Peking to Paris 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Non-RROCA News and Events » Peking to Paris 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeanne Eve
Experienced User
Username: jeve

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2005 - 12:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An Australian team is re-enacting the original 1907 Peking to Paris along its original route and left Beijing on May 15th in an Itala, Spyker, two Dion-Boutons and a replica three wheeler Contal,(plus a couple of back -up vehicles, trailers, ABC-TV crew and Harper Collins photographer)hoping to reach Paris on July 15th.NSW Club member John Matheson is driving the blue De Dion and his son the Contal. ABC-TV are making a three hour documentary and their publicist is keeping a diary. See www.abc.net.au/tv/pekingtoparis/ There are also some good photos on www.newsphotos.com.au when you type in; Peking to paris.Last night John rang me from Mongolia, sounding hearty and well, saying that they have been camping for the last three nights and with no roads, have been following the railway line.Been tiring with one 15 hour day but his little car is going well. Next stop is Lake Baikal in Russia. Not in the media reports is that NSW club member Henry Pang is driving John's back up vehicle - a well equipped Nissan Patrol.Will let you know when I hear more.
Cheers, Jeanne.

Moderator's Comment:
Have amended website address to make it work - well worth a visit.

(Message approved by david_gore)

(Message edited by david_gore on May 24, 2005)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 464
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2005 - 14:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jeanne and good to see an accurate recreation including using railway tracks as the road .

As usual, I will be looking forward to your stories of what happened behind the event when you get them from John.

Jeanne Eve
Experienced User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2005 - 22:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hopefully no-one will fall through the tracks pretending to be Borghese in his Itala!
Fot those in NSW, have a look at Warren Brown's weekly account in the Friday section of CarsGuide, Telegraph newspaper. The expected date in Paris is the 13th , not 15th as above.The day before Bastille Day.
This trip sounds like one mighty motoring adventure.Michael Matheson, being already a bike journalist, has begun writing his book so trust we will hear his unexpurgated stories!

Jeanne Eve
Experienced User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, 27 May, 2005 - 12:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dieter Hornig , in Beijing, found me through this forum when searching for my book in which I wrote about the P-P 1997 Motor Challenge. It now seems a doddle compared to this current adventure. Dieter has done a huge amount of work behind the scenes helping the organizers to get the P-P 2005 started in Beijing but he has been given no public credit. I urge you to click onto his automobile website http://www.elomnibus.com/50,view,261.html
His friend, Chris Gelken, anchor of BIZ China CCTV International shot the video. Dieter has given me permission to put on this link.
Will keep you all informed. Jeanne.

Jeanne Eve
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, 08 May, 2006 - 10:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The ABC-TV doco, 'Peking to Paris' will begin on Sunday, 7.30pm May 14th for the start of its four-part, one hour series on the above Peking to Paris motoring adventure. This is for NSW, not sure about interstate. John (NSW club member and driving the blue de Dion Bouton) has not seen the final product although has been told that it will be like 'reality TV'. When the ABC-TV crew accompanied them en route,various participants took turns in being wired with microphones so after a particular heated exchange, one might say to the other,'You know I was wired'. The SMH TV guide has described the TV series as'This is a stupendously stupid an endeavour as it is entertaining, a travel adventure like few others' and 'the documentary team captures the spontaneous flare-ups between members of the expedition team'. Being married to one of them (John Matheson) for over 26 years, I can envisage well what will be shown on TV!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 569
Posted on Monday, 15 May, 2006 - 12:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I watched the first episode last night and it certainly appears to have been a "Boys Own" type adventure.

The apparent lack of attention to detail in the organising especially in relation to the crossing of the Gobi Desert really shocked me especially as John Matheson already had first-hand knowledge of the route from driving it in the Phantom V yet this experience appears to have been overlooked/ignored.

John's "dummy spit" on the first day apears to be setting a precedent for lots more interesting "events" in future episodes.

I can only shudder when I think of the conditions faced by the driver ["rider"?] of the Contal replica [Michael Matheson] and the demands on his physical fitness.

(Message edited by david_gore on May 15, 2006)

Jeanne Eve
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, 17 May, 2006 - 11:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the 1997 Peking to Paris, the route entered the Gobi desert and continued towards Tibet and Nepal, whereas in 2005 the route headed into Inner Mongolia then Russia, as in original 1907 race.

Living in Australia one knows how dangerous a desert can be or even for long distance driving in modern cars, let alone vintageants. John rang me two days after that first Gobi desert incident you saw on TV and I was deeply concerned - and that was just in first day or so. Fortunately his back up vehicle with Henry P. had a compass and more importantly, headlights for illumination.

What more will happen? Wait and watch the TV series!(We haven't seen it so not sure how everything will be portrayed.)

There were sat. phones lent to participants but no-one listened to John who said they only work when cars are stationary and one needs sched times.

Re the Contal, Michael's rider, Chris, did sustain back problems later on route. Horribly uncomfortable.
Cheers, Jeanne

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: