Wanting to buy; Silver Shadow in Sout... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » For Sale & Wanted (No traders, please) » Wanting to buy; Silver Shadow in South Australia « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Cheng
Experienced User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, 14 September, 2016 - 21:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I’m looking for a Silver Shadow variant (or early Spirit) to buy in the next few months. I would be ready to buy now, but I only have garage space for one toy at a time and I am waiting for my MGB to sell.

What I am after is a mechanically solid car with all the major items to be serviceable with known history of previous work performed. I’m not a perfectionist, and expect fair wear & tear from a 40 years old car, but my priority is definitely sound mechanicals as I plan to drive it in my wedding in late 2017.

I’d love to hear from anyone in South Australia who is selling or knows someone who may be interested in selling.

Thanks,
Jeff

Peter Dixon
Prolific User
Username: petenlinid

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, 22 November, 2016 - 10:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Jeff, I have been considering parting with my 1980 Silver Shadow (SRH40250) for a little while now. It is a vehicle that will I am sure exceed your stated purchasing criteria. I purchased her not only because of her exceptional mechanical and bodily condition but because of the colour which I just love, but acknowledge is not necessarily to every bodies taste. Please see attached. I am not in SA but over the border in Victoria. If you are at all interested let me know and I will furnish you with full history and details.
Cheers
Peter

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, 22 November, 2016 - 11:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter,
Thank you for your reply, but I have since managed to find a local car (and forgot to update this thread).

Mods; may as well delete my thread, unless there are any objections.

Peter Dixon
Prolific User

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, 22 November, 2016 - 12:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's fine, thanks for letting me know. Pity though, I will be with the car in the Mt Barker area in the next 2-3 weeks. Would have worked out well for a looksee.

Cheers
Peter

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, 22 November, 2016 - 12:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter,

Do you have any images of under bonnet, boot & interior?
Speedo reading?

Also,
What is your asking price?

Peter Dixon
Prolific User

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, 24 November, 2016 - 09:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pat, my consideration of selling the Rolls has always been very much an on and off again thing depending on mood swings. On a bad day I swear I will sell, but a funny thing happens each time I open the door and smell the leather, I change my mind. Reality is she has for various personal reasons got to go sooner or later. I have had the car for 13 years and have only driven it for 19,000ks. In the past I have been able to travel 600ks to Melbourne to have any major services and work undertaken. It is impractical for me to do that these days, so as much as I love the car she is becoming a bit of a burden and things like hydraulic fluid changes and re-gassing etc., are overdue, partly due to diminishing DIY capabilities. It has done 221,000ks but the engine which had a complete rebuild by Chellingworth’s in Perth at 162,000ks (I don’t know what happened to cause the need) and has only done 59,000ks since. In the time I have had her any major work was carried out by Bob Chapman. The interior apart from some leather cracking on the drivers seat cushion is excellent as is the carpeting etc in the boot. She was Australian landed and there is absolutely no rust anywhere. I will be posting some pics and a summary of the cars history etc. soon.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 711
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 06:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the update Peter.

Am looking forward to seeing the images.

Peter Dixon
Prolific User

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 12:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry this took so long. Just another case of procrastination.

1980 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow SRH40250 Australian landed & complianced to Winterbottom Faulls Pty. Ltd., Perth. WA. on 29th August 1980 for a prominent hotelier. The vehicle spent its life in the dry climate of WA until 2003.

I purchased it after a professional inspection which found it to be mechanically sound and rust free and subsequently brought it to the even drier climate of Mildura. This made me its second owner.

In the thirteen years I have owned it, it has never been on the road in wet conditions, and consequently it remains completely rust free. When not in use it is always garaged and covered with dust sheets. Any work required with the exception of minor servicing (grease, oil, coolant, filters etc.) has been undertaken by Rolls Royce mechanics. The most recent, preparatory to presenting for a RWC (which will be provided) is a complete overhaul of the hydraulic system, re-bushing of the LHF suspension lower control arm and renewal of rear bushes. There is little left to do.

NB the first owner of the car had it meticulously maintained by Chellingworth RR in Perth (a small mountain of receipts available). The current odometer reading is 222,558. However the engine had a total rebuild, also by Chellingworths 59,600 kilometres ago at a cost of about $29,000 in October 1998 (all receipts available) I am not aware of the cause that necessitated such action; nevertheless it is barely run in. Tyres are 75%. Battery is new. Owners manual and tool kit are in as new condition, provided. On the down side the drivers seat cushion leather has some age wear (see photo) and the drivers door spring that holds it open needs replacing.

Selling price is $28,000.SORRY ABOUT PHOTO QUALITY, BEST I COULD DO.

Peter Dixon
Prolific User

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 13:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Further to my last strangely formatted last post, I should have pointed out that the car is located in MILDURA Victoria and there is nothing wrong with the bright metal bits. The deformity is something to do with digital compression I think.

Peter, I have changed the format of your post to make it easier to read plus altering the photo layout from across the page to down the page so readers do not have to scroll across the page to see them.

The image quality is probably due to the resolution setting of the software used when you resized the photos to fit on the forum page - I always use 300dpi resolution; your images suggest a default resolution setting of around 75dpi may have been used. David

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Tuesday, 07 February, 2017 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Peter,
what a striking car and amazing colour.
I have had 3 cars in this colour so far although i only have one left now.
The official name for this colour believe it or not is "Ivory". someone was smoking something enjoyable when they chose that name for that colour. I have always referred to it as "the yellow Rolls-Royce".

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Tuesday, 07 February, 2017 - 05:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, 07 February, 2017 - 07:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A good honest late model Shadow II Peter. Just the air dam and Lucas fog lights missing. The washer bottle is an addition probably due to the the one in the wheel arch leaking. It is a chore to get to. The drivers side leather is not too far gone. Have you considered swapping the seat squabs left to right to even out the wear?

Peter Dixon
Prolific User

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, 07 February, 2017 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, thanks for fixing my Post. I am not really up to speed with digital imagery stuff.

Omar, I have always considered her to be a yellow car though my wife refers to it as primrose.

Mark, thanks for you comments. The water bottle was something I had to put on before I could get a Victorian RWC when I first bought her. That was the one and only requirement. I have always been going to have the seat recovered but just never got round to it. I was going to swap the squabs over but my wife wouldn't allow it, she considers the front passenger seat to be absolutely her domain.

Tony Taylor
New User
Username: ajt

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, 06 April, 2018 - 22:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter
I know this is 12 months later but may I ask did you sell the car?
Many thanks.

Tony Taylor
New User
Username: ajt

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, 12 April, 2018 - 16:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter
My private message email to you returned undelivered. I am at ajtay1@bigpond.com if you could reply.
Many thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: