Driving the Shadow in Switzerland: do... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Driving the Shadow in Switzerland: do You Tube? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeroen Wonner
Yet to post message
Username: jeroen

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 13 March, 2007 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good evening from Luxembourg.

I've been reading the forum since 2004 now and finally decided to register. My contributions will remain modest since I don't actually own a RR. I really love the cars and all the technical bits I can learn about them on the forum though.

I'd like to share something I discovered on the net, the YouTube website more precisely. You probably know it, but for those who haven't seen this movie go ahead and click the link below. Someone who calls himself "brunosilvershadow" posted an excellent video of himself driving his car through the Swiss Alps. Enjoy !

PS: maybe YouTube would be a good/easy/handy way of sharing various technical skills with the forum. Lots of technical "how to" and DIY topics can be accessed already. Oh well, in the mean time I'm enjoying T-one topics "old style"! I quite fancy Bill Coburn performing his magic in front of a video camera though!

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yzz7r1FX2w
(if link doesn't work, try typing "driving the shadow" in YouTube's search engine)

PPS: for those of you with a passion for Rolls Royce Merlin airplane engine static runs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJuS0jR6_E4
Mind you: this bloke's garage ceiling almost comes down on starting the thing!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Tuesday, 13 March, 2007 - 10:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf3QNUn1SpY&NR

It is best with sound.

The dashboard photo below, complete with VDO clock, was nicked and named as being of a 1969 Silver Shadow. It is of our Canberra 1972 T-Series SBH13247 no less, and from my own camera.

RT.

Jeroen Wonner
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 14 March, 2007 - 05:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for sharing this one Richard; I missed it while scavenging for the Shadow thingies on YouTube. I love the black and white publicity picture of that early car on the beach. And yep, that song really is great.

Re. the picture: I guess copyright is difficult to enforce in these circumstances! It's the inevitable downside of sharing your stuff with the general public. On the upside, I suspect this forum is incredibly valuable for owners of the cars, and it certainly provides me with a useful passtime after work !

What a terrific dashboard though; even with the safety padding it really is the dashboard of the early models that does it for me. 1972 is the year I was born, so if only I can convince my wife that Shadows make great shopping carts...

Glad I registered. Take care.

(Message edited by Jeroen on 14 March 2007)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 872
Posted on Wednesday, 14 March, 2007 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Jeroen/ I can't let your post go by without thanking you for the thought of my appearing on U Tube. Since my grand daughter appeared naked on the back of The Age on Monday I fear the paparazzi will find us and my life will be Hell. I mean look at poor young Leo DiCapprio and his visit to Israel - I would not want that situation! Thank you for your kind thought though. I think your wife should do one of the Club courses 'Shopping in a Rolls-Royce for Couples' which is structured into three stages and includes mid level karate for trolley users who bang into your car, advanced blameless infanticide for snotty nosed kids who frum up your windows and a short extra course to practice the withering stare when asked a number of questions including 'emmachisitt' 'owfustigo' 'wedgeagetit' and an adjunct professional demonstration in the application of capsicum spray for the odd social comentator whose observation usually runs along the lines of wodjadryvabloodyheeplykthetfor! Let me know if she is interested and I'll see if I can get a place for her. Must go it's pill time!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Wednesday, 14 March, 2007 - 08:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeroen, and greetings from Switzerland,

I did think that Youtube presentation rather a good collection of post-1955 cars.

You mention the first T-Series shown to the public and pictured on the beach. The numberplate 1900TU was used on first-release Bentleys for years to come. Below is another photo of the same car, taken about to overtake a lucky cameraman at high speed on the M1 in the UK (no speed limits were imposed back then). No doubt it was on the way to that beach. The pictures are from during the release phase of the SY cars.

You may notice that we Australians are not at all worried about copyright in isssues which are not commercial. I am just amused when my material pops up in the strangest of places.

RT.

Jeroen Wonner
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, 16 March, 2007 - 06:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good evening gentlemen,

Bill: I wasn't thinking of a "Paris Hilton"-style appearance if you know what I mean (nutch nutch, wink wink), but thankfully you are not afraid of sharing your knowledge of things technical, not to mention your command of the English language! I must admit that after reading the forum as a non-native speaker for a couple of years on and off, it has had a certain (beneficial) influence on my vocabulary as well.

She Who Must Be Obeyed agrees on the Shadow thing in principle, and quite likes the model, but having young kids to look after (3 1/2 and 1 year old) AND a house to renovate (some 25 odd years) AND me not having an engineering degree or any other useful technical background we decided to rely on the modern family hack for a while yet ! I measured the garage and it still remains a distant possibility though !

Richard: it is indeed a nice presentation and what a great medium this site represents. I did miss the Rover SD1 Vandenplas (did I overlook it?), but the other great V8 driven piece of Brit metal was there: the original Range Rover. Fantastic presence; definitely my second choice to an early SY. I guess it shows that I was a young kid in the seventies... Impressive picture of 1900 TU. They (belatedly) began installing speedtraps here in good ol'Luxembourg too. I guess the times are over when police in the local wineproducing villages helped you get into the car when you had a bit too much to drink and couldn't quite find the keyhole !

More seriously: does any of you know about video material on "SY-DIY" topics? If Bill is afraid of the paparazzi whilst on pills (and who wouldn't?), who should I turn to for some pre-SY ownership enjoyment? I know that the American RROC has videocassettes on sale on how to overhaul the hydraulics, and they actually look quite interesting and worth their asking price. Unfortunately one has to subscribe as a member merely to order these things! This is not a judgment about their policy (membership benefits etc), and I must say that the contact person I dealt with was extremely friendly and helpful, but it just means that I am unfortunate enough not to live in the US and thus not getting much other use out of my membership fee were I to subscribe !

Anyway, enough for now. Below the link to the RROC's video website. Thank you for your kind reactions and ... au revoir as they say over here!

http://www.hyphenrepairsinc.com/videos.htm