Not for the faint of Heart! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » For Sale & Wanted (No traders, please) » Not for the faint of Heart! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, 16 January, 2019 - 00:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Found on eBay ( of course)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970-ROLLS-ROYCE-Silver-Shadow-1-low-miles-project-movie-car-px-swap-ratrod-/163480977087

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Wednesday, 16 January, 2019 - 19:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wonder how the dual steer wheels would be to do a 3 point turn??

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, 16 January, 2019 - 19:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For 6 grand it looks like a reasonable buy. The brakes are easy to fix if you have experience and the spare wheels and tyres are worth a few shillings, and there are people out there who would drool over the deaths-head over-riders (EBay??).

The wheel-arch mods are not my scene but I know someone who could fix it.

Alan D.

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, 16 January, 2019 - 20:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't know. There's something to love about it just the way it is....

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, 16 January, 2019 - 23:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff, a Grand Master should not post such things on this forum, at least not under his own name. But it must handle like a supermarket trolley with those double wheels.

Alan D.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Thursday, 17 January, 2019 - 03:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Busted Jeff

Jeff Young
Grand Master

Post Number: 388
Posted on Friday, 18 January, 2019 - 06:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Where's Vladimir? He'd back me up... ;)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3110
Posted on Friday, 18 January, 2019 - 07:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

I am fairly certain he has "Gone bush"............................

Classic Australian recovery medicine for when life gets you down or you need time to think.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2748
Posted on Friday, 18 January, 2019 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Something Vladimir said to me in passing makes me believe that he found contract work that fell into the "I'd be insane if I didn't take this for the amount of money they're offering for the time needed" category, though I could be entirely wrong.

Brian, who sometimes has to scratch his head as to why certain things have been brought into existence

David Gore

Post Number: 3111
Posted on Friday, 18 January, 2019 - 13:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

You are 100% correct - the second option for "Gone Bush" is almost certainly applicable as he contemplates financing and buying the R-R he lusts for.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Friday, 18 January, 2019 - 17:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

well i dont know about you lot... but i certainly miss him

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 317
Posted on Saturday, 19 January, 2019 - 09:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Me too Omar.

David Gore

Post Number: 3112
Posted on Saturday, 19 January, 2019 - 09:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One thing we can be certain of given the current weather conditions in his part of Australia, he will not be cold.......... only problem is he is almost certain to be a long way from a pub [hotel] to cool down with a cold beer .

P.S. Patrick Ryan - temperatures in your part of Sydney recently would only be a few degrees Centigrade less than Outback Queensland right now?

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 318
Posted on Saturday, 19 January, 2019 - 11:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Legend has it that Vladimir drinks gasoline, not beer and he uses engine oil as hair lotion! I hope he's not overworking himself. I have a friend who spent a few years working in Oz and he uses the term "hard yacka" to describe hard work, is that phrase in regular use down under or did my friend make it up?

David Gore

Post Number: 3113
Posted on Saturday, 19 January, 2019 - 12:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

Yes, it is genuine although usually spelt "Yakka" and we even have a brand of work clothes called "Yakka" - great quality amd essential work wear:

https://www.hardyakka.com.au/

One of my favourite words that I try to keep alive.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 319
Posted on Sunday, 20 January, 2019 - 04:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David, I'll never ever doubt the veracity of my friends stories again!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Sunday, 20 January, 2019 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes David,

The thermometer hit 46 deg C (114.8) in my driveway Friday afternoon.
It was a shocker, plus that really harsh late afternoon sun coming in sideways, meant even a hat couldn’t even help.

We had to go to a restaurant for my granddaughters 4th, birthday, and guess what. The air cond stopped working, it was like a sauna, but she enjoyed her night, poor little thing was sweating bad, but she was all smiles.

I have just txt Vlad to see if I get a reply, I will let you all know if he does.
We love him and miss him and wish him well.

David Gore

Post Number: 3114
Posted on Sunday, 20 January, 2019 - 07:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

Any time you need a verification, just ask, I am a great supporter of keeping our language alive especially examples such as "yakka" [hard work] sourced from the language of the original custodians of our continent.

