It's been a while ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » It's been a while ... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Forrest
Experienced User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, 07 March, 2009 - 10:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

... since I posted on the forum but

I'm getting The Old Girl back
Although Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs have won all the battles I have won the war!
She is due to return home in a week or two and then I can start the recommissioning after her languishing in some God-forsaken revenooers compound for a full year.

Obviously she'll be getting an oil & filter(s) change, several litres of clean fuel in the tank, fresh anti-freeze, a new battery, brake discs cleaned and a goodly dose of upper cylinder lubricant squirted into each cylinder before attempting to start her but any other tips or hints as to what may be necessary will be greatly appreciated.

Luv & X's to all

KC Saayman
Frequent User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, 07 March, 2009 - 18:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is fantastic Jan!

What year and model is the old girl, and please keep us up to date. I share your excitement.

Regards

KC

Jan Forrest
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, 07 March, 2009 - 22:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

She's a 1976 SRH Model. You can find a few pics of her in one of the picture galleries which are associated with my website:
http://other.dye-subli.com/#10.0
The first 13 were mostly taken for insurance purposes before she was converted to run on LPG. The last 3 are of her being valeted prior to collection.
The first of these 3 shows how I fitted new fog lights into the existing shells as the original internals had rotted away, the new driving lamps bolted to the bumper top and the replacement mascot I fitted when a local junkie ripped Eleanor off her (the wings are in the glove box as I only fit them when I'm actually driving her).
The second of these shows the 100 litre LPG tank in the boot, currently exposed as she was still being valeted. The little box with the red wire on the top left of the tank is part of the sonic reversing aid, the transponders for which are mounted either end of the rear number plate.
I shall endeavor to keep all my Antipodean friends apprised of her adventures - both failures and successes - in the near future

Jan Forrest
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, 17 March, 2009 - 06:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

She's not home yet, but it shouldn't be more than a couple of days now. One of the jobs I would like to do before I put a few more miles under her bustle is to change the rear springs. To that end I'm enquiring whether any members of this forum are aware of a supplier of better quality and longevity springs in the UK - preferably the more civilized parts (Yorkshire)!
Anyone?

Jonas TRACHSEL
Experienced User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, 23 March, 2009 - 21:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jan
Try R.A. Chapman in Australia (www.rachapmanautomotive.com.au), they produce amongst other useful things an improved rear coil spring that will not sag with time. Unfortunately, you cannot shop for them just down your street, but I think the result will be worthwile the extra effort....
Jonas