Does anyone know this car? Comments? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Does anyone know this car? Comments? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Damien
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.61.5.34
Posted on Sunday, 19 June, 2005 - 23:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2400451&current_rec=3&used_rec=14&total_rec=11&sort_type=&total_rec=11&sort_type=&make_id=32&state_id=-1&search_distance=25

The car has been sold - a seemingly excellent deal, but was it really? Car is apparently excellent - no rust, AU delivery, excellent original interior, and all parts required are supplied.

What is the life expectency of these engines? The seller claims one cylinder is 15psi down as compared to the others, but that this is related to the head rather than the bottom end. Is this plausible? Surely at 87,000 miles this is highly likely?

It was for sale several months ago. I missed it then and missed it again (a deposit was taken last time, but finance was unobtainable)!

(Message approved by david_gore)

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, 20 June, 2005 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Damien,
I firmly belive that there is no such thing as a bargain and everything tells me, that unless you love a restoration challenge and have bottomless pockets. Run a mile young man. Run a mile.
If you are serious about obtaining a Rolls-Royce and I hope you are as we need more of you, then save your pennies and shop around. If you haven't already done so, join the R-R.O.C. in your State. This is the best way to familiarise yourself with the marque and what to look for. Be patient Damien, there are plenty of good ones out there, but remember the old saying. You only get what you pay for.

Peter Colwell
Experienced User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, 21 June, 2005 - 06:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The seller calims one cylinder is 15psi down compared to the others, but that this is related to the head rather than the bottom end. Is this plausible?

Not only plausible, but irrefutable, and it confirms that the seller knows three fifths of nothing about the car.

I agree 110% with Robert, I too have been looking for a particular car and it is amazing what is passed off as 'excellent' condition.

Engine life expectancy is more related to the owner than the engine, - in any vehicle. If you are not mechanically inclined and experienced, have someone who is do the inspection, - sometimes apparent major faults may be minor, and conversely, a slight miss in the exhaust note may mean a major repair.

Peter}

Damien
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.61.5.31
Posted on Tuesday, 21 June, 2005 - 12:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter,

I can't quite grasp the meaning of your message - if you agree the seller is correct in what he says, how is it that he knows nothing?

So it is entirely impossible that there could be a slight loss of compression from one valve that isn't quite sealing correctly?

Peter Colwell
Experienced User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, 21 June, 2005 - 14:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, Damian. It was just that the statement indicated that his mechanical knowledge is well below par, and therefore there could be problems with he car that he might not be aware of.

His statement is very strange, and that was what prompted me to post. Partial loss of compression has absolutley nothing to do with the bottom end..

Yes, it is very likely that the slight loss of compression is due to a valve leak. Easily checked.

Peter

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, 21 June, 2005 - 19:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I believe I know this car. If it is the car it has quite low compression on one cylinder. The obvious problem was in the head either a gasket or a valve. It was decided to remove the head. None of the people involved nor God could achieve this. The heads on these very old cars are simply glued on with corrosion. Since then I know of a puller that has been devised that should get that head off without destroying the block. Note I said should. If any of you are contemplating taking this job on you would need to be a little more practiced in the art of mechanics that dialling your nearest garage!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 813
Posted on Wednesday, 22 June, 2005 - 00:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As an adjunct, be very wary of any car sold with a so-called minor defect. If it were minor, then it would have been repaired already.

Shadow heads can be skimmed but once. Due to the geometry, once a head is skimmed once, there is not enough material to skim it again. You can expect that this car needs at least one new cylinder head. That is if you can get it off at all as Bill points out.

Also, even if dry now, expect that some weep holes will leak after removing a cylinder head. The liners nip the nead gaskets to seal the heads, Removal means that the liners move and disturb the liner o-rings.

RT.

Damien
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.61.5.31
Posted on Tuesday, 21 June, 2005 - 21:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

This is the sort of thing I was after, thank you.

What was the rest of the car like? Any issues of note?