Normal Dents and Dings Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Normal Dents and Dings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
New User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, 28 July, 2006 - 12:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has anyone had a parking lot dent or ding? How have you handled this in the past? Can you pop minor dents out on early 80's cars?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Friday, 28 July, 2006 - 15:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Buy a Ding King set to repair minor dings and hail damage perfectly without repainting:

http://www.dingking.com/

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Wednesday, 02 August, 2006 - 06:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the UK there are mobile lads who specailise in this technic which is called small area repair technics or Smart for short.

They also do interior trim as well.

Check yellow pages or ask a used car dealer.

I have seen some good work done by Smart.

Rolls-Royce are made out of thicker steel which is not heat treated. This means that body work on Rolls-Royces is actually easier than modern cars which are thinner and heat treated making the steel harder ( or alloy) to reshape.

Incidently steel ( and alloy) has a memory for its original shape which fads in the passage of time. Meaning that if a dent is removed sooner rather than later it does make the job easier. If a panel has been dented say for 1 week it will be easier to repair than a panel that has been dented for a year. I once made a pair of panels ( in alloy for a alloy E-Type)for a car but unfortnately I made two the same hand in error because I had only just made the panel I was able to turn it inside out so I had a pair. If I had left the panel for say a month I doubt that it would have moved because in that month the alloy would have a stronger memory. The alloy still had more of memory of being a flat sheet.

(Message approved by david_gore)