Melbourne Motor Show 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Melbourne Motor Show 2006 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2006 - 13:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was one of the fortunate ones to be invited to inspect the new Rolls-Royce Phantom Extended Wheelbase at the Melbourne International Motorshow yesterday.
Those extra few inches make all the difference in the world and what a stately looking machine it is.
Trivett Classic were generous hosts and provided us with afternoon tea and allowed us to inspect both the Rolls-Royce Phantom and the Rolls-Royce Phantom EWB at will. Highly gratifying as we did this in full view of the poor peasantry that could only see the motorcars from behind the barriers.
We even got show bags with hard-cover catalogues, a CD on the Phantom, the EWB and 100 EX. But wait! There’s more! We also got a DVD on the building of the Phantom.

The R-R stand completely stole the show as we were surrounded by hordes of interested onlookers.
I kid you not! There were only meagre smatterings of spectators viewing the other cars on display.

About two stands further down and looking very ordinary and forlorn was the ‘Daewoo Grilled”, Maybach.

I won’t repeat the comments the dealer made about the Rolls-Royce stand, as there was absolutely no-one looking at the Maybach.

The only other stand that generated any interest was the Bentley display with the new Azure convertible, the Continental GT, the Arnage and the Flying Spur but still far less than the Phantom. The Azure, by the way had to come straight from the USA and was a left hand drive version as there are currently no more available right hand drive versions at this stage.

Trivett Classic are to be congratulated for their hospitality and I hope they receive many orders for their efforts.

Incidentally, as I drove past the Exhibition Centre later in the day in my Silver Spur, I saw the two Phantoms driving toward me and away from the centre.
They truly looked magnificent.