Project Cullinan spied in Italy Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Project Cullinan spied in Italy « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Tuesday, 19 September, 2017 - 19:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
While driving between Milan & Brescia along the Autostrada, Leanne & I decided to exit the motorway to one of the huge Autogrill facilities.

When we went upstairs to get some lunch I spotted this.

So down we rushed to get these pics.

Note in the above pics there is also what I would say is a new BMW SUV possibly with the same running gear.

There was also a new Phantom VIII.
The young guys in the pics are the drivers, with Leanne looking inside the PVIII
There was quite a crowd assembled as well.

All I can say it is HUGE!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 00:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

what amazing photos Patrick!!!
A big thankyou for these spectacular images

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 01:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No worries mate.

They must have some type of foil or a highly reflective tint as well, as all images taken through the window, were just like a mirror.
We could see inside ok, but the camera couldn't.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 04:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Incredible photos Patrick!So cool that you could walk up to them and peer inside. I like the paint scheme too.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 06:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mark.
I bet they would do it for you if you were happy to pay for it.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2672
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Did you use the flash when you were trying to photograph the interior?

I have had similar experiences in the past and now I always disable the flash and reduce the shutter speed when taking photos through glass. Works most times for me.

Great find on your part - obviously it was meant to be. I find it difficult to rationalise why manufacturers draw attention to their "test mules" with the attention-attracting "disguise" - at a minimum, I would fit a non-descript radiator grille and tail lights to make identifying the car more difficult.

IMHO, the only justification would be obtaining some free publicity for an imminent new model.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 616
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 09:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hate to be the contrarian here but those "things" have all the style and beauty of an adobe brick. Goodbye Parthenon grille. I, for one, miss you.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2017 - 15:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David.

I tried everything mate.

Just the reflection on the glass, but not a whole lot to see anyway, just heaps of test gear and tough books everywhere.

Christian,
I'm of the same opinion, as I am not a fan of the Bentley Bentayga either, but sell they do.

This will be the new must have for the super rich, regardless of the looks I feel.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Thursday, 21 September, 2017 - 20:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick that was good timing for you and your wife.
The RR cars are not painted but done with a Wrap.
The what I call an "ugly estate" is the prototype 4x4 SUV it says it all really for a new RR.
Pix "On test in Germany in March this year".

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2413
Posted on Friday, 22 September, 2017 - 00:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have no idea why Rolls-Royce or Bentley have decided to build SUVs.

I really can't imagine that there's a huge, pent-up demand for this type of vehicle even among the target demographics both companies are seeking.

Not every car company simply must produce an SUV.

Brian, who was hoping that the "Goodwood Phantom" design idiom might finally die what, for me, is a well deserved death. Unfortunately . . .

Mark Luft
Prolific User

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, 22 September, 2017 - 03:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, living in our area seeing another RR/B is rare as hens teeth. However, my wife and I have seen two Bentaygas in the last month or two. One in Leesburg and another in Warrenton. I had to do a double take both times, and both times they had soccer moms driving. So I guess that the market is out there.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Friday, 22 September, 2017 - 09:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

I hesitate to say it here, for fear of being excoriated, but Bentley has completely abandoned its traditional market and worked, very hard, to become "the bling car" with the Continental series and if sales are any indication they've been a huge success.

It surprises me very little that they introduced an SUV but it still shocks me that RR would seriously consider doing so. If they do so I do not expect huge sales, but I could be entirely wrong. There seem to be a lot of things that RR sells in non-western markets that would never fly here. There may be a huge demand, say, in China.

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Saturday, 23 September, 2017 - 03:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I too think it a bit sad they are going the way of "everyone else".
They certainly don't "need" to as sales of Phantom & Ghost are the best they have ever been, and their forecast for next year with their order book more healthy than ever, is looking like another record year.

