Rolls-Royce Replicar Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Rolls-Royce Replicar « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, 11 May, 2003 - 02:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a replicar "Rolls-Royce" based on a Chevrolet Monte Carlo currently on offer on Ebay.

The standard production car was modified by a custom builder and reportedly endorsed by GM for sale through GM dealers - somewhat surprising given GM's status as a parts supplier to R-R and the litigious climate in the US.

Perhaps a worthwhile acquisition for a collector prepared to show the car as an example of bad taste!! For more details see:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7251&item=2414679893

Chris Gillings
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 13 May, 2003 - 00:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is one truly horrible vehicle, David!

The indignities suffered by the marque are endless, it seems. Last Saturday I was driving along Pennant Hills Road when, waiting at traffic lights, I saw a Silver Spirit at the front of the queue to my left, waiting to cross my path.

What caught my eye at first was the bright yellow guards and the red bonnet. Then I saw the "golden arches" logos on the wing mirrors and my heart sank. This was evidently some form of advertising vehicle for the dreaded fast food conglomerate.

The lights changed and this monstrosity, nay, this travesty, hove into view: along the entire side was emblazoned - in "graffiti style" - the words "Bacon'n'Egg Rolls", in lurid reds, greens and yellows.

I was so stunned that I almost failed to notice I had a left-turn green arrow with traffic behind me. I can only hope that the driver saw me (in Bess) and registered my look of "shock and awe".

In hindsight I confess the wordplay is reasonably clever, and it was "M*Happy Day", after all; but it still horrifies me that such things can be even contemplated, let alone done.

Richard Treacy
Yet to post message
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 13 May, 2003 - 20:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Painted and adorned Rolls-Royces: please don't be so horrified.

These things fade away so I ignore them.

Remember the cars of Baghwan Shree Rajneesh (Spirits, Spurs), John Lennon (psychodelically coloured PVI) etc. Even Lenin of Russia had one (Silver Ghost). There was a pink Mulsanne in Sydney with plates "Bagwhan" in the 80's. Where is it now, and what colour ? Do you approve of Hong Kong's Peninsular hotel using newish but already clapped-out R-Rs as airport taxis ? I hate tired R-R's being used commercially for weddings as the unknowing come to believe they are all worn out.

Chris Gillings

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, 14 May, 2003 - 00:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am chastened and take your point, Richard, but in my defense claim to be not so horrified by the concept of personalising cars, but rather by it being done for the wrong reasons.

The Baghwan delighted in unusual, even outlandish colour schemes on his cars, granted, but they were at least reasonably sympathetic with the cars' designs. John Lennon's PVI (and a Cloud, I believe) were painted in a magnificent Romany caravan style which to my eye suits the coachwork well and is altogether pleasing (if a tad baroque). Pink Mulsannes are merely par for the course, I suspect, and Lenin's halftracked Ghost (if that's what you were referring to) is evidence to me of an astute and practical mind.

The car I saw, however, had its lines destroyed by the golden arches paintjob which was obviously intended purely to attract attention for commercial gain rather than an attempt (however misguided or lacking in taste) at personalising a treasured possession.

I suppose what it boils down to is that I assume (or expect) that people like their cars and treat them accordingly. When I am convinced that someone doesn't really like or appreciate their car - it being neglected or vulgarised - I feel I am entitled to be a little horrified for the poor beast.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, 14 May, 2003 - 13:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The following information has been posted on the RROC[USA] Open Forum in relation to the "replicar" and is reproduced here for your information with acknowledgement to the US Open Forum as the source.

"Date: 13-May-03 19:11
Author: Mark T. Dwyer

Every now and then one of these things surfaces. As described in the eBay listing, the car is called a Custom Cloud, and was "manufactured" in Florida. That it was an intentional rip-off of the Silver Cloud is obvious. There is even an interlocking CC "badge" on the radiator shell that is an equally obvious attempt to mimic the Rolls-Royce logo. All the modifications were cosmetic in nature, with fibreglass panels either replacing or being bonded over the original sheet steel. I believe the taillight units are authentic Silver Shadow items. Since the car was not altered structurally or mechanically, GM was more or less on the hook for the original vehicle manufacturer's warranty, which evidently they could not justifiably cancel. I would hardly call this "sanctioning" by GM. They went along with it reluctantly, at best. I don't know that GM was a party to the cease and desist litigation initiated by Rolls-Royce. The legal action described did in fact take place, and effectively terminated the project. One could argue that Rolls-Royce had little to fear, as it wasn't too likely to be confused with the genuine article, but the company has always been vigilant in protecting its trademarks, and by association, its reputation. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think most would agree there are very few who would consider this automotive curiosity to be beautiful. It certainly is not flattering to the original Silver Cloud standard steel saloon design, which inspired it. But at least it legitmately started life as a small-block Chevy. What I find to be just as offensive is the re-engining of Silver Shadows, or any Rolls-Royce for that matter, with Chevrolet engines. Now, I readily acknowledge that the small-block Chevy is truly a landmark design that has proven itself to be astonishingly durable, and has remained in production essentially unchanged for decades. (I have one in my 1969 Corvette. Cadillac even offered it as an option, usually as part of their trailering package, about 10 years ago.) What bothers me about seeing one under the hood of a Rolls-Royce is that the nature of the car has been perhaps irretrievably altered. This is not a simple engine swap, and by the time all is said and done, may well be more expensive than properly curing whatever was ailing the original Rolls-Royce engine. The high-pressure hydraulics for the braking system must be replaced with a conventional vacuum activated power brake system, and the level ride system will cease to function, as the source of high pressure to operate it will no longer be there. The character of the car is changed to the point where it is nothing more than a self-propelled collection of body, interior, steering, and some suspension parts. The resale values of cars so modified reflect this. They can hardly be given away to anyone who knows what they are."

An appropriate summary!!

Chris Gillings

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, 08 February, 2004 - 20:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I half-heard a story recently of a NSW Branch owner who bought a Shadow/Spirit/Spur quite cheaply because it had a frightful advertising paint job. When they got it home they got down to washing it properly and the top coat came right off, revealing the original paint beneath, unharmed.

Can anyone confirm this and give more details?

jim. cowin.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.166.57
Posted on Sunday, 11 July, 2004 - 11:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi, very interesting and a little sad to read that some people just have to try to destroy the look of what has to be the worlds most attractive car with some really bad paint jobs and sign writing. this reminds me of a rolls royce corniche convertable which is now at the national motor museum at birdwood in the adelaide hills. the former owner not only hand painted it a bright yellow but had the name of his winery displayed on it as well. to top it all of he removed the spirit of ecstacy and replaced it with a kangaroo. he also did the same paint job on his bentley ute which is also in the museum.