The extra cooling capacity of LPG sys... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » The extra cooling capacity of LPG systems. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, 07 June, 2015 - 06:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An aspect of LPG systems that is not mentioned is that the vapouriser is heated by the engine's coolant.

And that the cooling system will have more coolant in it. And that the expansion of LPG ( a refridgerant ) will cool the coolant. Plus the body of the vapouriser radiates heat. To hot to touch. In very cold temps a hot water bottle on the vapouriser gets it working. Never needed in Dorset.

A treble advantage.

My pipes are flexible rubber. If I were to replace the 2 bits that run over the engine with copper further lose of heat will result. However because the vapouriser water circuit is always flowing it will delay warm up so I have not done this. Beside in UK the Shadow system std copes with ease.

However if I stick copper pipe up the rubber hoses I can make the runs straigher and better looking.

I reckon my cooling system has an extra litre for the lpg system.

Which has to be heated from cold. The warm up time is still good heater working after first mile or so.

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, 07 June, 2015 - 08:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just posted similiar info on another site.
another poster on that site said that because LPG engines run hotter the extra cooling is negated.

This why I think this forum is so good.

The posting overlooks that the extra cooling capacity is still there and for all he knows the extra cooling capacity may well exceed the extra heat.

This site has a lot of people who think that they dont need to know anything more about cars. They continually try to start stupid arguments over tech details which I know are correct because I have been on the courses and not totally learnt about cars from solely working on them which leads to huge gaps in knowledge.

I try to fill the gaps in. Bit like taking a horse to water etc.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 802
Posted on Friday, 12 June, 2015 - 00:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I believe that the commonly held theory is that any well fettled Shadow will tend to be slightly overcooled in normal circumstances in the UK. The system was designed with warmer (export) climes in mind, so it's a reasonable assumption.

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, 12 June, 2015 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The thermostat should regulate the temp as normal.
I am glad you used theory in inverted commas.