The need for an SUV seems wrong and they are just as I said being like everyone else, which is what they shouldn't be.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Prolific User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, 24 September, 2017 - 18:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Phantom VIII on the pic has a trailer hook! Now, if building of an SUV is not enough of sacrilege, does RR intend the limousine to do an SUV's towing job ;)

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 00:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"JP": But where is the trailer to get one or the other of the SUV-prototypes home just in case?

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.97.73.87
Posted on Sunday, 24 September, 2017 - 19:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jean-Pierre

R-R and others have used trailers towed behind test mules for at least 80 years. I have no doubt this SUV will be required to do a towing job in service and that a tow hook is a prototype testing requirement.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Prolific User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 18:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think that hook is on a Phantom, not the SUV. This is what surprised me ;)
When I was at the dealership, they told me that a hook is not available for the Phantom, so I thought ''too bad'' and I never bought the car.

...don't take the last part too serious ;)

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Monday, 25 September, 2017 - 18:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And I thought it was a hybrid petrol/diesel electric 4x4 Phantom prototype!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 04:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick was the BMW towing the elusive trailer or was it on test or for some other purpose.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 13:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick.
Nothing was towing a trailer on this trip for these guys.

The only tow hook I saw on any of them was on the PVIII shown in pic 7 with my wife in the red vest looking in the window.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Monday, 09 October, 2017 - 09:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents.

Another couple of unusual cars spotted on our trip.
This time in Catania, Sicily.

The above Citroen SM, I have never seen before.
Sound quite beefy as well

There was a total of 5 leaving our hotel in the early morning.

The below covered up SUV was one of 3 at the hotel.
The small wheel centre caps gave them away as a Jeep.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, 10 October, 2017 - 00:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

These Citroen SM have a V6 Maserati engine and front wheel drive. To compensate for the heavy front they have a narrow rear track. It is said that these Citroen SM are the only cars that can have aquaplaning on the rear wheels before on the front wheels....

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 584
Posted on Tuesday, 10 October, 2017 - 01:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas,

Citroen or Jeep?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Tuesday, 10 October, 2017 - 01:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice info there Jonas.

They did sound quite good.

What made Citroen put a Maserati V6 into one of their cars?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Tuesday, 10 October, 2017 - 06:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick in 1968 Citroen owned 68% of Maserati, in 1969 they obtained full control with full ownership of Maserati.
The SM was well on its way what a car however the Citroen company was dept ridden by 1973 and in 1974 was bailed out by way of a merger with Peugeot owning 90% of the shares.
Peugeot not wanting any thing to do with Maserati or the SM so the end was nigh.

Fast forward thirty odd years and the last true Citroen V6 C6 was born, with all the bells and whistles it is the last top of the range Citroen with Hydractive 111+ suspension.
All Citroen cars have conventional springs and suspension now, the carpet ride is no more.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Tuesday, 10 October, 2017 - 09:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that information Patrick.

What a shame that this car, and others under its roof were canned, and what made them special was killed off.

Like all the others went to a standard crappy suspension and just another French car, and not the truely unique brand it once was.

At least now they are building some different things, which is good.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Experienced User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, 10 October, 2017 - 17:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As with the Bentayga the 'new RR SUV...cum cross over is as fuggly as the rest of the breed....chasing dollars with no class!

Maxwell Heazlewood
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, 10 October, 2017 - 17:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have spent a little time behind the wheel of a Citroen SM.....tre magnifique! Albeit in the dry
and on good roads and it's certainly an aquired taste the way they drive.
The engine is a real joy and loves to be revved.
They are starting to command big prices now after being in the doldrums for a while.
Citroen used the 2.7 litre quad cam V6 during a time
when Citroen had a tie up with Maserati....and all the better for it.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, 10 October, 2017 - 17:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For a while the SM was a stable-mate of the CX. I have owned more than a dozen Citroen CXs during the last 40 years - I have a 1988 CX25Gti now. It has been said that "If you drive a CX for five minutes you will never want to drive one again, if you drive a CX for an hour you will never want to drive anything else". It's true.

The CX was the model that followed the "iconic" DS/ID series. The nearest car to a French equivalent of RR/B - the president was carried in an armoured, souped-up CX, a "Presidential".

I use it rarely but often enough, like the T.

Where did this thread start?

Alan D.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Experienced User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, 10 October, 2017 - 18:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You can't be completely admonished Alan....you have mentioned RR/B ;o))
The CX series were indeed a lovely car.
I owned a C5 for about three years and found it to be wonderful in the suspension department....but a bit leisurely in it's performance.
Would love to get my hands on one of the last C6's.
Citroen is no different to practically every other manufacturer on this planet now by producing bland, samey cars that are so over loaded with technical wizardry that none of them offer any kind of individuality any more.....viv le difference! ;o))

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2441
Posted on Wednesday, 11 October, 2017 - 00:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This webpage on the C6 is worth a read:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/uncategorized/curbside-classic-2006-12-citroen-c6-classic-french-luxury-for-the-21st-century/

I never cared for the styling of this car at all. It was, to my eyes, bland as they come. However, in doing my quick web research I came upon this image of an station wagon/estate wagon:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/comment-image/459509.jpg

which I presume is either computer generated or a never-produced concept. It has way more visual interest than the sedan did.

Unlike both Renault and Peugeot (both of which are gone as of this writing), Citroën has never had a presence in the US market and is virtually unknown here. I have never seen one on the road in the US though I know there are some that show up for sale every few years that seem to change hands among those who are real gluttons for punishment in terms of "old car maintenance" in a market where parts are virtually non-existent.

Brian

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, 11 October, 2017 - 01:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The SM also had a habit of burning down from broken fuel injection lines....

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Wednesday, 11 October, 2017 - 02:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can vouch for the Citroen CX comments that Alan makes. I sat in his CX as a passenger and loved the ride. A lovely car indeed.
I have also had a love affair with Citroens - the fondest being with the SM. One of the sweetest cars ever made.
My current Citroen is an ID19 which I have owned for 5 years and driven only 400 metres

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Wednesday, 11 October, 2017 - 04:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very interesting gents, keep it coming.

It’s so good to learn about something that others have really loved or admired in the past.

Australia has a pretty healthy Citroen love affair, and I have seen many beautiful examples on our roads right from extremely ancient, to classic 60’s & 70’s, But never an SM.
There is one parts dealer near my home who has a huge business in wrecking and repairing Citroen.

The knowledge on all things automotive staggers me on this forum, thank you guys for teaching me about something new.

Whilst having a read about the SM, I stumbled across this image.
Who now has “Sphere Envy”?????

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Wednesday, 11 October, 2017 - 04:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

I don’t mind the look of that wagon. Great image.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Wednesday, 11 October, 2017 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, the SM has 5 spheres, by the pix one could be mistaken thinking there was four up front but the one behind the pulley is in fact the green color rotary hydraulic pump.
BTW the C6 has Seven spheres clever workings here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2q03XZugwg

Mark Luft
Prolific User

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, 11 October, 2017 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, Citroen used to by sold in the US. From Car and Driver: "When Citroën left the market in 1974, its only car was the Maserati-powered, wonderful-when-it-ran, semi-exotic SM coupe."
It has been gone far longer than Peugeot.

Mark, who remembers his neighbor with one of those weird SM things.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2444
Posted on Wednesday, 11 October, 2017 - 08:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

Then they had dealerships in very few locations. I can recall quite a few Peugeots (relatively speaking) on the road and even more Renaults, but I can't say that I've ever seen a Citroen other than on display.

There sure weren't any in Western PA, and if they left the market in 1974 I would have been age 12 at the time.

Brian

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 586
Posted on Wednesday, 11 October, 2017 - 08:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Maybe it was you I was thinking of. I have an old car and driver that has a review of the CX or SM.

