New member introduction Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » New member introduction « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Lark
Yet to post message
Username: drew

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 15 June, 2009 - 12:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone.

I'm a new member and the proud new owner of a 1973 R-R Silver Shadow. (SRH15138)

I live in the upper Blue Mountains around 120 km west of Sydney. I'm looking at joining the RROC NSW as soon as I get my NSW registration sorted out. (Ex Victorian car)

I'm very grateful for the effort put in to rrtechnical.info - it has really helped in my decision to purchase my first Rolls-Royce. I have some background with British cars and still own a 1949 and 1959 Morris Minor.

I've only had the Shadow one week and I'm searching for information on replacement filters and the like - I have lots to learn about this marque.

I'm 34 years old so that puts me out of the usual demographic for R-R&B drivers, I wonder if there are any other forumites my side of 40 years old?

Looking forward to meeting you all online in the coming months.

Cheers,

Andrew.

James Feller
Frequent User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, 15 June, 2009 - 16:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome Andrew,

I'm 34 too. You don't have to be 150 years old, have a waxed moustache, monocle and talk with a plum in your mouth to own a Roller or Bentley. All you need to own these cars is a good sense of humour, reasonable wallet thickness and a tad of ecentricity.
Happy motoring mate!

oh P.s. the best advice I can give you is read read read about the cars. DIYers and shop talk abound and a great deal you can do yourself if you have the desire. If not find a trusted mechanic who knows these cars for any work thats beyond the mildly curious. In my case I can check oils and gauges and add fuel... that's about the extent of my hands on with them. In saying this though I read an awful lot about these cars and keep my car to a strict service schedule with my mechanic here in Sydney.

again happy motoring Andrew they are terrific cars and I hope it gives you great pleasure to own.

J
J

Brian Crump
Experienced User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, 15 June, 2009 - 17:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Andrew,
You will be very welcome as a member of the RROCA. You do not need to sort out the NSW registration first.
The Club has members in all age groups and from all walks of life. Just go to http://nsw.rroc.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=30 and fill out the form.
I look forward to receiving your application.
Regards,
Brian Crump
Membership Secretary
Senior Vice-President
RROCA (NSW Branch) Inc.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Monday, 15 June, 2009 - 18:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmmm. I detect some gerontaphobia here. And James has me worrying that I DON'T have a monocle or waxed moustache. But I do effect a plum in the voice to give the impreshon that I have had a educashon! Mind you if you want to see the vivisection of a '72 Shadow motor come a little South Drew and join those at or under (not sure which)the seat of government. Better still join both. The NSW people are quite nice but so are we, well I am.

Seriously, I hope Drew that you are the first of a batch of 'young ones' because I for one see myself shortly being relegated to the back seat of the Spur with a hot water bottle, a rug and spare batteries for my hearing aid!

Andrew Lark
New User
Username: drew

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 17 June, 2009 - 14:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone.

James - I certainly have a sense of humour, I've owned British cars since I was 14 so having the ability to laugh is compulsory. As for eccentricity, I've got that covered! :-) I've been doing lots of reading and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the Shadow. I've got a shed 3/4 finished that is a little higher on the priority list.

Brian - thanks for the welcome to the RROCA - my NSW rego is only days away, I'm just waiting for my number plates to be pressed and delivered and it's all sorted. Blue Slip is done. It will most likely line up nicely with the start of the new membership year on 1st July.

Bill - certainly no gerontophobia on my behalf, I joined my local amateur radio club when I was 19, most of the other members were retired and the average age must have been closer to 70 than 19! :-) We live near Mount Victoria, around 120 km from Sydney and 300 km from Canberra - so travelling to weeknight mettings of either club may not be achievable.

Cheers all,

Andrew.