40 Year Old Cars Do Not Need MOT Test Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » 40 Year Old Cars Do Not Need MOT Test « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Saturday, 17 February, 2018 - 09:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vehicles over forty-years-old in the UK will be MOT exempt from May 2018 on a rolling basis the Department for Transport (DfT) has announced despite road safety concerns.

Ben Curtis
Frequent User
Username: burgundyben

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, 19 February, 2018 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cars pre 1960 have been exempt from the annual test for a few years.

They are moving the date to a rolling 40 years old.

The cars are still required to meet the standard at all times. Given the number of cars that fail their MOT test everyday, and the small number of 40 plus year old cars, I really don't see this as a big issue.

Steve Emmott
Experienced User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 16:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think the French system of 'Controle Technique' (CT) is a reasonable compromise for classic cars as it requires testing just every 5 years. Other cars are a 2 year cycle rather than 12 months as in UK.

However what I do like about the French system is you have to provide a recent CT (MOT) if you want to sell a car if it has not been tested I recall about 3 months previously.

This would not be a bad idea to enforce in the UK IMHO as it would prevent anyone knowing there is something seriously wrong with their car like a rotting chassis and just selling the car to get rid of the problem on someone else.

I am of an undecided opinion though with the UK system with some of the unnecessary 'advisories' I see which are put on the certificate as some seem nothing more than the MOT tester trying to show they have looked over the car. Albeit, now when purchasing a car, the GOV.UK site does allow anyone access to all this information just by entering the registration number of the vehicle so can be a useful tool to help a buyer focus on potential issues.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 17:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree, the five year test on classics is a must.

As for advisories use as much as poss to cover your ass!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: