FREEDOM OF CHOICE, RR/B, CADILLAC, WO... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » FREEDOM OF CHOICE, RR/B, CADILLAC, WOMEN AND THE GREAT WALL « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, 10 March, 2015 - 07:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OH YES JET SETTERS, HERE IN THE WEST WE HAVE FREEDOM OF CHOICE BUT I DO PREFER TO CALL A DUCK A DUCK AND SPADE A SPADE. THE AUSTRALIAN CAR MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY IS GOING THE WAY OF THE DODO. AROUND 2017 IT WILL BE NON EXISTANT IF ONE BELIEVES THE MEDIA. INDEED I HAVE THE FREE CHOICE OF PARTING WITH MY LOOT AND BUYING AN ORIGINAL MADE IN CHINA GREAT WALL AND IT'S FACINATING TO LOOK UP THE SITE "CARSALES" TO SEE HOW MANY OF THESE HIDEOUS THINGS ARE NOW FOR SALE IN GOOD USED CONDITION. BUT I DON'T WANT A GREAT WALL, I WANT THAT ARNAGE IN LONDON WITH CAMSHAFT/VALVE GEAR PROBLEMS A 2004 MODEL AT 14,000 QUID AND ITS RHD. NOW I CAN BUY THAT BUT HERE IS THE CATCH, FIRST THE GOVERNMENT HAS ITS HAND OUT FOR LOTS OF TAXES, AFTER I GET THEIR PERMISSION TO IMPORT IT THEN THERE IS THE NONSENSE OF GETTING IT TO COMPLY WITH THE AUSTRALIA DESIGN RULES. CALL ME A CONSPIRACY THEORIST IF YOU LIKE BUT IT WOULD APPEAR THAT SOMETIME BEFORE THE FALL OF THE SOVIET UNION AN AUSTRALIA EMBASSY OFFICAL KNOCKED ON THE KREMLIN DOORS AND OFFERED BIG BUCKS IF THE SOVIET MASTERS OF BUREACRACY COULD GIVE NIGHTTIME LESSONS IN MAKING LAWS, REGULATIONS, RULES, SCHEDULES THAT ONE DAY WOULD BE IN PLACE IN THE LAND OF THE KANGAROO TO MAKE CERTAIN THAT AUSTRALIANS WOULD ALWAYS BE AT THE MERCY OF THE LARGE CAR MANUFACTURERS BE THAT GM, TOYOTA OR NOW - THE GREAT WALL - A VEHICLE MADE IN A COUNTRY WHERE THE COMMUNIST PARTY IS THE ONLY PARTY AND STILL RULES ALBEIT WITH A TAD OF CAPITALIST FEVOUR THAT WOULD HAVE KARL MARX SLASHING HIS WRISTS OR AT LEAST WELL ON HIS WAY TO AN AMY WHINEHOUSE DRUG PROBLEM AND SPENDING QUIET NIGHTS SITTING PEACEFULLY ON BRIAN JONES'S GRAVE. NO RIGHT AT THE MOMENT I WANT TO BUY A CADILLAC CTS-V 6 SPEED MANUAL IN PERFECT CONDITION BLACK. FOR $40,000 USD AND 5 GRAND FREIGHT I CAN LAND THIS CAR HERE. I NEED ONE BECAUSE THE FRONT OF THE THING IS TWICE AS UGLY AS THE CAMARGUE, THE SIDE VIEW IS ALSO NASTY, THE REAR IS HOT, THE INTERIOR LOOKS SUPER COOL AND THE LITTLE MONGREL WILL HIT 192 MPH AND NOT WASTE ITS TIME GETTING THERE. IT WILL LIGHT UP THE REAR WHEELS VERY MUCHLY. THIS IS STRAIGHT OUT OF THE PACKET WITH NO MODIFICATIONS. NO - YOU CAN'T IMPORT ONE, NOT A NEW ONE OR A SECOND HAND ONE AND IF YOU CAN, IF YOU CAN FIND YOUR WAY THROUGH THE LEGISLATION THAT CONTAINS A MOUNTAIN OF PARLIMENTARY WAFFLE THEN THE GOVERNMENT WILL HAVE ITS HAND OUT FOR BIG BUCKS, SO BASICALLY TRIPLE THE 40 GRAND COST. THIS IS EVIDENCE OF THE FREEDOM OF DEMOCRACY. AND AS FOR IMPORTING A WOMAN OF YOUR CHOICE, THAT WILL BE A TAD UNDER 7 GRAND JUST FOR THE VISA APPLICATION FEE AND YOU WILL NEED TO GO THROUGH A MOUNTAIN OF PAPER WORK. BUT LETS BE FAIR. YOU CAN GO BACK TO THE TIME IN AUSTRALIA WHERE THE ONLY LEFT HAND DRIVE CAR YOU COULD REGISTER WAS A WORLD WAR 2 JEEP AND OR A CAR FROM PINE GAP (WHERE THE CIA HAD A NOT TO BE KEPT SECRET FOR TOO LONG SPY BASE COUNTERING THE EVIL SOVIET DOMINO EFFECT THAT HAD ALL THE TRUTH OF THE UNICORN )BOUGHT FROM A US SERVICEMAN. YES INDEEDY, AND THE PROHIBITION CREATED IN AUSTRALIA ON LHD CARS CREATED AN INDUSTRY THAT BUTCHERED THOUSANDS OF 1950 TO 1980S CARS. WHEN I SAY BUTCHERED I MEAN THINGS LIKE 1959 CADILLAC ELDORADOS THAT HAD A BICYCLE SPROCKET WELDED ONTO THE STEERING BOX INPUT SHAFT ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE AND A CHAIN UNSHIELDED RUNNING ACROSS THE FIREWALL TO ANOTHER BICYCLE CHAIN SPROCK WELDED TO THE STEER WHEEL SHAFT ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE. AND THATS JUST ONE EXAMPLE OF THE RESULT OF GOVERNMENTAL STUPIDITY. BUT WAIT LETS BE FAIR, NOW YES NOW BUT NOT IN 1980 CERTAINLY I HAVE A LEGALLY REGISTERED 1976 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD IN LHD WHICH I CAN DRIVE ANYWHERE IN AUSTRALIA, BECAUSE NOW JETSETTERS, THE LAWS OF KNOWN PHYSICS OF THE UNIVERSE HAVE CHANGED AND EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE A LOT MORE CARS ON THE ROAD, IT IS NOW CONSIDERED SAFE BY THE PARLIAMENTARY SWINE TO DRIVE A LEFT HAND DRIVE CAR IN A RIGHT HAND DRIVE COUNTRY. BUT WAIT IF THAT IS SO WHY CANT I IMPORT A CADILLAC CTS-V WITHOUT BEING PILLAGED FINANCIALLY. ITS LEFT HAND DRIVE JUST LIKE THE 1976 FLEETWOOD. ITS STANDARD, ITS UN-MODIFIED. WHY CANT I IMPORT THE THING WITHOUT GOVERNMENT INTEFERENCE AND TAXES THE SWEDES WOULD VOTE FOR IF ITS NOT LOADED UP INSIDE THE DOORS WITH HIGH GRADE COLOMBIAN WHITE? WHY? BECAUSE WE HAVE TO PROTECT THE AUSTRALIAN CAR MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY. NO WE DON'T ITS GOING THE WAY OF THE DODO, IT'S CROAKED, IT IS INDEED A PARROT THAT IS DECEASED OR WILL BE SHORTLY! AH YES DEMOCRACY WORKING AT IT GREATEST. WELL WHAT ABOUT A BLACK LAMBORGHINI DIABLO FOR $90,000 USD PERFECT CONDITION STRAIGHT FROM A DEALERS FLOOR IN FLORIDA. NO YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT UNLESS YOU PAY TAXES THROUGH THE NOSE AND CONVERT IT TO RIGHT HAND DRIVE BECAUSE WE HAVE TO PROTECT THE AUSTRALIAN CAR MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY AND THE SAME CAR WOULD COST YOU $300,000 HERE AND SO WE NEED THOSE TAXES TO PROTECT THE AUSTRALIAN CAR MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY. YES I AM TOTALLY CONVINCED THESE TAXES RULES AND REGULATIONS ARE TOTALLY JUSTIFIED AND THAT IS WHY I AM LOOKING AT A LOCKABLE SHED SOMEWHERE IN THE NEVADA DESERT TO STORE CERTAIN VEHICLES. I AM TOTALLY SUPPORTIVE OF THE PRESENT SITUATION IN AUSTRALIA. NEVADA IS THE WAY TO GO AND ATTRACTIVE AMERICAN WOMEN LIKE THE AUSSIE ACCENT AND BOTH MY ARMS HEAVILY TATTOOED IN RUSSIAN LANGUAGE - GO FIGURE. I WONDER IF I SHOULD HAVE HAD THAT FOURTH COFFEE THIS MORNING.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Tuesday, 10 March, 2015 - 09:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Might I suggest you consider the following the next time you need your caffeine fix:

