NEW Bentley 6 Cylinder Head Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » For Sale & Wanted (No traders, please) » Past Ads » NEW Bentley 6 Cylinder Head « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon Norris
Frequent User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2005 - 18:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just noticed a BRAND NEW cylinder head on ebay, presumably for an R type if anyone is interested or in need: ebay item number 7962009818. I'm not associated with the sale at all, this is just for info.

GN.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 651
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2005 - 23:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It looks like a high compression R-Type head RE19451, but I would be suspicious as the part number is not quoted.

Beware: the head is different on a 4.25, and there are two heads for the 4.5 (RE10429 6.4:1 and RE19451 6.75:1 nominal compressions). The seller does not know that the heads are different on 4 1/4 and 4 1/2 cars which is odd.

Anyone interested should ask about the valve seats and spark plug inserts.

The asking price is high for a bare head, although it is all relative. However, to be fair, in 1980 I paid A$2,000 for a bare RE10429 head from Melbourne, secondhand but perfectly resored for corrosion and the inevitable cracks. It was an emergency, and I used it for two years before I managed to get hold of two more good RE19451s. At the time, I bought a brand new complete head (ie with valves and springs) for A$1,500, but returned it as it was for a 4 1/4. I had just started work, and was earning A$245 per week at the time, so these costs were rather high for me: imagine paying 3 months' net salary for a cylinder head ?