Leather Treatment - Gliptone Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Leather Treatment - Gliptone « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
Experienced User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, 27 October, 2008 - 07:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,

Well, I received my package of Gliptone Leather Cleaner and Conditioner last week from the UK. As the weather yesterday was simply glorious, I removed the rear seat took it out to the patio and poured myself a nice glass of wine and set to work on my back seat squab.
God you would not believe the ingrained dirt in the leather. I thought my leather was pretty clean, but when I started with the cleaner, warm water and toothbrush the light lather went from white to dark grey. Yuck!
I suppose 22 years of dirt. The process was pretty hard actually, you really have to keep the leather wet and get into it with a bit of elbow grease. The results were frankly amazing. The cleaner just got all the dirt out of the grain and the difference is terrific. I then washed the seat down with a went chamois and let it dry in the sun. After about 30 mintues I applied the leather conditioner, it soaked in beautifully. Squab now back in car, the natural clean look and smell of the leather has returned and it looks marvelous. Infact so much so I will have to do the bloody back rests now.....

Amazing proiduct, thanks for the heads up on it all.

J

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Experienced User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, 27 October, 2008 - 19:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James,

Much to my surprise, the instructions sheet of gliptone leather cleaner explicitly mentions not to use water. However, just like you, from what I read in your post, when I cleaned the seats of my continental I "had" to use a bit of water to make the cleaner foam just a bit in the areas with more dirt.

I plan to clean the seats once in a while, because of their parchment colour they need it regularly. Hence my question:

Anybody knows if we did something wrong, or is it just not correct that you should not put any water in the gliptone cleaner?

On the other hand I could not agree more. The product, coupled to the scuff master and the conditioner is brilliant. I will use however a little conolly hide food, the smell of the liquid leather gliptone conditioner is a little too present for me.

Best regards

Lluís

James Feller
Experienced User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, 27 October, 2008 - 20:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Lluis,

The instructions on my Gliptone cleaner specifically state wipe laether with warm damp cloth then apply product and agitate with soft bristle nail or toothbrush for ingrained dirt. I did use quite a bit of clean warm water as this seemd to help the product work very well. Leather is pretty hardy stuff, remember it did cover a cow...
It would be pretty hard to use the cleaner without water providing the lubrication lather. Your right, it doesn't lather that much but you need the warm water, and quite a bit of it, to get the product to remove the years of hide food and dirt that's ontop of the leather surface.
The results were marvellous at any rate. As the leather in my car is parchment as well it does show dirt more clearly than darker coloured leathers. I have tan piping on my seats as well and this too has come up very well.
The hide food is a good protective cream/wax and I will put some one later but the only thing I dont like about the hide food is it tends to be sticky or stick you to the seats. I know you have to buff it once dry but for weeks I find the stuff annoying. Small price to pay for lovely interior conditioning I suppose.

J