Something different Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Something different « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, 16 February, 2005 - 11:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well David, I certainly can't argue with that as far as computers go. Its a crying shame that coachbuilders have gone by the wayside, for, although some designs were horrendous (as per Nubar Kulbenkian's Silver Wraith), some were extremely beautiful. In any case whatever the design, it was a direct reflection of the original owner's personality. There are still some car builders with a pioneering spirit though.
There is a young chap in Dandenong who is in awe of 1930's styling and has built a concept car in view of putting them on to a limited market. Not a Rolls-Royce, but certainly with the right Spirit (pun not intended). Perhaps you may be interested in visiting the website. It is;http://www.devauxcars.com/ Quite an imaginitive young man I think.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 417
Posted on Wednesday, 16 February, 2005 - 12:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Robert,

This site is well worth visiting for anyone who appreciates classic European pre-WWII sports cars.

Martin Cutler
Prolific User
Username: martin

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, 17 February, 2005 - 13:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice car, I would have continued the tear drop shape of the front guard in the rear guard as well, the rear guard running around the high line doesn't look as good, or follow the design of the front.

The Mk VI has a tear drop shape guard, whereas my Mk VI Freestone & Webb has a double curve shape which runs from the front guard right through the doors, then is repeated in the rear guards.

Not sure which I like better from a design point of view, single curve tear drop or double curve. There is a Hooper bodied Wraith in Sydney with single curve guards, no knife edge, the guards completely dwarf the rest of the body.

Marty

Martin Cutler
Prolific User

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, 17 February, 2005 - 13:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Double Curve Design

Rough photo showing double curve design guards as opposed to teardrop shape.

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, 17 February, 2005 - 14:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, it is a nice car isn't it? So's the MK6 in the photo. You could have a point about the teardrop to the rear as well but I still like it.
I'd like to see how it goes with a B60 type motor transplanted from a disused Vanden Plas Princess R. Thinking of that, has anyone heard about the recent whereabouts of the Austin Healey experimental car that was also powered by this Rolls-Royce engine? I haven't seen it for over a decade and it was a bit shabby then. I believe only three were made of which one was in Oz.
PS. I've just noticed that I now have the title of Grand Master. Grand Master of what? I wonder.

John Dare
Grand Master
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, 17 February, 2005 - 14:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, you should worry about such a Grand "title"?. A good friend of mine (R-R & B owner!) was earlier "told" today, to, "Get a life". As he remarked.. "well at least I have a JOB!" (even though he is "titleless", so to speak!)

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, 17 February, 2005 - 15:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Indeed, indeed! I shall now be known as the Grand Master of the Lifeless.

Martin Cutler
Prolific User

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, 17 February, 2005 - 16:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can see why he designed it that way, the rear is set up with a little flickin it, but the positioning of the number plate, and over riders is abysmal. A "frenched" number plate would be much better, with the over riders set closer and frenched as well. He frenched the tail lights and blinkers, why not the number plate? Repeating the design of the front wings to the back would have simplified construction as well, that is one BIG piece of fibreglass!

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, 17 February, 2005 - 21:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Martin,
I'm guessing! But maybe the capriciousness of obtaining an Engineer's Certificate may have been the deciding factor but a'frenched' number plate would certainly be in keeping with the concept.

Martin Cutler
Prolific User

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, 18 February, 2005 - 07:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert,

http://www.bdcl.org/History_embiricos.htm

This shows a thre quarter front view, anybody found a rear view of the Embiricos Bentley? My books at home only show front and side views, and reveals the Embiricos bentley was built in France.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, 18 February, 2005 - 08:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martin Robert this is a quick pix of the Pourtout built Embiricos Bentley.
The name was for the Greek racing driver A.M.Embiricos the design was by Paulin.
Clocked at Brooklands by Captain G.E.t.Eyston at 115.05 mph.for 10mins,the factory took note and then the continental was born.
the car raced at Le Mans in 49, 50, 51,

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, 18 February, 2005 - 21:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Leapin' Lizards ( or should I say frogs?), you can certainly see where the inspiration came from. I think this young chap should study this car at length, don't you? actually, I forgot about the Embiricos and let's not forget the original Corniche of the same era. That car was reputedly? bombed into oblivion in WW11. At least there were photos of it made for posterity.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, 21 February, 2005 - 06:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert the Corniche was smashed up in France while on testing trials with the Wraith V12 engine.
It was capable of 109mph but i dont know if this speed was with the early 4.250cc engine or the V12.
It was taken to Dieppe for transporting back to GB
but had more damage from enemy action! making it more of a write off.

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, 21 February, 2005 - 08:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's right Pat. I can remember now. I don't suppose anyone has photos of its power plant.