I realize I am crazy, however if I we... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » I realize I am crazy, however if I were to buy another one, what would I buy? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
Experienced User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, 12 November, 2006 - 06:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So, as you know, I have a 82 Spirit...

I know this sounds stupid, but I want another Rolls.

What would I get?

I was thinking about a Corniche, but I really do not like the idea of a convertible. I could get a hard top corniche, however that would be in the 70's years, and I am worried about getting a car from the 70's unless it is an exceptional car.

I also thought about a Camargue.. A bit unusual I think as well (something I like)

And I could always go older - maybe a Cloud or something like that but I have always felt the cloud was a little larger then what I like.

What would be my best bet? Anyone have any ideas? I would enjoy something like a coupe I think...

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Sunday, 12 November, 2006 - 23:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Corniche's were made in the 1980 and look like a 2 door Shadow.

I dislike rag tops because security, the expense of the top when it gets tatty which is bound to happen as the years roll past and the wind noise plus rag tops weight more because of the extra metal work to keep the car torsional stiff.

The older the car the more likely the rust problems.

I find Clouds a bit ungainly and to big on the out side and too small inside, plus thye are not that good to drive, very much a passenger's car rather than a driver's car.

However having said that check out a Dawn.

Trouble with Dawn's is that it was RR early attempt at an all steel standardized saloon which went rusty and finding a not ever been rusty one is hard.

But there are coach built coupe versions of the car some of which look quite nice.

This also applys to the Cloud. However in the main both the Dawn and the Cloud tended to be Bentleys when coach built due to the differculty in designing a shape around the RR rad grill which did not look ungainly.

as for price I recently heard of a 1950,s coach built 2 door bentley in need of total restoration fetching £10,000 at auction. The cost to restore was reckoned at least £50,000 but that would have been a cheque book job where the customer returns in 6 months and gets a near new car back--- and signs a Cheque.

Normally most restorers would want stage payments so that the customer never owns too much money and cash flow does not bust the garage.

I used to ask for a £1000 and then when the money runs out ask for more.The customer would then inspect the work so far to insure that it is being done to standards.

One of the advantages of PROPERLY restored cars is that at the car often has better modern materials used and you get to chose a color that you like rather than what is available.

But before you get in to deep you must actually drive an example of what you are wanting in case you don't like it.

Last car I done was a MG Midget (1996). Unfortunately for the owner he did not like the way an MG Midget drove, very bumpy ride. He thought it would be more like a MGB and he sold the car at a loss which always happens because the cost of restoration will exceed the value of the car. He was a bit silly because he could have tried a Midget. There are quite a few around and I suggested that he buys a freshly restored one at a much cheaper price but he would not have it. I also got a bit annoyed because the car won a 3rd best of show award and he claimed that he had done the work himself.

Try a Jag E Type hard top. These are much cheaper than a roadster and they drive better.
£25,000 buys a very good one, with updated brakes.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, 13 November, 2006 - 17:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try a Jag E Type hard top. These are much cheaper...

I get the feeling money is barely an issue here if at all. Especially just after spending $2700 on repairs to the '82. Drivability, less inconvenience, and being a Rolls are of more importance.

Larry

(Message edited by Larry Halpert on November 13, 2006)

Jonas TRACHSEL
New User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, 13 November, 2006 - 21:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jason
I see you are looking definitely for an R- or S-Type Continental or a Flying Spur. You have a good but expensive taste...
Jonas

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 795
Posted on Tuesday, 14 November, 2006 - 10:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well for mine I would plug for the Camargue. There are still excellent ones around. They are the most comfortable and quiet of all post-war RR's in my opinion, have no serious foibles and while they are not in great demand they must appreciate unlike their sisters.

John Shostrom
Frequent User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, 15 November, 2006 - 09:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, Jason, I suggest you first get your present Rolls-Royce absolutely up to snuff before you get into another one. Having said that, personally I would agree with Bill about the Camargue. Especially the later models with rack and pinion steering and HSMO hydraulics, I have found them to be the best handling of all the modern Rolls-Royce.

Jason Pfeiffer
Experienced User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, 16 November, 2006 - 16:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all for the responses. I think I am going to get mine up to 100%, and then maybe start looking for a flying spur and/or a Camargue (that is if I can pronounce the latter)

I really do love those Corniche fixed head coupes though... I am just scared to death of getting one in bad repair that is going to overheat in the Tucson Summers.

And yes, Money is always an issue.. The total cost of repairs to the 82 this last go around was 4500 - thats after 4 new tyres, the electrical work was 2700, some others things, slight tint on the windows, and a freshing up of the atarter... It adds up - but I dont have many vices, so what the heck? Pay now or pay later?

Also, we changed some vacuum hoses. WOW, what a difference that made. I use to always be in fear of stalling out at the stop light, or the engine trying to stall after starting, but no more. The difference is amazing.