Metallurgy Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Metallurgy « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Dare
Grand Master
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2005 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have recently had the top radiator hose, thermosat (top) housing outlet replaced in the R-type, for despite having an "as new" appearance during engine re-build 5 years ago, it had corroded rather quickly it would seem. I have changed my coolant 3 times since year 2000. In a reference to remanufactured S2/3 water pump impellers (U.S RROC's "Flying Lady" magazine) the author mentioned "NON corrosive aluminium". Is there such a type of Aluminium, or are some types, for whatever reason, simply more resistant to corrosion?

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2005 - 22:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John I have always assumed that that bit is the sacrificial anode of the engine akin to those fastened to ships. The theory is that these bits will rot before the main engine. Lately I have been finding the 'nozzle' from the engine to the thermostat on the early vee eights has been gobbled more than anything else.

Gordon Norris
Experienced User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2005 - 06:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
The alloy make-up will determine corrosion resistance, as well as the other electrolytically active metals in the circuit. Some bits, as suggested by Bill, are designed to be sacrificial, to corrode faster to save more expensive bits from corroding. Sometimes it's an oversight!

As for NON-corrosive aluminium - strictly speaking, it doesn't exist. It is simply all relative, with some alloys more resistant as noted above. Even stainless steel will corrode.
Hpoe this helps,

GN.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2005 - 12:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At last; every Metallurgist's dream is revealed for public scrutiny:

We spend 24 hours each day/7 days each week/52 weeks each year thinking of the alloy which will be cheap and easy to make, easy to cast/forge/machine/fabricate, easy to paint/coat/finish and above all resist wear, fatigue, heat and corrosion. A royalty of $0.01 per kilogram will give an income that would exceed Bill Gate's most optimistic dream.

The "reality stick" has been used and I am now back in the real world!!

The increased corrosion rate observed is most likely the consequence of using recycled Aluminium rather than virgin metal as the basis of the casting alloy. The incidental elements found in Aluminium scrap which has not been sorted by composition may reduce corrosion resistance in wet but not affect resistance in atmospheric environments for castings made from it.

Gordon Norris
Frequent User

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2005 - 14:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
I think Hensteethium or Unobtainium will fit the bill for your alloy requirements...

GN.

(Message edited by david_gore on March 10, 2005)

(Message edited by david_gore on March 10, 2005)

David Gore

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2005 - 13:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gordon,

The alloy "Delirium" keeps coming to mind

Regards David

PS Originally included this as a comment to your post then decided it should be on its own hence edit details above

John Dare
Grand Master

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2005 - 14:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As a young lad I can recall my machinist (Defence Dept.) father bringing home small "medicine" bottles containing "swarf" samples of various metals, each dutifully marked with the type therein. Perhaps he was attempting to steer me toward a higher paying career in metallurgy, given that he had not had the opportunity to attend University himself; periodically reminding me that the Chief Engineer (whom he held in awe) had a 4-1/4L "Bentley". I can clearly remember Duralumin (Alum. alloy) and seem to recall from "year 8" science class (the dreaded Mr.Burns) that Deterium (oxide of) was commonly known as "heavy" water. Is Delirium an alloy of both (or more) of these, and if so, what would be its likely suitability for automotive thermosat housing outlets as normally made of aluminium, which, as previously advised, can suffer from accelerated corrosion due to impurities etc.

David Gore

Post Number: 410
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2005 - 15:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Webster's Dictionary says it all:

Delirium \De*lir"i*um, n. [L., fr. delirare to rave, to wander in mind, prop., to go out of the furrow in plowing; de- + lira furrow, track; perh. akin to G. geleise track, rut, and E. last to endure.]
1. (Med.) A state in which the thoughts, expressions, and actions are wild, irregular, and incoherent; mental aberration; a roving or wandering of the mind, -- usually dependent on a fever or some other disease, and so distinguished from mania, or madness.}

Also defined by Wordnet as below:

delirium n 1: state of violent mental agitation [syn: {craze
, {frenzy}, {fury}, {hysteria}] 2: a usually brief state of excitement and mental confusion often accompanied by hallucinations.}

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2005 - 16:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With John's Deuterium (Heavy Water), we may well have to re-calculate the horsepower or kilowatts by using E=mc2 and our power to weight ratios may then be referred to as critical mass

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2005 - 16:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Crumbs Ho Hum! so that is what it is,the list is getting larger!heheeeeeeeee.

John Dare
Grand Master

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2005 - 17:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In conclusion if I may. A review of my original concern posed two questions, i.e what might cause accelerated deterioraton of an aluminium alloy and secondly, if a NON-corrosive alum. alloy was commercially available, as implied by U.S based sources. Mr. Gore kindly clarified these questions and suggested that lower grades of aluminium may have created the condition which led to my original problem. Had I not accidentally detected the corroded condition, I believe that one day, possibly miles from home, the top radiator hose would have detached (with part of the housing inside it) to result in sudden and dramatic loss of coolant. I have since established that the affected housing was one of a batch made interstate approx. 10 years ago and it is possible, if not probable, that the material used was of dubious quality. The new replacement has been sourced locally with base material from a different origin and its rate of corrosion will be closely monitored over the next few years. I hope to be able to periodically report for the benefit of others.

Gordon Norris
Frequent User

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2005 - 17:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, David, Pat, and John,
So that's why so many RR's have sagging springs...the "heavy" water in the cooling system and the "critical mass" around the wives/girlfriends derrieres all straining the suspension....sorry, I think we are all getting off the thread and David will scold us soon....

John Dare
Grand Master

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2005 - 17:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To Bill and Gordon. My most HUMBLE apologies for not mentioning (as above at 6:07) your mutual input as kindly provided on March 8/9th. Embarrassed I am.

David Gore

Post Number: 411
Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2005 - 14:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you everyone for some light-hearted humour that I am sure has brightened everyone's day. Now back to more immediate concerns.