Caffe Vodka Valium Latte

Also, consider giving your keyboard a good blast of canned or compressed air near the shift and caps lock keys, if not all over. The only reason that upper case should work but lower case does not is that something's causing one of those two keys to be stuck. That's often a bit of dirt caught under the key in the plastic scissor mechanism of the key.

Brian

Chris Gillings
Frequent User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, 10 March, 2015 - 18:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

First he wrote without paragraphs.

Then he SHOUTED A LOT.

Is there any wonder I cannot read anything Vladimir writes?

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 767
Posted on Tuesday, 10 March, 2015 - 20:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You really should, Chris. His rantings make quite a bit of sense - for a mad Russkie, that is!

In the UK I can buy just about any Japanese car I like which will almost certainly have been built (or merely assembled) here. But if I want to import a car from anywhere in the world I will have to pay import duties on it, with 20% VAT on the whole lot including my personal shipping costs! Any of the large Yank pickups with the stupidly large engines cost, in the US, around $30,000 to $35,000, but after import duties, etc. I'd be looking at a total bill of £35,000 to £40,000 for a left hand drive car in a right hand drive country! It's no better from the EU despite the alleged 'free flow of goods and peoples between member states' as enshrined in The Treaty of Rome, which outlines the basic principles of the EU.

Nobody claims that these taxes are a form of protectionism as it's been unlawful here for generations. It wasn't until we joined the EU that it became legal again. Not to protect jobs, but to protect the 'exclusivity' of certain fashion items such as handbags, shoes, female couture, perfumes, etc. at retail levels. Some of this makes sense. eg. Only fizzy wine from the Champagne region of France can be called 'Champagne'; only pork pies made within a few miles of Melton Mowbray in the UK can be given the name 'Melton Mowbray'; only whisky distilled in Scotland can be called 'Scotch Whisky'. If it says it on the tin it has to have it in the tin!

Back to cars: My first Yank tank was a US made Jeep Grand Cherokee. It had been bought new in the US and used by the owner for around 6 months in Canada before being shipped over to the UK. As it was no longer considered to be 'new' the import duties were lowered significantly. So much that, including the professional right hand drive conversion, he saved money compared to the equivalent new car price in the UK. How this compares to Oz duties I have no idea. My current one is still in LHD configuration and cost so little I'm embarrassed to reveal the price. It's a Dodge Ram B250 Dayvan with the baby(!) 3.9 litre injected V6 cast iron lump. Since the apparent import date indicates that it was already 10 years old at the time I'm sure that someone avoided a boat load of duties.

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, 10 March, 2015 - 23:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Consider giving your keyboard a good blast of canned or compressed air near the shift and caps lock keys, if not all over."

Yes, hopefully that will fix your 'New Paragraph' key as well. A solid block of text over 2 feet long is just too much like hard work to read.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 452
Posted on Wednesday, 11 March, 2015 - 04:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is my take on things:
Anything Vladimir writes; whether it is in any font or script or set-up is worth the read. There is always plenty of humour and irony and sometimes a few technical gems. So guys, put up with the the caps lock - trust me its worth it.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 652
Posted on Wednesday, 11 March, 2015 - 05:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Omar. However if Vladimir could repair his keyboard it would make his posts even more enjoyable.

Geoff

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, 11 March, 2015 - 11:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WELL I WOULD SO MUCH ENJOY SOME CRITICISM ABOUT WHAT I AM SAYING RATHER THAN THE CRITICISM ABOUT FORMAT THAT I AM USING TO DELIVER MY SCREED.

EITHER WHAT I AM SAYING IS CORRECT OR ITS NOT CORRECT.

IF SOMEBODY LIKE BOB CAN ALMOST CROAK HIMSELF AND YET FIND THE TIME TO HIT HIS KEYBOARD SO SHORTLY AFTERWARDS, THEN I AM NOT DISPOSED TO WAITING UNTIL THIS KEYBOARD IS FIXED AND OR REPLACED BEFORE I HAVE MY YAP.

ITS NOT AS IF I AM DELIVERING THE MESSAGE IN RUSSIAN CRYLLIC.

HO HO WHAT FUN

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Wednesday, 11 March, 2015 - 11:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Whether or not your keyboard will produce lowercase characters, the introduction of white space such as in your immediately prior post makes things much easier to read.

We know you're not yelling. But seeing ALL CAPS again just brings up lots of "old netiquette" for a lot of us and it's hard to suppress the gut level reaction.

Brian, who could have used a caffè vodka valium latte (or twenty) today

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.121.230
Posted on Wednesday, 11 March, 2015 - 08:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can't read capitals with out reading each word. People read by phrases, often predicting the next few words.

Road signs are often written in lower case in the UK for this reason. Always Services never SERVICES.

Key boards are dirt cheap unless laptop. I turn keyboards upside down and shake then leave upside down when not using.

Store lap top flat but upside down. Probably makes no difference.

Also check the text program is not holding the caps in due to a predictive text or similar.

I the UK we are more laid back. An imported car attracts import duty based usually on ticket price, or value should the ticket price be obviously to low.

Next stage is a UK mot, £55.
£25 registration fee and registration number £10 for number plates. Then road tax.

We assume that the vehicle was made to the country of exports standards. A mot quickly shows up faults such as incorrect lights. The amount of cars privately imported is small and mainly high value.

(Message approved by david_gore)