Suggestion Box Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Suggestion Box  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Forum SoftwareGlen Poolen25 2020-02-21 16:52
Archive through 27 March, 2018Vladimir Ivanovich K10 2018-03-27 05:12
Archive through 11 September, 2014Brian Vogel54 2014-09-11 00:10
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Welcome to the Suggestion Box. If you have some constructive criticism or a suggestion for this board or the RROC(A) web site, please place your message for the administrator here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2686
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 07:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Serious suggestion, update the Rules and "Netiquette" part under "Getting Started." Or, better yet, dedicate a section under Documentation for Forum Rules.

I can find nowhere that the forum rules, the overall forum rules, are documented. That really needs to occur in a single, centralized location, even if there are rules specific to certain forums under the site.

People cannot be expected to follow "unwritten rules" and even written rules not in a place where one can reference them when the situation warrants checking.

Brian

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Go to "Topics". Scroll down to "Idler Chatter" and at least the existence of limits is referenced, if not detailed, specific "rules and regulations". The broad brush strokes provide notice of limits as well as notice of the discretion of the administration to make any determination of propriety. Big deal. As noted in another thread, it is the singular generosity of the administration that makes this forum possible. Disagree if you will but it is simply polite to allow the same courtesy that you would to a host if you were visiting them in their own home.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2687
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 08:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

As a moderator at another forum I am not arguing, in any way, about the right of the RROC Australia Forums owners and moderators to do as they see fit.

At the same time, the membership on any forum, not just this one, should have some reference to what the rules are prior to joining.

I did not even know about the Idler Chatter changes until many days afterward and had to be pointed to specific posts. That is not a good way to handle forum rules, or changes to same, period. Members have a right, particularly new members, to know the standards to which they will be held. It's just that simple, and it's also conventional, too.

Brian

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 18:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The forum rules have always been available on the main page at http://au.rrforums.net/index.html.

Approval of any membership application was contingent on the applicant's declaration of having read and accepted these rules.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 20:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update to my above post: I see that the Topics page subheading Idler Chatter has been revised and one must now click on Idler Chatter to see a more detailed and comprehensive notice of the conditions and restrictions.
The link given in administrator's post above can also be found under Terms and Conditions on the main page.
Just saying...in order to clarify where the relevant data is located as it has recently changed.
Brian can verify, but I think he is simply suggesting for some sort of "attention members" post when rules are updated so that members can keep current.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2689
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 00:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An "Attention Members" broadcast post or e-mail is, to my mind, an absolute requirement when rules are changed. It's not that I think that anyone is trying "bait and switch" but it is important that people who wish to have a chance to review them.

And the content of the link noted by the Admin is exactly the sort of page I had in mind. That being said, I know I would have read it "way back when" but if you had asked me to find that now, prior to the post above, I could not have done so.

It would be a good idea to add a "Forum Rules" link to the forums main page, as this is the location from which most people would be inclined to start hunting for it for subsequent review. I have not entered these forums other than by going straight to http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/discus.pl for years now (and I consider it to be "the forums main page"). We all see the column of navigation links to the left, and most of those under the Utilities section are not even applicable to the membership at large, while the Forum Rules do apply to everyone. Adding a Forum Rules link under Documentation, for instance, if not in its own category, should not be an insurmountable task.

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 06:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A link to the Terms and Conditions has been provided at the top of the main topic page for many years. It is repeated at the bottom of that page as well, for good measure.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2692
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 06:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, I give up! I was trying to make a useful suggestion and point out that there are likely a great many who, like myself, do not visit the Topics page at all frequently.

I rely on the "Last Day" (sometimes "Last Week") search function and virtually never, ever see the Topics page.

When someone such as myself, who's been a regular here for over a decade, tells you that they had no idea where the Forum Rules were kept that should tell you something, and that something is not that I'm clueless.

Brian

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Irrespective how easily, or not easily, it is to find the terms and conditions page (which is notably different from the rules/advice contained on the Idler Chatter link page), the point that I believe is being missed is that when those terms/rules/advice are modified, it would be appropriate for that update/revision to be announced in a thread/post (including a link to the revised terms/rules page) that will be found when a member views recent posts. Otherwise they will have no idea that the contents of the terms/rules/advice page(s) have changed.
Just saying...

P.S. I am like Brian in that I frequently view the forum and try to constructively contribute ("try" being the operative word!) and almost universally simply click on the "last day" subheading to see recent posts and thus any notice of administrative revisions will be instantly found. The issue is not revisions per se but notice of revisions.
Again, just saying...

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2693
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 08:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

Just for the record, we have no argument whatsoever, just ideas running in parallel.

I previously wrote, in response to your earlier post, An "Attention Members" broadcast post or e-mail is, to my mind, an absolute requirement when rules are changed.

At the same time, and having longstanding direct involvement with forums both as a member and a moderator, it only makes sense that some direct route to said rules also be available from the page(s) from which users routinely post.

For me it's a "both are needed," situation, not either/or.

Brian

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 19:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The T&Cs state that
RR Forums may change these terms and conditions on a prospective basis by posting updated terms on this page or in relevant areas of the forum.
Nowhere does it suggest that the membership will be formally notified when these are updated.

Nevertheless I'll consider posting a notification the next time I'm obliged to reinforce the T&Cs. Judging by the last time this was needed that should be sometime around 2031.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2694
Posted on Saturday, 08 December, 2018 - 01:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The "or relevant areas of the forum" is a big, fat, important part of that. For significant changes that would mean, "So that every member who logs in or comes back for their next visit while still being logged in will be forced to view the notice."

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2939
Posted on Saturday, 24 August, 2019 - 03:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is there any way possible to increase the number of threads that will display on the "Last Day" and "Last Week" searches above 15?

I can't find anything in user settings, and every display I've used for years, including the laptop, could easily handle more than 15 fully expanded, like the 15 or fewer are when that's all that's present.

I'd love to have 25 or 30 before things are collapsed into their respective topic groups, each of which has to be expanded individually to see the actual topics themselves.

Brian

Mike Thompson
Prolific User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Friday, 13 December, 2019 - 12:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just noticed that the Suggestion Box is for compliments for the moderators. We all know that David Gore does a heck of a good job on this forum and please give him his just dues of three cheers!

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 540
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 01:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here, here.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 576
Posted on Friday, 10 January, 2020 - 23:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cheers!!!! Finally! The administration of this Forum has stepped in to keep this place on track.
I applaud you and look forward to contributing more.
Again, THANKS .

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Saturday, 11 January, 2020 - 07:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with the Administrator this time regardless of our past squabbles. Not that I never thought about modifying the Camargue or the Spirit myself. All Rolls Royce and Bentley cars are priceless regardless of their present market value or their idiosyncrasies.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Wednesday, 15 January, 2020 - 05:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I subject David Gore be made Moderator for Life.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3559
Posted on Wednesday, 15 January, 2020 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

The words of the final verse of the classic song "Hotel California" by The Eagles immediately came to mind when I read this post:

"Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
'Relax' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!"

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, 20 February, 2020 - 17:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Discussion about the Forum software has been moved to a subtopic (see above).

Jason Watson
Experienced User
Username: crikeydawn

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, 13 February, 2024 - 04:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Q for admin,

I have a 21" screen, when I log in the forums home screen fits nicely. When I post and for most posts by others it fits nicely into my screen.

Occasionally there is a post by someone that is so wide I have to scroll my screen to the right to read it. At times I have then posted after this wider formate and then my post is as wide as the previous. Hence now I have to scoll right to read it.

Is there some setting I can tag to just keep the forum within the format of a 21" screen.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: