from posting provocative, verbose, rambling and otherwise objectionable/irrelevant material have only been partly successfull. The Club, Administrator and Moderators have done their best to give paticipants what is arguably the best R-R/B forum with open access, the ability to post information in formats other than text and a minimum of Moderator intervention/censorship. This state of affairs is now at risk due to the inconsiderate, selfish and egotistical actions of a very small minority.

The Federal Executive of the Club have now intervened and have granted the Administrator and Moderators the right to take whatever action they deem necessary to control access, change posting privileges, request editing and suspend membership for participants who are unable to meet reasonable standards and/or do not comply with requests to change their manner of participation. If we are not successful in achieving and maintaining the desired standards; the open access/immediate posting privileges could be withdrawn and, in the worst-case scenario, the forum be restricted to members only. I am sure you all will agree this outcome would be a great disappointment to us all. I trust those contributing to this situation will act more responsibly in future, proof read their posts more carefully for relevance, clarity and conciseness and above all respect the right of others to have alternative points of view regardless of legal, technical and procedural technicalities known only to "experts". Persuasion rather than dogmatic insistence/intimidation will be more informative and successful in getting others to change their point of view.

RROCA Web Site Administrator

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2003 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have users noticed the two icons at the top right of each message? The tree_s.gif and delmsg.gif? They're to Edit or Delete the message.

If you post your message and then realise it needs editing, within thirty minutes of posting you can click on the Edit button and make the necessary changes.

If you decide your post was unnecessary you can delete it altogether by clicking on the Delete icon.

I hope this information helps reduce the number of "Oops. I meant to say..." messages we've been seeing lately.