On on and ever onwards. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » On on and ever onwards. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, 16 February, 2005 - 07:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was startled to learn yesterday that those entrusted with the task are commissioning 3-4 new GT Bentleys per week in this country. Reports of orders amounting to 120 in hand are fairly persistent. What is to happen to these cars? And who will know how to fix them. Having had a cursory look at one of these admittedly fabulous machines it is fairly obvious that any procedure beyond oil changing and dusting the tappet cover would involve removal of the entire power plant as step 1! Unless they have a pop up body, that will be fairly daunting to all but the most enthusiastic enthusiast. And what diagnostic black boxes are needed to work out their ills? I don't imagine Rent-a-Tool down the road is going to have these on their shelves? And finally what about information on the technical aspects of the vehicle? Are we going to do the 'only duly authorised persons may have access to these documents' routine. When you think of the number of Shadows now quietly subsiding into the dirt simply for want of informed work on these cars I really wonder what the wreckers' yards are going to look like in twenty years. Fortunately it is doubtful that I will be around to comment!

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, 16 February, 2005 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh! I hope you will be Bill.
When the Shadow first came on the scene, I can remember Mechanics saying pretty much the same thing about the impossibility of working on them. They are, of course, very complex, but enthusiasts such as yourself have managed to tackle and master them. No doubt in the future someone else will too.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, 18 February, 2005 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill it lets you know when a service is due,Plug the thing in "down line" and it comunicates with the factory if i'm not mistaken.
The ecu managment system is constanly monitoring and updateing keeping the optimum parimiters through out the cars life.
It won't let you down and stop, it go's into limp mode!

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, 18 February, 2005 - 21:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I trust it goes into limp mode when it gets older like the rest of us eh Pat?