If you want it, PM me and I'll send it out.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, 11 October, 2017 - 20:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The CX has most of the features of an SM. "DIRAVI" steering (Google it), FWD, narrow rear track, hydraulic/pneumatic suspension.... The CX had/has a transverse 4-cylinder engine from 2000 to 2500 ccs. My top-of-the-range CX25GTi has a 2500 with fuel injection, a beautiful ZF auto-box (only 3-speed but it doesn't seem to need more - the engine revs very smoothly), plus bells and whistles like lamp-fault indicators, door open indicators, ABS, electric sun-roof (which is a rust-trap pita) and temperature-controlled air-con plus the most comfortable seating I've sat in (as Omar has vouched). Because I've owned it from almost new (ex Citroen staff car) I know it hasn't been fiddled with by well meaning but destructive spanner-monkeys.

End of smug crowing, and I will never sell it.

Alan D.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Wednesday, 11 October, 2017 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan et all, I had a cx GTI white with black leather.
What a car.
One prob was the high pressure fuel injector pipe leak, lucky it happened on initial start up and did not catch fire.

Next car for the long trips cx was the prestige
masses of room and faultless in most departments.

The next cx's that I used up and down to London two to three times a week were the estates.
The first was a 2200cc diesel that was naturally aspirated and covered 300,000+ miles.
Toward the end it would when hot at speed going through a particular piece of road with a dip in it the car would take of on its own for a short distance leaving a smoke trail, this was of course the excess build up of oil in the inlet manifold from a heavy breathing engine.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2451
Posted on Thursday, 12 October, 2017 - 03:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is the dachshund of estate wagons. (And I don't mean that in a good way.) It may have been a marvel to drive but that exterior, oy!! It looks like something constructed from the "whatever spare parts we have left" box.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Thursday, 12 October, 2017 - 04:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great story Patrick.

Brian,
I must agree with you, they certainly are an acquired taste.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Thursday, 12 October, 2017 - 05:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is more, the next was a true flyer 2500 td diesel, this also had a low coefficient air drag with clean styling lines.

Then the turbo 11 LHD car this one finished life with 670000 kms showing.

And old faithful DS 21 1975.

And the continental express SM in the Algarve be fore my mishap.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Thursday, 12 October, 2017 - 11:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great bunch of cars mate.
You should be proud.

Some terrific k’s you covered!! Wow

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2452
Posted on Thursday, 12 October, 2017 - 12:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would almost give my eye teeth and/or right arm to own a DS 21 descapotable by Chapron.

I prefer the "glass covered" dual headlamps to the separate "bug eye" ones on the first example:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/1966-citroen-ds21-chapron-decapotable/

http://hooniverse.com/2011/12/14/for-sale-citroen-ds21-decapotable-by-chapron/

https://www.rmsothebys.com/pa14/paris/lots/1968-citroen-ds21-decapotable-by-chapron/1064889

https://frenomotor.com/citroen/citroen-ds-21-descapotable-subasta

That Sotheby's example, in blue, could convince me to go blue, though.

This page appears to be the definitive online history of said model:

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-cars/michelin/ds/chapron/chapron-01.html

Brian

Maxwell Heazlewood
Experienced User

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, 12 October, 2017 - 16:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick who's is the Rover P5B in the background of one of those pics? ;o))

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Thursday, 12 October, 2017 - 22:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Max, the car was a sale car that I once owned, a cracking V8 engine made the car a joy to drive.
The Merc to the rear of the lorry was an interesting car, same fuel injected engine that was in the Gullwing.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 596
Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2017 - 08:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

The gullwing? Must have been a real sleeper.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Experienced User

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2017 - 13:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick...regards thr Rover....we had an '82 Rover 3500SE for 22 years and it covered nearly 400,000klm when we sold it. In Oz we're lucky with the lack of rust and overall it was very reliable and super comfortable and handled very well. Te only things that gave problems werte cheap fittings and electrics but motor, gearbox and injection were no problems....I always did my own servicing and did oil changes every 8,000klm, gearbox every 25,000klm....the secret to a long life ;o)

The Merc would have had the 2.3 ltr six with Bosch mechanical injection yes?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2017 - 19:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Max yes the Bosch system with from memory the use of a leather diaphragm in the inj pump.

