A leisurely trip to Coles at Manuka ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » A leisurely trip to Coles at Manuka on Saturday morning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3072
Posted on Saturday, 13 September, 2014 - 00:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Canberra boys are we.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRS2KTu6rQQ&feature=player_embedded

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, 13 September, 2014 - 02:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fantastic.

Regards, Nigel.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.74
Posted on Saturday, 13 September, 2014 - 05:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You won't sell many ice creams going that fast. How dare you drive that fast wearing a baseball hat. And what about using indicators.

Despite what the idiot above wrote it shows that these cars do handle because that hairpin at the top was taken at 80kph on the anchors and and back on the gas after the apex.

I know a lot of cars such as a early BMW 3 series would step out sideways. And probably spin.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Saturday, 13 September, 2014 - 06:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob,

Rev heads are commonplace in Canberra - I do not think it was filmed on a public road but rather a road that has been closed off legally or illegally. However, if it was a club-organised event, the drivers would have been wearing crash helmets.

Given the proximity of houses and if it was illegal street racing, the ACT police would have received complaints and arrived very quickly.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, 13 September, 2014 - 10:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Relax!
Filmed at the Driver Education Centre (DECA) in Shepparton Victoria. A closed circuit fully marshaled and controlled. A fantastic day had by all. Nothing that exiting happens in Canberra!

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, 13 September, 2014 - 10:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

le mans start from our first visit years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI4z9sFpPT4

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 3074
Posted on Saturday, 13 September, 2014 - 15:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Indeed, Mark, well Bentleyspotted. As you report, the day was appaently a real hoot, and the owner-drive in the video put an enormous effort into the telemetry and video production.

The 1989 Turbo R in the video is in superb condition, the only modifications being the 18" wheels and mesh grille. I have driven it a few times and it pushes all the right buttons. The owner is a real enthusiast, and a young guy who likes to have fun in safety. Having driven Bentleys as a learner-driver myself at 16 I flatter myself to think that I am of the same mould. As we grow older it is great to see the younger people take up the Marque with zest.

He is well observed driving over Commonwealth Avenue Bridge daily on the way to work. Those flashy wheels and the grille are either admired or spurned, but Canberrans cannot but notice this car regularly. Fanrastic.

In any case, the track was fully supervised and legal. I look forward to poking my Conti around the track next time.

www.bentleyspotting.com

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 3075
Posted on Saturday, 13 September, 2014 - 15:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh, I must admit that we did tweak the Turbo just a little.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 3078
Posted on Saturday, 13 September, 2014 - 19:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

By the way, I do like this one too. Even a North American can appreciate a 1989 Turbo R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ierOoMQC0Ek

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 654
Posted on Saturday, 13 September, 2014 - 21:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like the colour of the car in the first vid, but I'm not convinced that yellow alloys are other than a vile excrescence on such a fine example of the marque!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 3079
Posted on Saturday, 13 September, 2014 - 22:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To explain to those who are not Australian:

Coles. A large country-wide supermarket chain selling mainly groceries.

Manuka. Our local shopping centre near Parlaiment House in Canberra. There is a football oval there too. Manuka is a location within the suburb of Forrest and next to Griffith but not itself a suburb.

Canberra. The Capital city of Australia.

Leisurely. Anything below 160 km/h. We go to Germany to go faster than leisurely.

Turbo R. A nice Bentley with oomph.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.72
Posted on Saturday, 13 September, 2014 - 09:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

People in the UK get clink for racing on the road. We have track days for driving fast. Great fun. A few of my mate's have track day cars they are always blowing engines and gearboxes.
Fiat twin cams are my favorite they rev the nuts off them. I am surprised that they actually last that long. Most Rover V8 get thrashed by the fiats.

Next time he should wear a pin strip suit with waist coat and a bowler hat with a brief case and black umbrella. Must keep up the standards. What what.

Next month that Ford GT40 (44") kit car will be finished ready for a shake down at thruxton. If the the suspension settings I got for it are correct. The last settings were for the wrong car.
The steering geo is correct but the dampers are wrong and are away being revalved. And the roll bar blades won't turn together because the stupid bell crank is too flimsy. Plastic bell crank!!

(Message approved by david_gore)