I thought you might like to view these. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » I thought you might like to view these. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 368
Posted on Saturday, 12 July, 2008 - 02:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought you might like to view these.

How It's Made - Rolls Royce - Part1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqWUOt8qomo

How It's Made - Rolls Royce - Part2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-jl5EGr1aQ

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 811
Posted on Saturday, 12 July, 2008 - 11:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert,

At least it is better than that of the Trabant assembly line in the former East Germany as shown in the following link:

http://www.livevideo.com/media/playvideo_fs.aspx?fs=1&cid=F4B5854611D141AFA19359F36DCDC74F

The R-R/B connection is the door blocking technique used to align the door frame was not unknown at Crewe.

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 369
Posted on Saturday, 12 July, 2008 - 12:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It looks rather disturbing but I understand that it is quite an art.

In regards to the How it's made videos, it's quite a different scenario than what used to be employed in the old Crewe years. I'm not sure if the 'new way' is necessary better or not.

Time will tell I suppose.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Saturday, 12 July, 2008 - 19:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Shocking. Destroy those videos please. Kaisen never made it to Crewe. Note the special tools: RBMW35282S (one Harvey-Norman nonames clothes iron with UR36824 grime kit applied), KM4533EW (K-Mart wheel wrench and chassis tightening kit), McCulloch chain saw file to finish woodwork openings and so on. The felt pen marking of the retightened bolts is a real gem. Would you fly in an aeroplane cobbled together that way ? Is this a Reliant Phantom or a Rolls-Royce phantom Robin being glued together with Clag ?

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 370
Posted on Saturday, 12 July, 2008 - 20:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There's modern technology and 'modern technology' isn't there Richard?
Those who hadn't seen the traditional R-R way of doing things wouldn't know any different.
It is perhaps a good thing that this video was made. One can then compare critically with its ancestors.
While I have always tried to steer clear of the old cliché, “Would Henry Royce approve?”, for the simple fact that it would be grossly unfair to put words in the mouth, or thoughts in the head of a person deceased and therefore unable to respond.
I am pretty certain that Sir Henry certainly would NOT have approved; but to be fair, he probably would not have approved of any Post WWII car, particularly when they introduced the automatic transmissions; he apparently hated the idea of automatic transmissions and had some fairly heated discussions with his managers at the time.
He apparently said that an engine should be powerful enough not to require a gearbox at all should an owner not wish to have a manual shift. It wasn’t such an issue then as most owners in those days were well-healed enough to employ a chauffeur who was paid not to complain about such matters. Another thing that Royce hated was cables. He would much rather employ the use of linkages.
Both of these were used in the Cloud/S Series onward and the Automatics came into being earlier on the Silver Dawns and R Types.
We of course won’t mention what he may have thought of the ethnicity of the new custodians, will we?
I’ve gone way off topic here with my ramblings (not unusual), but although I do like the Phantom and as much as the new owners may trumpet about its heritage, it bears very little resemblance to its predecessors except for the name itself and virtually no resemblance in its building techniques either.