Strange that I still have a Rover 3500 SE kept for the not worn out running gear, if live long enough for use in a kit car.

A few pix of the car passing away peacefully.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Frequent User

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2017 - 20:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pattrick....OMG....what depressing pics!
Slowly returning to nature ;o)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1713
Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2017 - 22:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

That rust in the 3500 is amazing.

As Max said, we just don’t see rust like that here.

Well, not unless we leave a car on the beach for 10 years!

Maxwell Heazlewood
Frequent User

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2017 - 22:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick....after 22 years ownership our 'Regie'
started to show signs of rust in the front bottom
corners of th erta doors and around the base of the
screen. The time had arrisen as whether i was going to spend serious money on erradicating rust that I knew would return or offload...I chose the latter.....and along came 'Jeremy J. jaguar' a 1998
X308 XJ8 4.0 litre Sovereign finished in Sapphire Metallic with Oatmeal Interior. We've been together now for nearly 12 years and 215,000klm and has travelled to Western Australia twice ;o)

Maxwell Heazlewood
Frequent User

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2017 - 22:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2017 - 23:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Awesome looking Jag Max.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Frequent User

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2017 - 00:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks patrick...I try to keep JJ looking his best

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2017 - 00:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, you are doing a great job mate.

I’ve always liked that model.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Frequent User

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2017 - 00:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The X308 ran from 1998 to 2003 here in Oz before
the introduction of the all alloy X350
The X308 was the last of the Brown's Lane cars.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2017 - 03:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Max, a cracking good car you have there.
IMO the last of the Sir William Lyons and Sir John Egan designs.
Had a Jaguar XJ6 MK1 that was used as a back drop for the launch of the XJ40 to the world in London can't remember the place but it was on the 28th of August 1986. IMO Sir John Egan saved jaguar.
And Fords investment in the plant before it was sold off helped greatly to what Jaguar is today.

David Gore

Post Number: 2695
Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2017 - 08:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Grace with Pace - says it all..........

At the residential college where I lived during my University days, there were a number of shared "basket case" cars that were used until the day registration expired when they were driven to the wreckers and sold for whatever was offered. The menage of cars over the years included a Mark V and a Mark VII Jaguar - one memorable drive was a late night/early morning trip from Sydney to Newcastle and back in the Mark V to get hamburgers from Jim's Hamburger Bar at Mayfield which was then one of the very few places that stayed open all night in NSW.

I vividly remember getting the car over the magic "ton" [100mph] on the straight sections of the 2 lane Pacific Highway near Wyong which was the first time I had ever achieved this speed. Fortunately, no police were around as they were safely tucked up in bed and there was no absolute speed limit in those days only a "prima facie" limit where you had to prove you were driving in a safe manner [I later eclipsed this near Singleton with a timed run of 150mph in 1972 in my Falcon XY 351CID V8 - 6000rpm with a 3.23:1 diff ratio which gave 25mph/1000rpm].

Needless to say, I have suffered following the later imposition of unrealistically low absolute speed limits in NSW especially in the far west of the State however the Northern Territory retained no absolute highway speed limits until recent years when the accident rate increased dramatically largely due to Asian tourists who had never driven over 80km/hr in their lives entering corners at speed and turning too late with the consequence they ran off the road and hit immovable objects writing the car [and themselves] off.