Subsequent comment regarding Australian history deleted by me with serious reservations.

David Balfour
Prolific User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, 20 January, 2019 - 08:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, This is NO place for political rhetoric!

David Gore

Post Number: 3115
Posted on Sunday, 20 January, 2019 - 12:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

This is a matter above politics and there are members of all political parties who hold opposing views on this subject.

However, you obviously hold different views to me and come from a different life experience to me with regard to freedom of expression and concern for the rights of others.

As this was a side comment outside Idler Chatter, I have deleted my comment.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2750
Posted on Sunday, 20 January, 2019 - 12:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr. Gore,

I support your previous post, and would also note that this precise sort of "Found on eBay" post, although traditionally placed under "For Sale and Wanted," really is a class of Idler Chatter.

There are things found on eBay that someone might post here because there could be serious interest with regard to purchasing. Others, and there have been several like this recently, are for a form of perverse amusement.

Brian

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 919
Posted on Monday, 21 January, 2019 - 02:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some people shouldn't have power tools, every civilized person knows that the skulls are supposed to be centered on the vents.

Despicable.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Monday, 21 January, 2019 - 05:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
Your original post was interesting enlightening and worthy of being kept. You are well respected within this community.
Omar

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, 21 January, 2019 - 05:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dammit, the post was deleted before I had the opportunity to read it. I'm disappointed that I missed something that could be regarded as controversial. I think there should be a new section created for the storage and retrieval of posts that have been censored. I wonder if a post by me to that effect in the suggestion box would achieve positive results!

Jeff Young
Grand Master

Post Number: 389
Posted on Monday, 21 January, 2019 - 06:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Keep the faith, David. A lot of us here in Ireland never thought we'd live to see the Good Friday agreement (and that was 20 years ago now).

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Monday, 21 January, 2019 - 06:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Re post please David.

I read it, and found nothing except interesting reading, it wasn’t political, but historical.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Monday, 21 January, 2019 - 06:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The MAIN thing here is.
This controversy has been designed to cover up Jeff’s love/lust for the 8 wheel Shadow that this post originally showed.

Still busted Jeff, and no Vlad isn’t here to back you up.
I can help though, I don’t mind it either

David Gore

Post Number: 3116
Posted on Monday, 21 January, 2019 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK - thanks for the support both public and private which I appreciate.

I didn't regard the post as political but historical as it helps readers elsewhere in the world comprehend a situation that, IN MY OPINION, does not reflect kindly on our community with regard to the original custodians of our country.

Whilst growing up, I lived in several locations with large custodian populations and went to school with their children as class mates [my father was a bank manager and we moved every 2 or 3 years thanks to bank policy].

The most relevant part of my deleted post was the comparison between New Zealand and Australia history and the subsequent significant differences that exist in the standing and relationships with the original custodians of both countries.

In my opinion. Jeff Young's comment about the Irish Good Friday Agreement is most relevant as an example of an outcome that would similarly benefit Australia.

I will leave it to our Administrator to decide if my deleted comments can be recovered and possibly reposted in a new Idler Chatter topic "Australian History". As a Moderator, I cannot retrieve deleted or accidently erased content.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, 21 January, 2019 - 09:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Would this be a bad time to introduce a discussion on the merits or otherwise of the Waitangi Agreement?!

Steve Emmott
Experienced User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, 21 January, 2019 - 16:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is this what you are looking for....

David G delete my post if not wanted please

Posted by David Gore on Sunday, 20 January, 2019 - 07:31 am:

Larry,

Any time you need a verification, just ask,

I am a great supporter of keeping our language alive especially
examples such as "yakka" [hard work] sourced from the language of the
original custodians of our continent.

Why custodians you may ask? It comes from our history where the
British invaded both Australia and New Zealand. Their invasion of New
Zealand resulted in the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840 which conferred
both benefits and rights to the Maori inhabitants. The Australian
situation is different as a Treaty has never been entered into and
technically a state of war is still in existence - there are ongoing
disputes about the rights and relationship of the aboriginal
population alongside the later arrivals and the descendants of these
arrivals. I am only a second generation of grandparents who arrived in
the early 1900's. My partner is one of the 5th generation of an early
free settler [i.e. not a convict from transportation] who arrived in

In my humble opinion, a Treaty between our original custodians similar
to the Treaty of Waitangi is long overdue and would represent a true
step forward in a long overdue reconciliation.

Unfortunately, our current state of politics is such that this is
unlikely in the short term due to the prejudices of my generation
however, in my experience, there is increasing evidence the following
generations may be more amenable to and suppoprtive of a true
reconciliation and I hope I live long enough to see this occur.

An application of our traditional ethos of "giving a fair go" [i.e.
they are being treated fairly and equally] is long overdue.

[soapbox].

David Balfour
Prolific User

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, 21 January, 2019 - 16:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just accessed my email and must say I am rather shocked and saddened at the vitriol directed toward me for pointing out that this forum is NO place for political rhetoric.

My very brief comment was not some attack on the Treaty of Waitangi or Aboriginal reconciliation, but it seems to have been interpreted that way. What I meant it to mean is that this no place for political comments, meaning this forum, which is for "things for sale", but I didn’t want to be accused of politicking myself by rattling on, so I purposely kept my comment as brief as possible to avoid being accused of that, but instead resulted in being roundly misinterpreted partly by David's attack on my values, which I left myself open to as I failed to clearly state my position.

However. since I have now been forced into the position of having to defend my 8 word comment, what prompted the comment was David’s remarks about this generation of Australians being prejudiced and thus contributing to there being no “true reconciliation”.

This somewhat fired me up, as I believe it is both untrue and unfair to the majority of Australians of this generation who are very fair and sympathetic to Aboriginal issues, and above all it falsely portrays us in a bad light to others. It is the mantra of the far political left.

Firstly, reconciliation is a complex and long-winded process that will take time to work through. Our generation has done more, and gone further than any before to try and make amends for the injustices of the past and given where we started, we have done well, so far, although we all agree there is more to do - a lot more.

Indeed, this generation has had to adapt to a level of social change from one paradigm inherited from our parents which embraced a long traditional British way of thinking and living to an entirely different approach on a raft of social and ethical issues over a very short time period. That is a level of change that perhaps no generation before us, or even ahead of us, will likely experience themselves.

My children don’t remember the time before political correctness, and they just accept that multiculturalism is normal, and that we have a “Welcome to Country” ceremony at each government and community meeting out of respect for the traditional custodians of the land, and it has all happened under our watch.

It sickens me to the back teeth when I travel overseas and people say, you Australians are all racists aren’t you? This is what they hear, not usually from others, but from us. That is how we sell ourselves, and we sell ourselves short because it is just not true.

We had a conservative Prime Minister in the very unpopular Tony Abbott who took it upon himself to spend a week living and touring amongst Aboriginal Communities in Arnhem Land, while Prime Minister, to try and grasp a better understanding of the needs of Aborigines, although he was rubbished by the left side of politics for it, his actions were a reflection of the how the conservative side feels and our generation in particular.

What other head of a national government of any political persuasion, let alone a conservative, has ever lived with an indigenous community to try and understand their issues? I believe he genuinely cared. He certainly didn’t care what others thought of him doing it, particularly from the cross benches. I admire him for that, but overall he was a failure as a PM and was rolled by Malcom Turnbull who was himself rolled with the help of Abbott later.

As if further evidence is required, Australia has recently (within the last year) voted to support gay marriage, much like Ireland, and that was heavily supported by those of our generation as well, including me.

For at least a generation, Australians have welcomed people from other cultures and have embraced migration. The concept of reconciliation with indigenous people is a newer concept but it has been well received. That is the Australia I know in 2019 and our generation have proven resilient, adaptable, informed, and fair, but not overall

Now, is this an appropriate topic for this forum? By the way, I do have a copy of David’s original post. Shall I repost it in the interest of being fair or should we now all move on?

David Balfour
Prolific User

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, 21 January, 2019 - 16:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, I was interrupted and never finished the last post - second last line.

but not overall......recognised for this.

David Gore

Post Number: 3118
Posted on Monday, 21 January, 2019 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David B,

Thank you for your follow-up comments - it is apparent we were approaching an important issue from different perspectives when we composed our respective posts.

I was looking at it from a historical perspective to try and explain to our international readers why I used the word custodians to refer to our indigenous citizens as I understand this is their preferred description for their traditional home and hunting land.

As we both know and understand, the British/European concepts of fences/gates and private land were completely alien to our indigenous residents who only referred to their lands as "country" and they used a "welcome to country" when other tribes/clans visited; the visitors responded by offering their respects to the locals' present and past elders as custodians of the land they occupied and were sharing with their visitors. Hence the widespread use today of a "Welcome to Country" by a member of the local indigeneous community at schools and public events.

Your post appeared to me to assume my comments came from a political perspective which was not my intention and one which I agree has no place in this forum. This is why I deleted my initial post with my comments - I apologise for any offence I may have given you however, this was never my intention.

My reasons for my interest are that I had personal experience in Wollongong/Port Kembla of the situation faced by European refugees from WW2 arriving in the mid-1950s and their children coming to school unable to speak English and wearing their customary unique national clothes as this was all they had to wear. There were no support services provided and the children had to face an alien culture, learn English and find a place in the school structure without any support whatsoever.

I was in a class of 46 boys and only 8 of us were native-born Australians. Their parents saw a land of opportunity where they could work hard and start a new life and the outcomes have been to our benefit in the following decades. The big difference was they assimilated into our society and did not invade our country to impose their way of life on ours. However, they have been the catalyst for changes over the years which most likely would not occurred if they had not joined us.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2751
Posted on Tuesday, 22 January, 2019 - 01:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr. Balfour, I will repeat a brief snippet of something I wrote recently, because it definitely applies here: "Side digressions happen on forums."

Thread drift, and this one now has several very, very large ones, is a reality and will never cease to happen.

Your own contributions have greatly extended the latest one, though I understand entirely the reason you legitimately felt the need to explain your position.

Had the original comment been allowed to pass, or had the issue you had with it been addressed directly in a sentence or two, the digression itself would most likely have been far more abbreviated than it has turned out to be.

It is refreshing, though, to see someone actually take ownership of the results of their own words (or lack thereof, in this case).

Brian

David Balfour
Prolific User

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, 24 January, 2019 - 00:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David G. and Mr. Vogel, Brian, I thank you both for your considerate comments and respect in regards to my very long winded, and as it turned out, overdue response. I apologise unreservedly for creating a fracas in the forum, and will attempt in future to avoid unintentionally controversial posts. I do however hope to have the odd intentional one, but it might take me a while to get my back my boyish enthusiasm for mischief. David, thank you for enlightening us all on your childhood experiences in Port Kembla. It's the experiences we have growing up which help make the adults we become. Regards all.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, 24 January, 2019 - 03:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David, I personally believe that an apology is unnecessary, you were entitled to highlight what you perceived as "political rhetoric" and your comment was qualified by an exclamation mark which indicated that it was meant to be taken lightly. I believe that world would be a mundane place without an occasional "fracas".

Jeff Young
Grand Master

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, 24 January, 2019 - 03:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agreed. I found the whole diversion quite interesting.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2752
Posted on Thursday, 24 January, 2019 - 04:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry Kavanaugh wrote, in part: "your comment was qualified by an exclamation mark which indicated that it was meant to be taken lightly."

You and I have a very different perspective about what this punctuation should be taken to mean. That's the last spin I'd ever think of putting on an exclamation mark sans some very clear context to the contrary.

Brian

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, 24 January, 2019 - 08:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, Your interpretation of the meaning of an exclamation mark is the correct one, I was mistaken and have no hesitation in admitting same. I do however personally believe that David's apology, although admirable, was not required.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: