Please rescue this Shadow Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » For Sale & Wanted (No traders, please) » Past Ads » Please rescue this Shadow « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, 23 June, 2004 - 09:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In Canberra we have a 'running' 1969 Shadow that for the average owner would be BER (beyond economical repair. The obvious bottomless pit are the hydraulics and brakes, the steering box is iffy but the engine and 4 speed transmission are apparenlty ok. The car has a chronic saggy bum but the interior is good as is the paintwork with the exception of the sills which appear a bit boggy. The car will have to be trailered to its next home which I hope will not be a wreckers yard. It must be worth something to someone. Please consider and let me know!

Jon Rothwell
New User
Username: jon_rothwell

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 23 June, 2004 - 19:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like the sort of car I love, what is the price, and can it be driven onto a car transporter?

James Aitken
Yet to post message
Username: james_a

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 23 June, 2004 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jon, you may (stress MAY) have a fight on your hands for this one. I really was not ready to buy my first Rolls Royce just yet, but if this one is good inside and just (did I say "just"??) in need of hydraulics & mechanical attention, then I am interested. I am good at mechanicals but hopeless at interior trimming.

Bill, what's the damage to the cheque book?

Any photo's you can post?

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, 23 June, 2004 - 23:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK you guys. Let me have your email address postal address and a fax number if you have one. I'll get pics tomorow and put them on a CD. I do have an initial estimate from a repairer which is I think a fair guide.

John Dickinson
New User
Username: au2018

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, 24 June, 2004 - 13:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done Jon and James. Good to see a couple of chaps prepared to give a new lease of life to a Silver Shadow needing TLC. I would gladly enter the bidding if I had garage floor space to do the work but, alas, such is not the case. I've had email chat with both of you and know the vehicle would be going to a good home (in either case).

James Aitken
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 24 June, 2004 - 14:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks John.

Bill, I've sent you a private message with my contact details.

Being an earlier Shadow, does it have the self-leveling suspension on the front?
Have the diff brace, the pitman arm and the pre-complient front bushes been upgraded in its history?
How did it come to be in such a sad state - and I am not referring to the A.C.T. -(ie please tell me something about its history)?
Are there any delivery papers and service records available?
Do you mind me asking so many questions?

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, 25 June, 2004 - 17:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James, You are not in the register so I suspect you are pretty much a newbie. The current estimate with labour to get the car roadworthy is of the order of $14,000 - hence the offer. If anybody were to buy the car to restore it they would have to be able to do most of the work themselves unless they want to have their name inscribed on the portals of the Mechanics Institute! I now have a CD of pictures taken of the car which I am happy to send you. The interior is actually quite good complete with tools book wool overlays etc. Call me on 02 62965893 since I haven't got your email which probably went to cavacharles. This was buried after the three hundreth and tenth offer to enlarge my organ of generation. Now I have a problem my tailor can't accomodate!!! Bah - read Chris G's rave about spam - I'll carry the banner if we ever get to protesting!!!

James Aitken
Experienced User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, 28 June, 2004 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

Have hammer & chisel in hand - just point me to them portals! Perhaps it might be easier if I swap them for my whitworth/AF spanner sets and a few "good" technical manuals?

Just checking - Did you get my email Saturday through the amassing pile of spam?

Re the enlarging stuff - with the cold weather we've been having in Brissy lately I would suggest nature will sort things out itself in a few months anyhow - why pay for it? Is this thread degenerating?

James

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, 02 September, 2004 - 10:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bill
I must ask, has it gone to a good home or the breakers?
If you have pictures, please send them to me, via e-mail.
The car sounds like a mechanics dream.
Thank you and have a great day.

Brad Clinch
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.135.71.40
Posted on Wednesday, 24 November, 2004 - 07:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,
Is the Shadow still available?
If so, please email pictures (in full size please) and advise price.
Thank you.
Regards,
Brad
bradc@maduratea.com.au

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 289
Posted on Saturday, 04 December, 2004 - 22:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry for the delay Brad. Yes it went to a good home although I have heard nothing since. Two more specimens have arrived in Canberra one that beggars belief but restoration appears likely. The other is a mixture of misplaced zeal and ill informed action!