One of the triggers for the imposition of absolute limits was a Japanese dentist who entered his Ferrari F40 in the inaugural "CannonBall Rally" and entered a check point at speed and completely out of control killing two occupants and two officials:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/354912/FIERY-CRASH-LEAVES-4-DEAD-IN-AUSTRALIAS-CANNONBALL-RUN.html

F40 plaque

A recent Bentley Continental GT Speed promotional video including a professionally driven absolute maximum speed test in the NT incurred the wrath of the "Nanny State" protagonists. The video link in the article is active and should be viewable:

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/features/1607/john-bowe-fights-back-over-banned-bentley-continental-gt-video

Maxwell Heazlewood
Frequent User

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2017 - 12:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, I have driven the Nullabor seven times and have been to Darwin twice and know those roads well.
The natural speed fore these roads is around 130-140kph and only at certain times of the day....never early morning or late afternoon unless you wish to get extra friendly with the wildlife
The big problem is caused by people who are not accustomed to traveling at high speed and because the roads are so long, straight and deserted, it has a hypnotic effect on many drivers. Another trap is the fact that it's not advisable to be traveling at continuous high speed when outside temps are in the 40+ deg.C.....not good for engines, cooling systems or tyres.
The fastest I have ever traveled across land was on my last trip back across the Nullabor on the stretch known as the "90 Mile Straight" (actually 143.6 klm) between Balladonia and Caiguna after I had the XJ8 serviced at Roadbend in Perth and it was a beautiful morning, no wind 22 deg.C, no traffic and I decided there and then to hammer it!
The speedo showed 263kph and my GPS showed 261kph. (163.4 mph) JJ was sitting there smooth as you like....wind noise was a bit of a problem, especially around the sunroof seal.
Up ahead was a 'Grey Nomad' in their motorhome and I had to make a quick decision....do I pass 'em?....but when you're covering the ground at 3/4 a klm per second (1/2 mile per sec.) it was time to act so, around 'em I went....Whooooosh!
That is the fastest I have ever travelled....did it once and never again....there are too many 'what if's'

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Sunday, 15 October, 2017 - 17:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

We have now returned home to Sydney after our driving trip from top to bottom of Italy & Sicily.

But I have one more car instalment.

We were collected from our hotel on a Friday morning after 3 days doing WWII research (plus a stop over to get back into our same time zone) in Singapore by this.

I have never seen anything like it.
I walked around the back of the car to get in and it was still dark, so I thought it may have been a Cadillac CT or similar.

Then I walked around the front & saw this.

What ever it is, it rode beautifully, and was very quiet indeed.
Nice car I thought, but no idea what it is.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Frequent User

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, 15 October, 2017 - 22:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Could be wrong but is it not a Toyota licensed high end production noy unlike Lexus?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Monday, 16 October, 2017 - 03:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

it is a Mitsuoka Galue

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 850
Posted on Monday, 16 October, 2017 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done Omar.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Monday, 16 October, 2017 - 07:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Omar,

I just looked that up.

A small Japanese almost like a boutique small make brand.

COOL!

Nice car to ride in, that's for sure.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, 16 October, 2017 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To Citroen lovers
This past Saturday, Oct.14, a 1974 Citroen SM in nice overall condition (would say a 2+) was auctioned off at the Oldtimer Galerie in Toffen, Switzerland. Sold for CHF 38'000 (= € 33'000) plus auctioneers' commission.
I will try to upload the auction results list in alphabetical order.

application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.documentAuction Results Toffen Oct 14
Auction Results 2017 10 14.docx (23.6 k)

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2458
Posted on Tuesday, 17 October, 2017 - 01:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I presume that must be a custom-modified Mitsuoka Galue. Either that or Mitsuoka dives into the old Cadillac parts bin for that rear end. Those tail lights are unmistakable and it looks like they just "glued on" the rear end of a 1990s vintage Cadillac without trying to match the body proportions at all.

It may be a wonderful car, but it's utterly unattractive to my eye from all angles.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Tuesday, 17 October, 2017 - 02:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe these two crackers may do your eyes wonders with car and femenine style.

Micra Based by the wheels.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2459
Posted on Tuesday, 17 October, 2017 - 05:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I actually think that treatment on the mini-car is very, very cute and quite well done. The front end that's visible flows beautifully from the windshield forward.

I might have guessed a Fiat 500 for the base car, never having been familiar with the Micra.

