Bill Coburn... the guru... this might... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Bill Coburn... the guru... this might interest you and other members « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
Experienced User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, 28 November, 2007 - 14:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

I have spent considerable time over the last few months going through your Tee One Topics. I have recently returned from holidays in Europe and the UK. I did some investigating on my Spirits behalf for a few little items, Factory Mudflaps and a few original ignition Yale Keys and some other little bibs and bobs.
While over in the 'motherland' I was invited to tour Ian Williams operation called Montague & Co down in Surrey. Apart from the magnificent countryside down there his set-up was truely amazing. He has huge sheds with RR & Bentley wrecks in all states of disaster... even a new Arnage.. grimace, it was horrid to see. But parts/panels wise I suppose a relative smorgasboard. Plus a full RR & B workshop and dignostic service centre for cars and clients that are 'still proceeding' and the most inpressive of all was his factory spare parts shed. This was truly massive and stocked with just about everything you could name and think of. While from the outside grounds the estate/farm whatever you want to call it looks like a glorious Wind in the Willows set.
The reason I bring this up is I continually read that some parts for our cars are becoming rarer and harder to find and thus more expensive.
In my case I was quoted by Paradise Garage here in Sydney for mudflaps to fit my Spirit $380.00 per pair, meaning $760 for 4 pieces of black rubber! I thought this was a bit ridiculous and then they went and said they would have to import them as none were avaible in Australia anymore and this could be extra and take months.

I have now 4 nice new factory orginal mudflaps on my car with the RR logo in the back ones from Montague & Co. M&C sold them retail to me for 32.00 GBP per pair, ie 65 pounds for 4, even doing the exchange into Aussie pesos its hardly much, $156 AUS as opposed to what dear Mr Paradise was going to charge me....
My point is, have you heard of this guy? He has just been given access to all of Crewe's Factory Spare Parts Numbers and Records he tells me??
He does huge business around the world via his website and international couriers.
This is not a plug for him mind you,( well I suppose it is a bit..) I was just interested if he and his company are known to the RR Guru's here in Aus?

oh, also I look very much forward to meeting you too Bill at some stage? as I live in Sydney a trip to Canberra for an RR event is no issue, waiting for the calendar of events from RROCA, and I am sure my old girl would love the run.
I have often guffawed loudly at your explanations of servcing issues you have seen.

Cheers

James

Jonas TRACHSEL
Experienced User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, 28 November, 2007 - 18:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, the obvious lesson to be learnt here is: It usually pays to shop around before buying...
Thanks, James, to remind us of this (basic) wisdom.
jonas

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 936
Posted on Saturday, 01 December, 2007 - 08:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well thank you for those nice words. My apologies for not writing back earlier. James I am aware of Montagues and they have been recommended highly. There is a need to get a Bazaar list (probably the wrong word)containing details of these entrepreneurs as they are invaluable. Quite often nowadays I innocently call up our local agent and ask for a whigwam or such only to be told they no longer make them. The latest is the transducer for the 20,000 series SZ cars so we are going to be getting around without speedos soon. The Montagues of this world should keep us going I hope till someone works out how to put a unit from a Skoda into our cars!!!

If you have nothing to do tomorrow (Sunday 2 Dec) we are holding the Terribly British day gathering on the grounds of the Old Parliament House in the hope that it will be rained out (we've tried everything else.) It is 3 hours away from Sydney - come join us.

James Feller
Experienced User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, 01 December, 2007 - 17:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

Bugger, I would have loved to have wafted down but alas have an afternoon lunch with friends here tomorrow. Count me in for next time. I assume your gatherings are frequent Bill?? a bit more notice and I can certainly pop on down.
Ahh Skoda, yes I see they are just now being imported here heaven help us!
Re Montagues web site and parts order pages, I have used the RR & B parts CD and typed in the part numbers I am interested in and if they have them it comes up with price and shipping charges for new, 2nd hand and recond. I am glad to read your aware of them and I would certainly agree a list of these suppliers would be very beneficial. Yes I was very impressed with their operation and they were so 'terribly' proper in that country English way but without being snobby. The crap some people go on with who own our cars is frankly silly in my opinion.
No apologies necessary Bill, your a busy man and I just thought I would say hi, thanks for Tee One, they really are interesting and humourous reading. If I don't meet you before Xmas, have a merry and safe one and certainly in the new year when all this festive Xmas crazyness dies down I would love to head down to the nations capital for an RR event. Who knows, I might see our new 'dear little Kevin' exiting the Lodge... but that's a whole other blog.....

J