Installing -ve earth radio in + ve ea... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Installing -ve earth radio in + ve earth car « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Taxis
New User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, 03 August, 2008 - 14:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 1951 Mk 6 which is +ve earth.
All the new radios, CD players are -ve Earth.
If I install the player such that it is entirely insulated from any metal work and then run a fused + wire to the battery and un fused negative earth to the - ve battery terminal will this work or will I have other problems
Rgds
Mark

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 776
Posted on Sunday, 03 August, 2008 - 20:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It will work but the aerial may need to be isolatated,also on some the speakers may need to be isolated.

IMO better to convert car to -earth.
Think we delt with this on past postings.
A search should reveal.

(Message edited by pat lockyer on 03 August 2008)

Mark Taxis
New User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, 03 August, 2008 - 22:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Patrick I will have a look at the posting on changing the earth.
In actual fact it will not be too hard to fit a new radio in my car. It is a Mk6 special with a Harry Rose fiberglass body, The dash is all wood, so again no earthing problems, I was considering putting a stacker unit in the cubby hole called a boot, but the big issue is where to put the speakers as they tend to be a bit bulky
Rgds
Mark

Martin Cutler
Frequent User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, 04 August, 2008 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,

My Mk VI was converted to negative earth, so runs A/C and CD player, etc. My 1955 MG Magnette that I use as an everyday car is still positive earth, and I run a radio which is isolated straight off the battery. Speakers are OK, but aerial is an issue. I did have a rather good one, which was a thin strip of wire sticky taped to the inside of the windscreen, worked really well. Unfortunately when I put a new screen inI couldn't find another aerial, so now I have one wound up in the glove box. Works OK, but not as good.

Cheers

Marty

Jeffrey McCarthy
Frequent User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, 10 August, 2008 - 20:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark -there is a shop in the US which sells a 'converter' for -ve earth radios in +ve earth vehicles. This must mean presumably that such things are available from elsewhere as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-8-12-Volt-Positive-to-Negative-Ground-Radio-Converter_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80741QQihZ020QQitemZ300248292084

Jeff