The bumpers seem to be well thought out, too.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Tuesday, 17 October, 2017 - 06:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They certainly are different

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Saturday, 21 October, 2017 - 16:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents
I know I said I had already posted the last images from my trip, but I couldn’t resist these, and I know you boys will enjoy them.
Firstly,
We went on a “Godfather” tour of Taormina in Sicily and we were held up on the motorway for 3/4 of an hour due to this.

Then in Singapore, if you have the USD listed here.

You can then drive any one of these.

There were plenty of people waiting in line to pay for a drive!!

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 605
Posted on Saturday, 21 October, 2017 - 20:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/10/20/spied-rolls-royce-cullinan-interior-caught-semi-exposed/

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 791
Posted on Thursday, 02 November, 2017 - 04:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like the Galue. Their web page shows the Car with rear styling which is more in the current Rolls-Royce look.
the site describes the different vintages of the Galue and the Japanese production cars which the company modifies to the intended appearance. A very creative approach I think.http://www.mitsuoka-motor.com/global/lineup/images/galue_ph08.jpg

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Friday, 03 November, 2017 - 21:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That actually looks really nice Randy.

They do make a superb riding car, even if the looks are an acquired taste for some.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2489
Posted on Saturday, 04 November, 2017 - 08:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, while I like that rear view, the view from the front is another matter entirely. See:

http://www.mitsuoka-motor.com/global/lineup/

They have, shall we say, very inconsistent output in terms of automotive beauty (and any originality). There are some really cute originals and worthy homages, but there are other abominations and I'd say the latter significantly outnumber either of the former two.

Brian

David Gore

Post Number: 3030
Posted on Monday, 22 October, 2018 - 12:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is a Cullinan road test report from the USA - interesting reading:

https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/rolls-royce-cullinan-first-drive-119839.html?ffref=smh&trackLink=SMH0.

Patrick Ryan - you were probably the first to publish photos of the test mules you saw in Italy.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Monday, 22 October, 2018 - 18:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

O dear this IMO is a big mistake the thing looked better in camouflage, looks like a box on wheels.
One good point is the fuel guage showing which side the filler cap is.

The bentley Bentayga has more style.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2659
Posted on Tuesday, 23 October, 2018 - 00:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks to be straight out of the SZ era of design with the vulgar Goodwood Phantom face.

And unless my eyes deceive me those instruments are "digital analog," which to me is ridiculous. I dread to think what those custom round displays will cost to replace were one to go bad.

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2019
Posted on Sunday, 28 October, 2018 - 08:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The design of the new Rolls-Royce Cullinan was done in Germany I believe, where the Bentley Bentayga was done in Crew by the English.

I agree with Patrick, the Bentley looks better.
As the Bentley was based on the VW Tourag floorpan and architecture they would have been somewhat limited as to what they could do. Considering this, they did a great job.

The Cullinan I understand is an entirely new architecture, so they had a free hand to design a truely beautiful SUV, yet this is what they came up with. Maybe they should have got the poms to design it and they wouldn’t have ended up with what looks like a chest freezer on wheels.

From a sales & marketing perspective, I understand why they HAD to do this, but the question is SHOULD they have done it?

Rolls-Royce have always done their own thing, with literally only a handful of models released since the first model released in 1906 until sold to BMW in 2000.

These cars were always very special, due to their unique engineering features, and sometimes they were years ahead of others in features & benefits in these cars.

The Cullinan is just another example of chasing market share, which of course Rolls-Royce never worried about before.

Not sure if I was one of the first David, but it was certainly a huge highlight in our trip to find these camouflaged cars, it was a bit of a thrill to be honest.

Brian,
Agreed, I think any spare part on these new models would be frightening

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Sunday, 28 October, 2018 - 13:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Cullinan will be to Rolls Royce what the Cimmaron was to Cadillac: An ugly, embarrassment that denigrates the marque.

Indeed a stupidity fueled by young accountants who could not tell the difference between a Cloud III and a left footed Chinese rollerskate.

The creator of the Cullinan should have been flogged like the family mule and the dropped into the Thames from a dangerous height.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: